🔒 Cutscenes only play sometimes (patch 2.4)

1 Guest is here.
6649b3f7c6639
KolyaQuote
It says lgvid.dll: Failed to find/load ffmpeg.dll, no movie playback possible altough I assume you have that file, since you used the SS2Tool.

It might be a problem with the ffmpeg library itself, see here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/forums/forum/597594/topic/5014187

I don't have a solution for this right now.
6649b3f7c676f
shredheadQuote
Ah, I didn't see that line! Thanks, that narrows down the problem a bit.

ffmpeg.dll is definitely in the game folder. I'm not sure what to gather from the link you posted, however. I know a fair bit about codecs, but not when it comes to compiling them from source code and stuff like that.

I reformatted recently, so maybe I should reinstall the K-Lite codec pack and see if that helps?

It's the weirdest thing because when I re-extract the game, the cutscenes work fine the first 2-3 times I run it, and then they suddenly give up. Very confusing.
6649b3f7c6875
KolyaQuote
I wouldn't recommend installing the K-Lite Codec pack in this case. SS2 uses it's own ffmpeg.dll and K-Lite will make no change.
What I meant with the link was that there may be a problem with the way this particular ffmpeg.dll has been compiled. Which is nothing we could do much about.
However the fact that it always works after extracting a new game seems to point at a different type of problem. Did you try turning off your antivirus temporarily? Some sort of security software that may lag/hang and deny access when SS2 tries to load the same ffmpeg.dll repeatedly. That would explain why the game cannot find it sometimes. It's still just a guess though.
6649b3f7c697a
shredheadQuote
I just re-extracted the game a few more times, both with and without SS2Tool, and the cutscenes never played. I also turned off my antivirus, and turned on/off just about all the commands in cam_ext.cfg - no change.

I'll bet than if I run the game again in an hour, it will work a couple times, then stop again. It really is completely random.

Perhaps there's some kind of problem with the lgvid.dll and/or ffmpeg.dll provided in 2.4. Replacing the method of cutscene playback in the game was a much-needed change, but I guess it's still not perfect. Hopefully a future patch might fix this, but who knows.

Thanks very much for the help anyway, I'll keep checking back here in case any other people have this problem.
6649b3f7c6ab7
KolyaQuote
The log suggests that you were using Windows 2000 instead of Win7 64bit. I guess that cannot be right?
The log also says that you are using DirectX 6 instead of the default DirectX 9 renderer. This would happen if you selected "safe mode" during the SS2Tool installation. If you did this in an attempt to fix the cutscenes, well don't. As the description in SS2Tool says, this safe mode is for low end graphics chipset like Intel onboard graphics. Your graphics card should be able to deal with DX9 just fine.
Speaking of the graphics card: Have you looked for updated drivers? It should be this driver, if your OS is Win7 64bit.
The other side to check is audio, so update your soundcard drivers, then check in the game. Also try turning off OpenAL in the game's audio options.

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact