663b126c9807c

663b126c984e1
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS2 permanently enable IG logo video Read 3550 times  

663b126c98b18SammaySarkar

663b126c98baa
Hello people and cyborgs.
I recently got the GOG version of SS2 (and used the SS2tool on it), but the updated version disables the intros after the first start of the game.
Now, I slightly don't like to start the legendary game without a little fanfare. Apparently there are others like me: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=1595.0
I have figured out a way to get the intros to play each time the game is started.
  • DO YOU REALLY WANT TO EDIT THE GAME EXECUTABLE?
  • First you will need a HEX editor. Here's a good one: http://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD (portable version available)
  • back up shock2.exe (a good way is to just zip it up/put it in a zip archive.)
  • Open Shock2.exe in the hex editor.
  • Go to address 32C93C OR search for text string: skip_intro
  • Look at the text display of the hex editor. (usually at the right of the columns of numbers.)
  • just change the "skip_intro" segment to anything else (such as show_intro). Check that the original text gets overwritten, which should happen.
  • save the file.
  • Open cam.cfg in notepad.
  • search for skip_intro, and if found, delete the line.
  • save the file.
  • play the game and watch the intro.
Please don't deviate from the directions if you are not familiar with what you are doing.

TO MODS: please don't hesitate to edit the post to be more user-friendly/easily readable. Also do move the topic to a more fitting location if this is not the right place.
The url to get the game for free is: http:// www..."bzzzt"/s"hssss"#?""RATATATATA"/index.php?"CRASH!".."whatthe!".com"aaarghh!.."
« Last Edit: 01. December 2013, 08:04:47 by SammaySarkar »
Re: SS2 Enable Intros
663b126c98e19
Interesting. It's not any update though that disables the logo video after the first play. It's always been like that.
Personally I always appreciated it. It's a small reminder of more gentlemanly days. Nowadays I have games that play 3 or 4 logo videos every time I start the game, each of which is apparently designed to be as loud as possible (NVIDIA, I'm looking at you).

663b126c98f89SammaySarkar

Re: SS2 Enable Intros
663b126c98ff4
Actually I've never played the original version (so I get to play SS2 for the very first time AND in all its updated HDR glory  :proud: ) . I just figured from the linked thread that the update must have added that flag.

As for the necessity of intros, I think it's not a good choice to either show them all the time uninterruptably (!), or not show them at all. Its better when they are displayed but can be skipped via an option or keypress. The main reason I wanted to enable SS2 intros is that they give me the sense of getting the complete gameplay experience. :)

Speaking of Loud intros, I remember playing Freedom Fighters, and my (then baby) sister jumped awake at NVIDIA's portal-storm-esque whoosh.  :what: (It couldn't be skipped. I just deleted the movie file afterwards.)

thanks for moving the topic.
« Last Edit: 01. December 2013, 08:06:03 by SammaySarkar »
663b126c99155
You don't have to use ss2tool on the gog-version, because it's already "ss2tool'ed".

Yeah, the original version 1.15 didn't disable the intros after each launch. In version 2.3 I've just added the read-only attribute to cam.cfg, and it kept the skip_intro line disabled.

663b126c9926evoodoo47

663b126c992bf
no it isn't. also, it does not have a default mod autoload folder.

663b126c9960fZylonBane

663b126c99668
Actually I've never played the original version (so I get to play SS2 for the very first time AND in all its updated HDR glory
There is no HDR version of SS2.
663b126c99751
By HDR glory SammaySarkar probably means bloom effect from newdark patch.
663b126c99939
no it isn't. also, it does not have a default mod autoload folder.

Emm... Why is it so bad?

663b126c999d4voodoo47

663b126c99a21
it isn't ss2tooled, it's just NewDarked is what I've meant. nothing wrong with it.

663b126c99afeSammaySarkar

663b126c99b4c
Yes, I did mean bloom, which gives SS2 a  nice HDR-y effect...

GOG.com said I should install SS2Tool, so I just went ahead and applied it on the game; and nothing's gone wrong so far (and I believe nothing will either) :thumb:

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

____ at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone!  (Fill in the missing word):
1 Guest is here.
I take care of my flowers and my cats. And enjoy food. And that’s living.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
663b126c99c5e