🔒 System Shock 1 redeveloped in Unreal Development Kit

1 Guest is here.
66485d1a0c620
voodoo47Quote
exactly. and that could be a problem-it may be just too gorgeous. those old textures and 2d sprites may actually look better when rendered by some older and much simpler engine, to keep that nice oldschool feeling intact. and do not forget the system requirements-a potential remake/engine update of ss1 that uses the original datafiles should run on virtually any machine, not just a few hiend desktop systems.

unless you want to do a complete remake (not using any of the original data)-in that case, go for the newest and hottest, by all means.
66485d1a0c860
SynaesthesiaQuote
Well, I'm making it with my specs, and I'm using a mid-to-high-end system from 2007 and it runs above 60 frames consistently. I don't see any reason why the art style can't be translated over. It's like saying the Mona Lisa is too old to be viewed today!
66485d1a0cba7
Nameless VoiceQuote

Quote by Aircraftkiller:
Why would you want it in SS2's dated, ugly engine? UDK is gorgeous, user-friendly, and runs on modern systems. SS2 requires silly compatibility settings for Windows 7.

Nonsense.  SS2 runs fine when fully patched up without compatibility settings (in fact, they tend to hinder it).

The problem with porting SS1 to any newer engine, be it Dark or Unreal, is that you quickly begin to see how little sense many of the designs make.  It worked at the low levels of detail that SS1 had, but if you really start to think about it . . .
66485d1a0cd37
KolyaQuote
The main problem for any remake project of System Shock is the original game's refusal to die. Instead the advent of larger resolutions and mouselook have raised the question what the added value of a remake would be. But this is never addressed. And so the implicit statement of every remake attempt is that the game would be better with modern graphics. Meanwhile the players are happy to put up with the dated graphics, because it's part of the deal of playing a pioneering game from 1994.
To cut this short: Anyone who's considering to create a remake of System Shock would likely be better off, creating a small spin off game with their own original storyline.
Advantages:
- less workload
- new game (yes, this is better, I've played the original, thank you)
- you're not going to completely recreate System Shock's quirky interface and movement features anyway so why bother?
- no potential hassle over IP issues
- might actually get done
66485d1a0ceb4
XenoneoQuote
The creation of SS1 portable has definitely made playing the original more accessible for everyone to play, but remaking the game with updated graphics is not a pointless endeavor.
We may not want to admit it, but we have bred today's gamers to expect a certain level of graphic detail.
If we want the future of gaming to be influenced by a game like ss1, it needs to be somewhat attractive for the next generation to try.
Besides that, if the gameplay elements were all working on UDK it would also be more attractive to make mods with different missions, completely different games using it's code, and would be easier to convert to later UDK builds with even better graphics down the line.
In the short run some might simply add bump maps to it.
It's absolutely going to take an extraordinary about of time and effort to make, but I personally think it is worth it.
The moment that this has a single fully playable level (or even partial level), I'm certain that not only will interest in this project increase, but you'll likely be offered some assistance by many people.
The "quirks" of SS1 gameplay should certainly be focused on, such as mouselook, stand/crouch/crawl, lean, and maybe alter the menu system to be more accessible for today's gamers, etc. 
I'm personally very excited about the prospects of this project and can't wait to see what you come up with next, time permitting. :)

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact