🔒 System Shock remake and System Shock 3

2 Guests are here.
664cb81619c7d
foxQuote
Half Life was very much a straight up FPS, a genre that lost a lot of its thunder - much like pc gaming itself. I'm pretty sure that Gabe Newell himself mentioned something to that effect years ago when asked about the reason for the lack of a new HL game. I think it was mainly a case of "stopping at the top of your game and remain a legend"-kind of thing, at least until some real Wow-effect can be achieved again. In 2016 PC gaming seems to pick up some, um, steam again.
664cb8161a3a7
unn_atroposQuote

Quote by System Shocked:
Nevertheless, given VALVe's employee personal freedom choices on which project they prefer to work on at any given moment/time, what are the chances that HL3 gets released at about the same time as SS3? That would truly be gaming NIRVANA, and a moment in gaming history for all of us to experience first hand!
While it is of course awesome to get System Shock 3 and I would be very happy to have Half Life 3, your scenario of releasing them both at the same time is something I actually dread. I want Sys3 to have a lot of echo in the gaming media, high sales and reckognition. Having HL3 coming out (Gordon on the closet world of Xen?^^) at the same time would overshadow Sys3 immensly. Hl1 did so 16 years ago and back then it came out even one year prior to Sys2. Sys1 suffered through the success of Doom back in 1994.

Luckily a Half life 3 in the next three years is rather unlikely. I'm not up to date with potential new game hits to come out in the next few years, but I hope there is nothing else to steal the show from System Shock 3.
664cb8161a4fe
TachikomaQuote
Looks like the guy really love walking simulators and hate violence in games as well. And how he hate Lolipop Chainsaw, he said it shouldn't exist at all. I think Deus Ex was the last good thing he worked on (don't forget that he was involved in Invisible War). I'm not saying he will ruin SS3, however I have mixed feelings and so I'm skeptical.

Besides, I don't think he contributed a lot to the series unlike Dough Church. I'm actually surprised they didn't contact him instead. Since Night Dive is there, maybe they're reading this thread too and will try to get him.
664cb8161a6ea
Producer_chrisQuote
Selling Warren short is kind of silly. The guy has a string of hits and a track record better than most in the game industry going back almost 30 years. Saying he wasn't involved as much as Doug in SS is crazy talk. It just doesn't work that way in a LGS type company. The producer, designer, eng exc all have massive input. Trust me, been working with these guys for years, a person's title doesn't really matter in this environment.

I do love this storyline about how old game designers lose their mojo. Seems to me the ones still doing interesting stuff is not old or young, but smart and talented. Ken Rolston did Oblivion in his 50's for example. Did he lose a step? No, that is arguably his best work ever. The beauty about having a very veteran core is gasp--we have all done it before. So many mistakes learned over years. The what if's and what could have beens are still fresh in our heads. We do remember feature 332 that we didn't get to do in Thief. Or the missteps made in the Shock games. Those are not armchair experiences for us, that is personal history. That is just as much a memory for us as our kids being born or our wedding. I haven't talked to Warren about Shock yet, but I bet he has a laundry list of stuff he disliked about any number of his games, and ideas on how to address them.

As for Epic Mickey--it's flawed, but if there is a console game out there that has the DNA of Looking Glass--it's that game. All the tenets of player agency and whatnot are in there. Why did he do that project? My guess is he loves cartoons--his first game was Toon after all. Love it or hate it, if Disney walks up with a big check, let you do the game your way, hell they redesigned Mickey for it, you take the chance. It's not like it was a failure, it just wasn't 'hardcore'.
664cb8161aaf6
RocketManQuote
Tensions are high with anticipation and uncertainty demands that we resurrect some of our fears and doubts but I think the majority of us are very happy to have Warren on the team and think he will only add to the success of this game.  Please look past any negativity, as it is only a natural human impulse to focus on the negative.  Let's face it.  There's a lot of trash out there.  Some of the less impressive works were sequels to awesome games.  It's not easy to live up the high standards you have set for yourselves when making a sequel.  BUT, I think this dev team has what it takes to pull it off.  We're just a little nervous because this game is 22 years old and our assholes have been puckered for a verrry long time waiting for this moment. 

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact