IT: SS1 System Shock EE Italian Translation

1 Guest is here.
Page: 1/7▶▶
664a88ec5b63c
manlilQuote
Hi to everyone.

My name is Manuel and sorry for english not perfect but I'm italian.

I have realized a text translation of the game System Shock EE in italian language.
If someone is interested, the translation download link is available here:

www.advancedstudios.it/forum/index.php?/topic/3637-system-shock-ee-traduzione-italiano

The only thing that I cannot translate is the image .bmp of the description of the
interface that appear just before starting the game with the space bar (or clicking alt+o).

I found that this image is located in the file "gamescrn.res".
I extracted the images with the program "DumpTex.exe" and edited the english version (1347.bmp) in italian
with Photoshop but I don't know how to import this 1347.bmp image into the file "gamescrn.res" again.

I know that Gigaquad has realized a program called "hi-res3DSS" to replace some textures in the "citmat.res" file,
so I gently ask if someone know how to do the same with the file "gamescrn.res" just to change that image.
Maybe just recompiling the "hi-res3DSS" program?

If someone wanna help me,
my email is manlil@libero.it

Thank you

Manuel
[1347 ENG.bmp expired]
[1347 IT.bmp expired]
664a88ec5bca6
dertsehaQuote
Hello manlil / Manuel!

Great work that you did there!
May I ask what tools you used to export/import the texts?
As for the images: The project I am working on, "Inkyblackness" ( http://inkyblackness.github.io/ ), has in its "deck" package also the tool called "chunkie" which allows export and import of several resource types. Images can be re-imported, though they need to be based on the same palette.

I am not at my computer right now to tell you which image format it supports (I believe it was gif) albeit being the simplest problem. So with that you will be able to update the image.

At the moment chunkie does not support importing any of the videos (high-/low-res, or the vidmails), though, if you like, this could be added. That way you also could cover these resources, including the subtitles for the videos. Exporting works, so you can have a look on them...

664a88ec5bdd4
manlilQuote
Hi dertseha!
Thanks for your answer.

To export and import again all the texts I used the program "transl.exe"
from the "SS1transl.zip" by Gigaquad. If you wanna know exactly the procedure,
if you give me a your email address I just explain it to you better.

If I don't ask too much to you, can you please send me by email the tool "chunkie"
to export/import images in the gamescrn.res file with a little explanation to how to do,
because I haven't found it in the site of your projet.

Thank you very much!

Manuel
664a88ec5bf35
📱 KolyaQuote
I'm pretty sure that subtitles for videos are possible without baking them into the video. I remember finding a string file in the resources that had the narration of the intro video. And I think I've seen it with subtitles on YouTube.
664a88ec5c248
dertsehaQuote

Quote by Kolya:
I'm pretty sure that subtitles for videos are possible without baking them into the video. I remember finding a string file in the resources that had the narration of the intro video. And I think I've seen it with subtitles on YouTube.
You are correct for the low-res videos. These have their strings in chunks 0x0872-0x0874, stored in the respective text resources. Most likely that Manuel already covered those.
The videos in the MOVI format of the CD-release on the other hand have their subtitles baked in. Details on the format here.

Though, I suppose this would be an academic pursuit anyway, as the subtitles are only shown if no sound card is configured. And in this day and age, such a scenario is unheard of (pun intended :P ).
Acknowledged by: Kolya
Page: 1/7▶▶

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact