66375cb9da75a

66375cb9dacfb
1 Guest is here.

Topic: LGC System Shock for Apple Macintosh
Page: « 1 [2]
Read 104940 times  

66375cb9db35a
So that's a disc with system shock for mac, you ordered? Or a hard drive?
66375cb9db4cb
The actual retail Mac Disc (CD). 
Acknowledged by 2 members: Kolya, CaveManta
66375cb9db80b
So no matter what I did, I couldn't get the movies to play correctly.  (Maybe once in a blue moon, but 9 out of 10, no).  If others have had this issue, I found a potential fix, even though the workaround isn't exactly elegant.

If you delete all Quicktime files from the Mac, then install Quicktime 4.1.2 (https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1134?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US), you may have better results.  (I did a full installation).

One caveat though...when you start Sheepshaver, System Shock WON'T work right as far as movies playing the first time.  But start System Shock anyways, click through to the menu, and quit the application.  Then go to Special -> Restart on the Desktop.  After the restart, launch the game, and it *should* work as it's supposed to including movies.

I have no idea why it only works right on the reboot, but I've reproduced this multiple times with success, and it always requires a restart before it works correctly. 

It's possible another version of Quicktime might work better, but after playing for hours, this is the closest to a solution I found. 

It seems to work perfectly other than that, though I haven't played extensively.  The music speed is also a little wonky at first but seems to even out after the first few seconds. 
66375cb9dbb7d
I'm not a Mac person. But wasn't there something like. You can put quicktime files inside the game folder and with some settings stuff you tell the application to run from there and don't take the system codecs?
I've read something like that about Riven once, IIRC.
66375cb9dbc9d
Interesting - that may very well be possible, but I'm not sure how to do it if it is. 
66375cb9dbdae
Like I said, I'm not a Mac person so I don't really know.
But Myst and Riven are both games which use Quicktime and also were released on Mac.
Maybe you can apply their solution to System Shock.
66375cb9dbed8
Looked at those fixes and they look interesting but very specific to each game.  Since I have a working workaround that only requires an extra minute or two, I don't think I'll risk screwing it up for right now as I think it's risky trying to apply that to this particular game, BUT that's useful info should I decide to tweak in the future.  Thanks!

66375cb9dc178unn_atropos

66375cb9dc1cc
The sourcecode for the MAC version was just released here.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic ____ of meat and bone!  (Fill in the missing word):
1 Guest is here.
It's time to see it (Then you'll believe it)
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66375cb9dc46d