System Shock 1, using BASSMIDI for higher quality music with soundfonts (.sf2)

1 Guest is here.
6647c85b66a77
JTD121Quote
Curious, since FfFCMAD brought it up, is there a better version of the original SS1 synths available for modern systems and/or DOSBox? Or configuration to use the OPL-based synth sounds, if I am understanding correctly?

I know for one of the Descent games, you can change the music used by swapping out a ZIP containing the music rendered on an OPL or SC synth....That might just be the ReBirth versions, though....:-/
6647c85b66c05
TarvisQuote
Thanks, Peter! This VirtualMIDI works for me too. No more pausing in-game.

It seems this uses the same sound engine as BASSMIDI does, so it's essentially the same thing but with more options. Good stuff.
6647c85b66d2c
irishQuote
Very nice, one thing that bugs me about playing SS1 now-a-days is I used to play it natively back when I had a Windows 98 machine and I had a sound library and a sound card that made the SS1 soundtrack shine. This isn't spot on to what it was, but its the closest it'll be.
6647c85b67077
GuyFawkesGamingQuote
To be honest BASSMIDI is a bit outdated now. If anyone's still reading this, I'd recommend you use Virtual MIDI Synth instead.
Also, Microsoft got rid of the midimapper in Windows 8 & 10. If you're on one of these systems, there's a video available here that shows you how to hack it as the default.

There's also a hacked GUS driver available here that enables use of gravis emulation with the enhanced CD version if anyone's interested in that.
UPDATE: I decided to try out the gus drivers and the music/midi driver is rather demanding, causing hangs at various parts, though the music isn't bad. The digital sound effects works perfectly though and actually sounds crisper than the plain old SB16 (possibly a placebo). I'll upload them to the site:
[USAIL311.ZIP expired]
[OFFAIL30.ZIP expired]
6647c85b67192
DEFINITELYSH0DANQuote
[USAIL311.ZIP expired]
[OFFAIL30.ZIP expired]

Anyone have this as FLAC? Could upload to Internet Archive

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact