SS2 Community Patch (SCP) Beta 5

6 Guests are here.
6647d1c5b4816
ZylonBaneQuote
So there's a line in the Beta 5 readme:
• Fixed bug in ecology code that could cause the respawn rate in individual levels to increase every time players save/reload in or revisit that level.
This could probably do with some explanation.

Respawning in SS2 is controlled by entities called ecologies. At fixed intervals, mostly around a minute or two, the ecologies in the current level will check the current monster population, and if it's below a certain threshold, they'll request a monster spawn.

The interval between population checks is implemented as a timer. If you're familiar with JavaScript, it's basically identical to the setTimeOut() function. This is where the bug comes in: When the ecology control script begins (which happens every time you load into a level or load a save game in a level), it always starts its timer... without clearing any previously existing timer. That means if you save in a level, then load that save, then *BAM*, every ecology now has two timers. Save/load again, three timers. Ad infinitum.

Great, now we have ecologies on the affected levels executing their population check multiple times simultaneously per interval instead of just once. It's wasteful, but things should be okay because they're still capped by the population limit, right? Well... no. The thing is, ecologies don't spawn enemies directly. They instead dispatch messages to separate spawner entities that perform the actual spawning. These messages go in a message queue that gets serviced on a regular cycle instead of immediately.

So in a situation where an ecology sees that its population is low, it issues a spawn request. And when there are multiple stacked up timers, it issues that request again, and again, and again, for however many duplicate timers there are. They all get issued in the same message cycle, before the spawner has a chance to receive any of them.

When the spawner finally gets these messages, it does exactly what it's been told. It doesn't care about population limits-- that's the ecology's job. When it's told to spawn, it spawns. And that's how you can end up with a crazy amount of spawns sometimes, well in excess of the defined population limits. Or on some levels, spawning is limited to one live monster per spawn point, so the overpopulation can't happen, but it can result in full repopulation of a level all at once, instead of monsters trickling in one at a time like they're supposed to.

So the next time you see someone online whining about ridiculously high respawning in SS2, don't immediately assume they're a hyperbolic baby. They just might be a save-scumming baby instead!
Acknowledged by: RoSoDude
6647d1c5b49be
SalkQuote
Congratulations on this new release!

It's been a long time in the work, but it's already going to leave a positive mark in the new year.

Thanks.
6647d1c5b4b71
PyornkrachzarkQuote
Hello everyone,
Congratulations for this new release!

Maybe the SS2 Newbie Modding Guide shoud be updated to reflex SCP Beta 5 release in the Recommended Mods section
For example, Olfred's fixed objects should be removed because is now integrated into SCP. Sorry for the original author whose name will be no longer in the front row!

Are all other mods listed in the modding guide (Rebirth in particular) known as compatible with SCP beta 5 too?
In any case, I will replay the game by myself and I will post the results

Best Regards,
Pyornkrachzark

6647d1c5b4d12
voodoo47Quote
the picture showing older version is not really a big deal, but I guess I'll fix it. //done. no version numbers, no problem forever.

Fixed Objects are staying, as the mod is very much mandatory for people who don't want SCP, but want everything else. and as already mentioned, it may be redundant now for b5 users, but that will change as soon as new models are added, so lets leave it alone to not create even more confusion.

other mods are fine.
6647d1c5b4e36
JDoranQuote
Wow! This is fantastic news, thanks so much to everyone involved (both with SCP and the compatible mods). I'm looking forwards to personally finding the differences/improvements over SCP beta 4 (which was already brilliant, of course).

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact