664a9ed73fd88

664a9ed740259
1 Guest is here.

Topic: Unable to locate or load d3dx9_43dll Read 13165 times  

664a9ed7409d2sewerhunter

664a9ed740a65
I bought the game when it first came out and have never been able to get it to run on any system. I copied the Shock file from the original CD to Desktop installed the SS2 tool, rebooted, tried to run as Administrator...no joy. This is the error message that comes up: Unable to locate or load d3dx9_43dll . Anybody have a solution?

Thanks in advance...

664a9ed740e06sewerhunter

664a9ed740e90
Thanks for your advice. I downloaded the SSTool from the link you provided and tried to install it in the Shock folder on my desktop. I received a message that I didn't have the correct version of DirectX, and was asked if I wanted to download it. I clicked "Yes" and a window opened from DirectX 9.0 Web setup, giving the warning: Command line option syntax error. Type Command /? for Help.

Before I go blundering about in there, has anyone else found an easy solution to this one?
664a9ed7410d2
Download your DirectX runtimes from here, then try again: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=8109
I'll see into that syntax error.
664a9ed74146d
Don't worry mate, PCs are problematic sometimes (but it's worth it when they work, they can be brilliant). And you should play SS2, as it's a fantastic game. Anyway, I'm not an expert, so I probably can't help you, but there are others here who really know their stuff, so stick with it and you'll have the game running OK in no time. But you'll have to be more specific about your PC setup, as that might help us narrow down the problem - the game should work if you do exactly as it says: "Don't use the installer that comes with the game. Instead simply copy the "shock" folder from the CD to your computer. (80 characters maximum path length. On Windows Vista/7 do not copy to the "Program Files" folder.) Download the attached SS2Tool and install to the "shock" folder.", and if it's not then perhaps your PC has a problem that is manifesting itself in it's inability to run SS2, and if not then we really should rule that possibility out.

So please say what version of Windows you are using (XP, Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit, etc), what graphics care are you using, and if you are using Vista or Windows 7 then are you using an Administrator account (so you're not logged into the PC as a 'guest').

And what happens if you:

1) Reset the PC,
2) Log in as administrator,
3) Create a folder on your c: drive, called SS2
4) Insert your System Shock 2 CD into your PC's disc drive, if it isn't already,
5) Copy the folder SHOCK from the CD into c:\SS2. When this is finished, you should have

c:\SS2\SHOCK\Binds\
c:\SS2\SHOCK\cutscenes\
c:\SS2\SHOCK\shock2.exe
c:\SS2\SHOCK\book.crf

and lots of other file sin the c:\SS2\SHOCK\ directory. Please check and if they are not there, then let us know. If they are there, then:

6) Install SS2Tool to c:\SS2\SHOCK
7) Run SS2Tool

Now please tell us exactly what happens when you run SS2Tool.
664a9ed74159f
That's well meant, but probably unnecessary. Sewerhunter is simply missing the necessary DirectX Runtimes. I wrote the SS2Tool to check this case and run dxwebsetup.exe. But not only did I make a mistake, I've also read now that distributing dxwebsetup.exe like that is probably against the Microsoft license. In my defence, I wasn't really able to test the DirectX installation since I already had that version and, as you may know, you cannot uninstall directx versions. And I didn't know about the license issue. I'll find another way.
664a9ed741681
Released SS2Tool 4.4 with a fix to the directx update procedure today.
664a9ed741a20
That's well meant, but probably unnecessary. Sewerhunter is simply missing the necessary DirectX Runtimes.

Oh right, sorry. It had been a long day, and I just skimmed through the post.  I can't find the smiley for 'embarrassed', so please pretend it's here...

BTW, thanks for making SS2Tool work for offline machines - like a fair few people, I do keep a machine permanently offline, as when children are playing on it (in my case my nephews, I'm not (yet) a dad) we then don't have to worry about them accessing anything they shouldn't see.

664a9ed741bdfsewerhunter

664a9ed741c2c
Thank you all for your detailed instructions and the rewriting of the SSTool. I am seriously impaired when it comes to anything more complicated than double-clicking the mouse. I'd say explain to me as though I were a ten-year-old, but that age group probably has a better grasp of IT matters than I.

My system consists of the following:

Dell XPS 630i
Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1
64-bit Operating System
6 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT video card

I proceeded as follows:

1. Load CD into E drive; open folder to view files;
2. Created a folder named SS2 on the C drive in the Games folder (NOT in the Program Files folder), and copied the Shock folder from the CD to the SS2 folder;
3. Downloaded the SSTool v4.4 to the Shock folder and clicked "RUN"
4. Received a message that I needed to download Direct Redist (June 2010), clicked the link to the Microsoft site, selected the files, and clicked RUN;
5. Accepted license agreement, clicking I AGREE;
6.  Selected all components for installation except Start menu items and Deutsch Patch; click NEXT;
7. Select folder C:\games\SS2\SHOCK and click INSTALL;
8. Dialogue box tells me I don't have the required DirectX version installed; I click OK to go to the Microsoft download page;
9. Click to download directx_Jun2010_redist.exe to the SHOCK folder;
10. Went into the SHOCK folder, selected SSTool_v4.4 and clicked Run as Administrator;
11. Repeat steps 6-7.

Now I'll try running the game, and will report back. Thanks again.
664a9ed741db8
When the SS2Tool 4.4 detects that you need the directx update it sends you to the Microsoft download page, then the SS2Tool quits without having done anything.
At this point you are supposed to download "directx_Jun2010_redist.exe" which then needs to be installed on your system. There are two ways to do this:

1.) Simply doubleclick "directx_Jun2010_redist.exe" and it will walk you through the directx update installation. Then run SS2Tool again. There will be no more messages about DirectX.

2.) Alternatively to 1.) you can place the downloaded "directx_Jun2010_redist.exe" next to the SS2Tool. Then run SS2Tool again. It will find and install the directx update for you without further messages. (If the update isn't needed, it will do nothing, no harm done.) This way of installation is mainly meant for the case where you have a computer that is permanently offline and you want to install SS2 to it.

From your description I cannot quite tell if you installed the downloaded "directx_Jun2010_redist.exe" at any point. As long as SS2Tool keeps bitching about it, you haven't.

664a9ed741ec5Sicarii

664a9ed741f11
I'm getting the same problem as the OP. Steps taken so far:

1. I've copied the Shock folder to D:\SS2\Shock
2. I copied both SS2Tool and directx_Jun2010_redist.exe to the Shock folder
3. I've run the SS2Tool, and it doesn't have any error messages
4. When I've clicked on the shock.exe, I still get "Unable to locate or load d3dx9_43.dll" in a dialogue box

PC is running Windows 7 64 bit.

On a proper install, where exactly is the dll supposed to reside? Even when I've downloaded the directx_Jun2010_redist.exe and run it, I'm not sure where it needs to be installed to.

Any help is appreciated.

664a9ed741fdevoodoo47

664a9ed742029
extract and run dxsetup.exe, everything will be installed automatically.

664a9ed7420d4Sicarii

664a9ed742123
Thanks - it seems kind of obvious in hindsight...

The game is now running, so I'm back to being scared of every single corner/shadow/sound. Just like I remember it.

Thanks for the help.

664a9ed742330sewerhunter

664a9ed74237d
I've been away for quite a while since my last post but, once again, thank you all for your latest advice. Here's what I did this time:

1. Load CD into E drive; open folder to view files;

2. Created a folder named SS2 on the C drive in the Games folder (NOT in the Program Files folder), and copied the Shock folder from the CD to the SS2 folder; (am given notification that 82 items totalling 497 MB are transferred);

3. Downloaded the SSTool v4.4 to the Shock folder, selecting all items except Start menu items and deutsch patch, agreed to license terms; clicked Install;

4. Received the following message:

Your system does not have the required Microsoft DirectX version installed.
You will now be taken to the Microsoft download page.
Run SS2Tool again after you have installed this DirectX update.

I clicked "OK";

5. I was taken to the Microsoft Download Center, where I clicked on "Download", declined some extra downloads, and saved directx_Jun2010_redist.exe to the Shock folder;

6. Went to the Shock folder, right-clicked on directx_Jun2010_redist , and selected "Run as administrator."

7. Clicked "Yes" to accept terms of license agreement;

8. Used the DirectX dialogue box to place the extracted files in the Shock folder, and clicked "OK". a lot of new jZip files appeared in the folder;

9. In the Shock folder, selected SS2Tool_v4.4.exe and right-clicked, selecting Run as administrator;

10. SS2Tool v4.4 dialogue box appeared, and I clicked on the "I Agree" radio button to accept the License Agreement;

11. In next dialogue box, selected all components except Start menu items and Deutsch Patch, and clicked the "Next" radio button;

12. In the next dialogue box, selected the Shock folder as the destination and clicked the "Install" radio button;

13. Received an "Installation Complete" dialogue box, which closed itself.

Now to try it out... 

sewerhunter
664a9ed742862
8. Used the DirectX dialogue box to place the extracted files in the Shock folder, and clicked "OK". a lot of new jZip files appeared in the folder;

DirectX is a part of the operating system. It should be installed to whatever default it suggests, not to the system shock game folder.
I'll look at it again to give you more detailed instructions.

EDIT: Okay that first part where directx_Jun2010_redist.exe asks you for a location is just an unpacker. I would suggest to unpack it into a temporary folder on you desktop, which you can delete after the directX update has been installed.

664a9ed742936sewerhunter

664a9ed7429a4
Tried this, extracting the DirectX files into the newly-created TEMPORARY folder on the desktop before trying to run the SSTool. I get a message that I don't have the correct DirectX files installed. I guess the program can't find the files.

664a9ed742a62voodoo47

664a9ed742ab2
you have to install the extracted package. look for dxsetup.exe and run it.

664a9ed742b60sewer hunter

664a9ed742baa
It was good of you not to make fun of me for making such an elementary error. I rectified the situation and the game seems to be working. After 12 years it looks like I can finally play it! Many thanks.

664a9ed742cacvoodoo47

664a9ed742cf5
we usually don't make fun of people here, unless they are arrogant or really stupid (do note that lacking knowledge is not the same as being stupid - the first one is ok, the second one is not). and I don't really mind answering even the really dumb questions (15+ years of providing IT support in various forms have destroyed my pain receptors almost completely). arrogant posts will inevitably activate the ZylonBane protocol, which will usually make the perpetrator run away weeping, never to come back.

anyway, enjoy your game.

664a9ed742da0Shadix-SS2

664a9ed742de8
My friend has done these steps as well, but do these files actually need to be in a specific folder?
He's installing them into his SHOCK folder.

EDIT: It doesn't give him a default destination when he tries to install the DirectX files.

664a9ed742e9evoodoo47

664a9ed742eea
he needs to unpack the package (the destination is where the installer wants to unpack the files, and it should NOT be the game folder), and run dxsetup.exe, the rest of the process is automatic.
1 Guest is here.
'As someone from 2017.....' XD
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
664a9ed742ff1