6647256675df9

66472566763be
1 Guest is here.

Topic: System Shock 2 in the GoldSource engine by Ogdred
Page: « 1 [2]
Read 4409 times  

6647256676866JosiahJack

66472566768ca
Meh, it's all Quake to me.  Never cared much for multiplayer beyond coop and it's all been downhill since Quake 1 as far as that goes.  I tried remaking System Shock in a Quake engine, Darkplaces, but it's physics limitations were a no go.  Both Source and GoldSrc are no exceptions...both limit player character collisions to predefined non-rotating boxes not to mention the prebaked hulls in the bsp limiting character and crouch/prone sizes unless you want to change the compilers (possible but that code is a nightmare to dig through).  They're better than Darkplaces and at least support crouch cleanly, and crouch jump  :thumb: .  For a diehard fan like me, cutting leaning and prone were a no go.  I might have figured it out eventually but the UI code gets even more headachy too.

66472566769f8Godlike

6647256676a4a
Don't let it be another abandonet overestimated project. If you work alone just try to make med sci fully playable then move forward. When you stop developing all you created will be playable, not abandoned and forgotten

6647256676d63hemebond

6647256676dbb
I tried remaking System Shock in a Quake engine, Darkplaces, but it's physics limitations were a no go.
That's a shame, the content pipeline for Quake engine games is very accessible (even I can do it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amzrXf7aJ7M

6647256676f1cJosiahJack

6647256676f6c
Lol you did that video!  I keep seeing it pop up everywhere.  Totally agree that the Quake engine is amazing...which is why I made the Keep uber mod (shameless plug alert!).  I go by Qmaster in the Quake circles.  Everytime I see something amazing like this done in Quake I get the urge to switch hats again and Go Map! but I really need to finish my own "overestimated project" for SS1.

I may be in the minority but make the hardest parts of the game first like UI and enemies.  Medical (in both SS games) is so horribly overdone at this point.  I mean sure they're great levels for showing off all the core mechanics of the game and really set the atmosphere but if you're going to do a remake, work on the hardest aspects first like the UI, searching, HUD panels, the UI, puzzles, hacking, the UI....OK well maybe UI isn't so hard in goldsource, it's certainly awkward in Quake (CSQC but doable) and bothersome in Unity, but I have no idea if it's possible in goldsource.  Making the enemies work, even if just porting over the existing models, will be a good challenge too.

6647256677059hemebond

66472566770a3
Lol you did that video!
Just to be clear, that's not my video or my mod. Just wanted to share it to show some more ridiculous stuff people have done in Quake.
it's certainly awkward in Quake (CSQC but doable)
I've seen a lot of new menu stuff (menu.dat) for Quake recently.

66472566771a1Alexander

66472566771ec
what is strange, when you come to the door, you see the "button", as if a small "child" comes to the big door.
66472566772be
port System shock 2 in Sven coop?
Regarding Half-Life, did Valve or any of the game's fans/modders ever fix the 'elevator bug'? The one whereby seemingly at random when going up or down in an elevator, you'd somehow seem to get stuck to the floor, and when the elevator stopped you couldn't move or jump? Or even on rare occasions you'd actually take damage from the bug, too. I've not seen the bug in years, as far as I can recall, but I always jump like a lunatic when in elevators as that seems to to prevent the bug from triggering.
Nope, still happens on the Steam version of the game and Sven Co-op.

66472566779b2sarge945

6647256677a0f
Nope, still happens on the Steam version of the game and Sven Co-op.

I've played through the game countless times and, at least the steam version, seems to be largely fixed. Maybe I've got gotten really lucky

There's one elevator in Opposing Force that always has the bug though
1 Guest is here.
Not a lot of people have that kind of information.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6647256677af6