🔒 ATI GPU Scaling Fix for Windows 7 (stretch and aspect ratio problems)

1 Guest is here.
6649f3dc82704
JDoranQuote

Quote by nilskislon:
Hallo, i had a similar problem for months (R7 260x on Win 7 64bit), and i solved it today with the DDU utility (Display Driver uninstaller, for AMD or NVIDIA). I had most, including lowest resolutions with incorrect/stretched aspect ratios. Note that i never had anything grayed out, and could set permanently the "keep aspect ratio" option in CCC to begin with (on any resolution). ATIGPUScalingFix 1.1 didn't help.

Direct link for newest DDU version: http://www.guru3d.com/files-get/display-driver-uninstaller-download,16.html

I reset to default settings (lower right corner in DDU) before starting the (AMD! ) driver removal. Be sure also to install proper monitor drivers (mine would reset to default ones after each un/install of display drivers, so do it immediately after reinstalling).

Hope this helps someone...

Thanks for replying, but I don't unerstand what you're saying, sorry, and I don't have my laptop with me at the moment (I'm at work). I take it Display Driver uninstaller only removes the driver from your system), so what version of the driver did you then (after uninstalling the one that didn't work) install to get the aspect resolution settings working?

It would be great to know the last version of the drivers that did not have the aspect ration problem.

I still find it difficult to believe that this problem has never (as far as I know) been fixed in later drivers.
6649f3dc828a0
nilskislonQuote
Yes, i forgot that, i'm using the latest catalyst omega 14.12 AMD driver package. I tried 3 or 4 driver revisions from April till now, but all had this problem.

What DDU did is totally remove all settings from the computer (registry, files...), and whatever was causing the problem vanished. So i think my problem was never driver related.

After removal/reinstall, every setting is reset to default, so you have to reactivate GPU up-scaling in CCC and select maintain aspect ratio (and apply, of course). I did this while in resolution 800x600 and immediately saw the aspect ratio correction.

Let me know if you need more info.
6649f3dc82b14
IT: bellatorQuote
I have the same issue on a different game; Knights of the Old Republic 2 (found this thread when searching for solutions actually). Although I can play the game with black bars on 1280x768 with a widescreen fix (the game doesn't work correctly in 1366x768), the .bik videos aren't scaled, so they're annoyingly small (I now know new, larger cutscenes to replace the small ones have been made available, but I would still like to fix this issue). More to the point, playing the game on a smaller resolution gives me the same problem; it doesn't scale up. (currently on Catalyst 14.501.1003.0/Omega 14.12 using Mobility Radeon HD 5650). This problem only occurs in fullscreen-mode; the game/movies are scaled in windowed mode, but that is not an option on some games.

The thing is, when I noticed the problem, I checked to see if my desktop resolution would scale up. So I set it to 800x600, and no, it didn't scale (huge black bars on all sides). Not really a surprise. The scaling option was greyed out, and ATIGPUScalingFix tool did not work. Removing and re-installing the drivers didn't work. However, when using the DDU utility posted by nilskislon first, then installing the new drivers again, I was now able to scale desktop resolution!  The scaling option is no longer greyed out. I thought this would fix the issue since scaling now seems to work, but it still does not scale up the game from a lower resolution. It doesn't even stretch it, only "Use centered timings" works, the other options do not seem to have an effect on games. Only the desktop. I find this very strange. I am thinking about installing the driver that came with the laptop around 2010 to see if this is a driver issue, because I am positive I have played games on a lower resolution than x768 without a black frame around everything.

It is worth to try the DDU removal tool for others to see if they're luckier, at least it got my desktop to scale.
6649f3dc82c19
nilskislonQuote
Just to confirm that the 800x600 game Eschalon: Book I scales correctly after i used DDU (was stretched before), starting it from a 1680x1050 desktop.

Teslagrad for example does not scale correctly, but will give a proper "square" (800x600, 1024x768...) aspect ratio if started from a square desktop (i think any will do, as long as it is 4:3).

6649f3dc82da6
Nintendo Maniac 64Quote
I'm a bit late to this discussion, but I just wanted to post my "solution" that I've been using for a while.  However, it really is only optimal for 1366x768 displays (particularly laptops).

First off, from what I can tell, "preserve aspect ratio" works perfectly fine as long as you use any resolution other than your panel's native resolution.  Therefore, you can "cheat" on 1366x768 displays by instead just setting your desktop resolution to 1360x768 which not only lets you set "preserve aspect ratio" but will even remember that setting if you switch to 1024x768 or 800x600 and back - just as long as you do not touch 1366x768.  This also means that, any programs and games where you normally would use 1366x768, you should instead use 1360x768.

If you have a display that is 1600x900 or 1920x1080, you might be able to use "Custom Resolution Utility" to make a custom resolution of 1598x900 or 1918x1080 and use that for your desktop resolution, but this is something I have never tried.

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact