System Shock mouselook/key mapping/high resolution mod (DOS/Classic)

1 Guest is here.
664a102032ad4
ImmerQuote
Hmm, as for the "invisible force" - I suppose that depends exactly how exactly your code interacts with the game's.  If you can directly read and modify the 3D orientation variables used by the game then you can probably just modify them to account for mouse-control and let the engine handle the tumbling wherever it normally happens.  Provided neither codeset makes any assumptions about what the orientation was a moment ago (and I can't imagine why it would), everyting should work out fine.
664a102032bca
pauloQuote
I'd ask something a little different and more challenging:
Please look at the ultima underworld games for the same purpose - they are probably (i think demonstrably because of some badly remembered remake projects) the same or a earlier version of the engine, and lack mouselook too.
664a102032c67
pauloQuote
Is the mousewheel usable now?
664a102033461
Malba TahanQuote

Quote by Immer:
I have done a fair amount of C programming, so I should be able to work with whatever you've got. [...]
Once I clean up my code I'll upload it, so you can take a look at it then.

Quote by Immer:
Hmm, as for the "invisible force" - I suppose that depends exactly how exactly your code interacts with the game's.  If you can directly read and modify the 3D orientation variables used by the game then you can probably just modify them to account for mouse-control and let the engine handle the tumbling wherever it normally happens.
I have already sort of figured out where in the code the game applies forces to the player, but I think I'll take some time to fully understand it. But whenever I try to apply the mouselook rotations (yaw, pitch and roll) to the cyberspace movement, it seems to work OK for an instant and then it starts to act strangely. It looks like the up, left and front vectors aren't being rotated... well, you'll see it after I upload my code :)

Quote by paulo:
I'd ask something a little different and more challenging:
Please look at the ultima underworld games for the same purpose - they are probably (i think demonstrably because of some badly remembered remake projects) the same or a earlier version of the engine, and lack mouselook too.
Despite being an interesting project to work on, I don't think it's possible. I've already taken a look at the disassembly of Ultima Underworld and played it a little bit, and here's what I figured out:
- System Shock is a 32bit game. Ultima Underworld is 16 bit. That means that, even if they share part of their C source code, their binaries are completely different.
- When I try to look up or down in UU, I notice that there are "discrete" possible angles (pitch). So, even if someone creates a mod for UU to add mouselook, it will probably suck, because you'll have only about 8 or so possible angles to look up-down.

Quote by paulo:
Is the mousewheel usable now?
No, not yet.
664a1020335ac
ToxicFrogQuote
This is pretty awesome. I'd also very much like to see the code; after releasing the high res mod, I spent a while trying to get key mapping working, even speaking to Marc LeBlanc about it at one point, but for a variety of reasons it never went anywhere. So, I'm very interested in seeing how you did it.

I'm also pretty happy that my patch has gone from "maybe someone will find this interesting" to "it's part of SS Portable" to "holy shit we have MOUSELOOK". :)

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact