SS2 Installation Guide for Linux

1 Guest is here.
Page: 1/5▶▶
664a3b096cc7f
JMLQuote
This guide will show you how to install and setup SS2 with essential mods for a good first time experience under the Linux operating system.
In the beginning this were my notes for myself to look up when installing SS2 on a friends computer. For other installation questions refer to the SS2 Technical FAQ

1: Steam download SS2 and move it from "/home/USERNAME/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/SS2/support/systemshock2/drive_c/Program Files/SystemShock2" out of the reach of Steam and to something more pleasant like "/home/USERNAME/games/SS2".
(if you want the german version you can set the language to german BEFORE you start the download. SS2Tool will automatically detect the language and download the Vollständige Deutsche Übersetzung. If you forgot, you can always download it from it's respective mod page)

2: Download latest SS2Tool, copy to where shock2.exe is (for me “/home/USERNAME/games/SS2", set Wine (winecfg) to Windows 7(!)

3: Run SS2Tool: default location (where it is), clean install, perfect mode.

4: Run the now there installed ss2bmm.exe file (blue mod manager) and check where the mod directory is: open mods folder (for me: “/home/USERNAME/games/SS2/DMM”) - so for me the folder is in the same directory as the shock2.exe

5: Extract mods into the DMM directory, they should now show up in the SS2 Blue Mod Manager 1.15!

[If you're using Vurts Mods: Create Folders with fitting names for Vurts Mods (e.g. Black Egg for obj of Blackegg)]

6: Give them the correct order in the Modmanager (refer to the Newbie modding guide and/or my modlist further down and the respective mod pages).

7: Collect the unused .zip and .7z files in another folder, leave it inactive

8: Start the game, enjoy.

The mods can be found here.
Below you will find a picture of my modlist that works well. If you are not a german speaker, just leave out the two Deutsch mods.

Troubleshooting:
*The console will not open. This is a Wine issue. Refer to the respective topic for a workaround.
*MOTHER of all guides will help you find your way around.
*SS2 Troubleshooting Guide in the SS2 Technical FAQ can be very helpful.

Tested with:
Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic, and 4.4
Wine version: 19.0.1 (1.6.x or newer) set to Windows 7 (!!)

//Moderator please feel free to correct the mistakes that I made and edit to a more understandable guide.
Acknowledged by: natanprog
664a3b096ce1f
KolyaQuote
Thanks for this write up, I'm sure Linux users will appreciate it. For now I'll sticky it here, along with the other guides. In the long run I would like to integrate it into the SS2Technical FAQ, since the instructions largely overlap and some are not Linux specific.

//Done.
664a3b096d28a
JMLQuote

Quote by Kolya:
[...] In the long run I would like to integrate it into the SS2Technical FAQ, since the instructions largely overlap and some are not Linux specific.
Please do so. That's what I also thought. It is at the same time a recommended first-time/closely vanilla build of SS2 that I would've appreciated. Maybe you/we could do something like this.
664a3b096d3d0
natanprogQuote
Thanks for the guide!

worked perfectly  :thumb:
Acknowledged by: JML
664a3b096d561
phillippi2Quote
If you are having trouble running SS2Tool, be aware of your WINE version. The compatibility is very particular; some WINE versions do work while others don't. In my experience, it's best to install SS2 through PlayOnLinux, because that will install the correct WINE version (independent of your distributions WINE install), which you can then use to run SS2Tool to update the game. I believe that the WINE version that POL recommends is 3.0

Note that the newest WINE version can be used to play SS2. The main issue is the incompatibility between SS2Tool and specific versions of WINE.
Page: 1/5▶▶

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact