663c23a53cc25

663c23a53d59b
1 Guest is here.

663c23a53f24bvoodoo47

663c23a53f2da
ok, time to have some fun - attaching both the x86 and x64 zip of the SS1 shareware, which has been merged with both the latest version of the EE SHLink wrapper (as we have received permission to use it from NDS), and the latest release of the Shockolate source port. systemshock.exe will launch the Shockolate source port (check the Audio/Video menu for some additional options), sshock.exe will launch the EE wrapper (you can edit sshock.ini and controls.cfg if you want to tweak the settings). if you can't decide, remap the controls so they won't conflict and run both at the same time.

notes on the source port:
- set your audio to Native Midi in the Audio Options upon first run (and Messages to both), the other two options produce sound of a less than optimal quality.
- current max resolution is 1024*768 (windowed. you can use alt+enter to switch to fullscreen), this is the actual maximum the original engine supported.
- needs win7 or newer (opengl 2.1 capable gpu to run in opengl mode, older gpus can use the software mode, which is the default).
- should be closer to the DOS cd version than the KEX port (as it's using pure DOS assets).
- should run better on low specs machines than the KEX port.
- there are a few additional options under Video/Audio, feel free to explore.
- using opengl with texture filtering enabled will result in some (very minor) visual anomalies.
- that annoying vanilla bug which would reset the crosshair color to default upon save/load is fixed.
- hold shift and click on an item in the world to pick it up instantly without having to drag and drop it.

post all bug reports, suggestions, praise etc in this topic.
« Last Edit: 25. September 2022, 12:09:49 by voodoo47 »
Acknowledged by 2 members: dertseha, Jules

663c23a53f46bvoodoo47

663c23a53f4c2
updated with the latest (18sept2022) Shockolate build. pretty much just general bugfixes and cleanup, the limitations of the previous build still apply.

//moved to the SS1 subforum and stickied, Shockolate doesn't get nearly enough exposure, so lets not let the topic disappear in the murky waters of Engineering again.
« Last Edit: 20. September 2022, 12:17:34 by voodoo47 »
663c23a53f622
Nice one. If there's any interest in a Linux version based on the latest Git-version of Shockolate, I might be interested in giving a hand.

663c23a53f6f3voodoo47

663c23a53f741
shift+click instant item pickup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJd9TaLkyWw
recording has distorted the audio for some reason.

663c23a53f986kappa971

663c23a53fa11
Hi, I'm looking for some information on the Shockolate source port, especially the original game bugs.
I've read several forums but haven't found many answers.
The questions I would like to ask are:
1. Is the reactor code bug fixed?
2. Can Shockolate be played at over 60fps?
3. Is the final boss bug fixed? (this was also related to fps)
4. Reading in the forums, the latest version of System Shock Enhanced Edition is "broken" due to massive stuttering. From what I understand the movements of the characters are now locked at 30hz to avoid a bug, this is what they write in the changelog:
"Fixed AI getting stuck on some corners.". Has this bug been fixed in Shockolate?

Also I noticed that development has been stopped for a while, is the project still alive or has it been shelved?
Thanks for anyone who replies.

663c23a53fbb1voodoo47

663c23a53fc1b
1. I believe it is.
2. I don't think so (not seeing any fps lock/unlock option in the cfg)
3. I would think yes
4. hard to tell, feel free to verify yourself?

yeah, development has slowed down, but the project definitely is alive. a SS2tool-style patcher will be made available soon, hopefully making the public more aware of the project (right now, you pretty much have to go to discord and ask someone to compile a build for you) as a viable alternative to SS1EE.

663c23a540d98kappa971

663c23a540e09
Thanks voodoo47 for the reply.
1. I believe it is.
Good
2. I don't think so (not seeing any fps lock/unlock option in the cfg)
I'm sorry, maybe I didn't formulate the question correctly. I have a 144hz screen, Shockolate easily reaches 100fps+ and I wanted to know if this could cause problems, or if the game logic was separated from the frame rate. I guess this can only be answered by the developer, I've also opened a new issue on GitHub.
3. I would think yes
Good
4. hard to tell, feel free to verify yourself?
This "fix" by Night Dive Studios leaves me perplexed... because if the game running at over 30 fps has this bug, does it mean that this has been present since the release of Pentium 2\3?

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

Name the default melee weapon in System Shock 2:
Sticky topic
1 Guest is here.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
663c23a540f39