SPACE ▪ HULK by Teardown

1 Guest is here.
6648c354d06c0
KolyaQuote
Update 1.01 released. It seems Teardown got their act together again with this release. The lapses in names and text are gone and there's an extensive additional options screen now where you can adjust things like the animation speed of the marines and aliens among other things.
The soldiers now get awards during the game, mostly for kills it seems, my flamethrower marine got a "Survivor" award for self-destructing. I'm not sure yet what else they are good for. This update is better than the somewhat disappointing first rebrand and the game seems to be heading in it's own direction now, which is probably for the best. Still no giving directions to marines while one of them moves though.
6648c354d07fc
Game reviewerQuote
Absolute shite.  I don't see how such a bad game could become a classic.  I played it for one day then deleted it.  Unbelievably bad.  Think a downgraded version of pacman, with tiny text that strains the eyes, no fullscreen mode, and sprites that look like atari 2600's frogger.  Pass this one up, and wait for the space hulk mod for DoW 2.
6648c354d091e
ildamosQuote
Pass this one up, and wait for the space hulk mod for DoW 2.

It's already out methinks. I visited ModDB this night.

Space Hulk is a VERY old game so I'm not surprised about the graphics. I'll be giving this one a spin tomorrow.

Dawn of War 2 is the total letdown however. But that's just my two cents; I like the gameplay of the first Dawn of War better. (I played around with the Revora Forums' enhanced AI mod; that was awesome.)
6648c354d0c81
WidgetQuote

Quote by Game reviewer:
Absolute shite.  I don't see how such a bad game could become a classic.  I played it for one day then deleted it.  Unbelievably bad.  Think a downgraded version of pacman, with tiny text that strains the eyes, no fullscreen mode, and sprites that look like atari 2600's frogger.  Pass this one up, and wait for the space hulk mod for DoW 2.

That's some pretty unnecessary defamation. It doesn't have a fullscreen mode but it does have a number of options for upscaling the resolution so the text shouldn't be a problem. Everything becomes a bit blocky if you up the res because it's all pixel art but the tiles are all perfectly serviceable and parts of the UI are extremely impressive. If you don't like pixel art then just say so.

If there's a criticism that could be levelled against the game it's that it's brutally difficult but, for that, look to the source material. Alien Assault (formerly Space Hulk) isn't pushing the boundaries of game design but it's a neat, efficient and well-polished conversion of a very popular tabletop game. Not to everyone's taste but well worth a go.

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact