SS2 Starship Von Braun : vector side view

1 Guest is here.
664ab122666e6
brendnabbbQuote

Quote by Krytron:
(WARNING: Potential SPOILERS ahead.)

It occurs to me that if you consider the diagram discussed here (plus the placement of the Rickenbacker on top of the Von Braun, as it can be seen in the intro, as well as on the screens on the Rickenbacker bridge deck) as compared the actual in-game map/deck design, as well as the views from various windows, they seem to be contradictory to each other to a larger or lesser extent.

For instance, not only should a huge portion of the upper hull of the VB be visible from its bridge front view, but the Rickenbacker should actually pretty much be obscuring it, as it sits right in front of the VB bridge. In-game, nothing at all but space can be seen from the VB bridge. Interestingly enough, in the intro video the VB bridge part is completely dark (which might suggest that it actually wasn't considered to be the bridge at the time the cutscene had been made)...

Another inconsistency that comes to mind is the placement of the Engineering Deck shuttle bays. On the diagram, they are placed below the nacelles, whereas in-game, they are positioned in the opposite, front part of the ship, approximately where the diagram indicates the fuel storage to be (the huge empty bay at the very bottom of the VB should also be in that area, but somewhat more below the coolant section).

While playing the game, I was amazed at the intricate (and seemingly very coherent) design of the VB, and I was disappointed by the contradictions that popped up later when comparing with the ship model. I don't even need to go into how much of a letdown the interior of the Rickenbacker was (that's a military vessel? where are its crew/military quarters, armories? the "Deck A/B/C" vs "Pod 1/2" mess, etc.).

honestly my biggest concern was how on earth does a ship that small contain 150 crew members. however i heard a theory that somehow the big hole brech from pod 1 was appartly half the ship. or at least was the crew quarters.
664ab12266a16
brendnabbbQuote

Quote by ZylonBane:
There was clearly little if any effort put into ensuring that SS2's maps would assemble into any kind of consistent whole. If memory serves, the elevator shafts on the Von Braun don't even line up. Like, at all. For example, think about the location of the maintenance shaft between MedSci and Engineering, relative to the elevators.

the desgin of the von born made little to no sense at times. ur right i never noticed that. i myself was just thinking to myself that was it was so convenent that we happened to stuck on deck 2 which just happened to have a mantance hatch that could take us to enginering. i mean what would have happened if we were stuck on deck 3 or 5 or heck even deck 4 sure we could reporgam the sim units but we would be cut off from the rest of the ship.
664ab12266c85
brendnabbbQuote

Quote by Nameless Voice:
Speaking of the elevator shaft, who would design a huge space ship with only a single point of access between the decks?  It's a single point of failure and asking for trouble.
i know right i made a comment about that just now the only other access to enginering is through a mantaince tube on deck 2 well thats all great if ur on deck 2 but what if ur on another deck lol.
664ab12266fd5
brendnabbbQuote

Quote by Fironkkuify:
That's the thing, most of the decks were designed to encourage designated crew members to stay at their stations.  Decks 2, 4, 5, and 6 had crew quarters as one means of doing this, as well as lounges, mess halls, and other smaller commodities like a slot machine or pool table.

Also, it can be assumed that there is more than a single main elevator in the same shaft.  These extra elevators could be used in case of mass-movements between decks or for emergencies, with extra spaces for these elevators to be stored.  What strengthens this is the idea that if the elevator were to break it would need to be replaced and Rebecca uses the elevator at some point while you're using it as well to travel around the ship.

rebeca being on engering at the same time as you makes no sense in more ways then one do not get me started that.
664ab1226738b
voodoo47Quote

Quote by brendnabbb:
so the game is of poor design and makes no sense, says the guy who churns out four barely understandable post in a row. also, try googling "web browser with grammar correction".

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact