663bb34878e4b

663bb34879531
1 Guest is here.

663bb34879df3
This is now an obsolete experiment. Use this manager instead.

A few months ago I screwed around with a modmanager called JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler (JSGME). It's freeware that has been around for years and been discontinued meanwhile. I wanted to fix it up for SS2 and build it right into SS2Tool v4.5. It never worked out the way I wanted though and so v4.5 was never released.
One of the problems I had with it was that the executable has to sit in the folder where the mods are copied to. Looking at it again now, I'm thinking that it may not be such a big thing. Another problem is that there's no source code. So don't expect any development on this - ever.
Basically it's a shive that you may use until we find something better. The good news is that it will work with any mods, has file conflict detection, creates backups (in a dedicated backup folder) and can load & save mod profiles.

Installation and usage
Unpack to your game folder. You will get a new folder "ModCollection". This is where you should place your mods, unpacked and each in a folder of its own.
The program is in the "DataTempMods" folder, which is also where mods will get copied to when you activate them. You can also move the program to DataPermMods if you prefer that. The interface has drag & drop capability.   
Since the original website is dead, I put the help PDF on our server. It will probably not be of much use to you though, since it refers to the original JSGME setup, which you can find here.

[Attachment removed]
« Last Edit: 01. August 2013, 21:54:12 by Kolya »

663bb3487a16eSimplex

Re: Alternative modmanager (sort of)
663bb3487a1e9
So in order to use this program, DataPermMods should not be used? (i.e. it should be empty?)

When adding SHTUP, program warned me about file conflicts with ADaoB:
"bay1.bin" has already been altered by the "ADaoB+vurt space" mod.
"bay2.bin" has already been altered by the "ADaoB+vurt space" mod.
"bay1.tga" has already been altered by the "ADaoB+vurt space" mod.
"bay2.tga" has already been altered by the "ADaoB+vurt space" mod.

I compared TGA files and they are almost identical, but not 100% identical, and bin files are 100% identical (at least that's what I think).

EDIT: some more warnings

When installing tacticool:
"Atek_H.bin" has already been altered by the "ADaoB+vurt space" mod - no idea what this file does.

When instaling Eldron's Psi Amp after installing tacticool:
"amp_h.bin" has already been altered by the "tacticool" mod.
"psiamp.pcx" has already been altered by the "tacticool" mod.
"psiglow.tga" has already been altered by the "tacticool" mod.
"psihand.pcx" has already been altered by the "tacticool" mod.

Does this mean that tacticool already contains eldron's psi amp? Because I ran SS2 with only tacticool enabled and with only eldron's psi amp enabled and psi amp looked identical to me in both cases.

When installing various vurt's enhancements after ADaoB and SHTUP:
"blin.mtl" has already been altered by the "400" mod.
"blout.mtl" has already been altered by the "400" mod.
"flower.bin" has already been altered by the "shtup" mod.
"GOO.bin" has already been altered by the "shtup" mod.
"goo3.bin" has already been altered by the "shtup" mod.
"goo4.bin" has already been altered by the "shtup" mod.
"lily.bin" has already been altered by the "shtup" mod.
"plant4.bin" has already been altered by the "shtup" mod.
"planth.bin" has already been altered by the "shtup" mod.
"plantt.bin" has already been altered by the "shtup" mod.
"plantw.bin" has already been altered by the "shtup" mod.
"plantwa.bin" has already been altered by the "shtup" mod.
"talplant.bin" has already been altered by the "shtup" mod.
« Last Edit: 25. February 2013, 02:02:13 by Simplex »
663bb3487a5c5
Every conflict in there is normal (read: it can be expected). I think you downloaded a "Tacticool" mod that also incorporated Eldron's Psi amp because none of Tacticool's weapons touch those files. That's why you're better of downloading the mods yourselves than some megapackage from a not too trustworthy source or one that does not fully disclose its content.

Also, SHTUP should come first.

@OP: Thanks for digging this up. I think I will stay with the cfg/FMSel method until something better comes up, though.

663bb3487a6a1Simplex

663bb3487a6f6
I might have merged these mods myself years ago and then forget about this.

cfg/FMSel method
Can you elaborate on that or link to such elaboration? :)

663bb3487a87b
FMSel is NewDark's FM Selector made for the Thief games but of course it can handle any mods or fan missions for any dark game. It's activated in cam_mod.ini, you can read about how it works in the respective threads on TTLG and the files in \doc\.

By cfg I'm referring to the install.cfg. Kolya outlined how a future mod manager could improve on it:
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4277.msg52063#msg52063
« Last Edit: 25. February 2013, 09:41:02 by Marvin »

663bb3487a9a4voodoo47

663bb3487a9f0
it needs to be noted that its usefulness in SS2 is a bit limited - as it is meant to run fms, not mods. that means it can load ADaoB for you, but the graphics mods still need to be installed manually, if one desires to use them together with ADaoB.
Acknowledged by: Marvin
1 Guest is here.
i was ready to help him search for his sense of civility but against my own will i went into the bookstore across the street and got lost.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
663bb3487bbce