6647d2222eab1
1 Guest is here.

6647d2222f3d5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqbDh__FoCU

Shodan looks much better than the previous trailer if you ask me
« Last Edit: 11. September 2019, 13:19:25 by Da9L »

6647d2222f4eeVegoraptor

6647d2222f53d
Aaaand the video was set to private. Curious.
6647d2222f874
Aaaand the video was set to private. Curious.

That was rather quick.. Heres an alternative, someone was quick and grabbed it:

Now its back again. Wonder what went wrong the first time :P

6647d2222fafbvoodoo47

6647d2222fb55
Shodan looks much better than the previous trailer if you ask me
yeah. still not liking the SS1 themed AIs too much though - as mentioned elsewhere, Citadel is done and done. be your own thing.
Acknowledged by 4 members: RocketMan, hemebond, RoSoDude, Hatsuseno
6647d2222fd97
yeah. still not liking the SS1 themed AIs too much though - as mentioned elsewhere, Citadel is done and done. be your own thing.

Agreed. Maybe there is a reason for it story wise though.

6647d2222fe97icemann

6647d2222fee1
I'm crossing my fingers that this turns out good.

Trailer gives me a Doom 3 vibe. Dunno why.

6647d2223029dRoSoDude

6647d222302ee
Teaser also says it takes place at a TriOp Blacksite in 2085. System Shock 1 took place in 2072 and System Shock 2 in 2114, so it looks like they could be retconning or ignoring the sequel entirely. I wouldn't be surprised given Spector's ardent preference for the first game, but I would be disappointed.
Acknowledged by 3 members: JosiahJack, hemebond, Join2

6647d222305b4unn_atropos

6647d2223060d
The wrench seems a bit archaic and a bit too much Bioshock.

It would be interesting to see the research lab that shodan was created in. The blacksite could be just that.

From the few glimpses of flying drones and such, I get the impression that there could be a ecology system (maintenance, transportation, service etc) in the game that could be used by the player.
That's my biggest wish for this sequel/prequel: Have an environment in which you and Shodan have to struggle for resources.
Not:
if playerposition=xx; summon 3 hybrids

but instead:
shodan: "cameras, where is the hacker? ah, there!? do I have some grunts on this floor? what? qbru for making more hybrids is off? wtf! ah, wait! I know what to do!!"
hacker: "shit, didn't see that one coming  :stroke:"

In short: Let Shodan be a real enemy, not just some scripts and soundfiles (though Terri is deligthfull as always  :heart:).

Acknowledged by 2 members: ThiefsieFool, PLANET

6647d222308f4voodoo47

6647d2223094b
Teaser also says it takes place at a TriOp Blacksite in 2085. System Shock 1 took place in 2072 and System Shock 2 in 2114, so it looks like they could be retconning or ignoring the sequel entirely.
that isn't good news. so that entire idea with SS3 being a direct sequel to SS2 with both the Hacker and the Soldier making cameos is getting scrapped? don't know about that, I would very much prefer the third game to wrap things up in a nice way (think Thief3), rather than getting an in-between-quel that will just mess the canon up, most likely.

think the Deus Ex prequels.
Acknowledged by 2 members: Kolya, JosiahJack

6647d22230a50Vegoraptor

6647d22230aa0
However, we are an insect no more, Shodan deems us worthy to be called a rodent. Which is nice, I guess.

6647d22230bc9IAmShawn1998

6647d22230c1d
That is unfortunate, the main reason I personally was excited about the idea of a System Shock 3, was to finally get to see a wrap up of the second game. Interested to see how this game turns out, hopefully not a complete retcon of the second game.

6647d22230cbdvoodoo47

6647d22230d09
I'd be most likely out, if that were the case.

6647d22230dc6IAmShawn1998

6647d22230e1b
Yeah the idea of a retcon is a major turn off for me. There isn't even a real reason to do that. I feel like the ending can be explained and the story can move on or conclude by the end of System Shock 3. If it is a retcon, then what a needless kick in the ass to Ken Levine lol.
Acknowledged by: RocketMan

6647d22230f58ZylonBane

6647d22230fa6
On the one hand, it all looks pretty good technically.

On the other hand, the aesthetic looks entirely more like Aliens than System Shock. The visuals didn't give me the Shock vibe at all. Barely any color, just greys and steam.

I'm curious how SHODAN got from the wreckage of Citadel to another TriOp facility. They better have a damn good explanation for that.
6647d22231120
On a quick glance, it looks much more like a game that has at least some potential to live up to the name in terms of production values. After the Underworld Ascendant thing and the first teaser, I began seriously doubting that.

6647d22231475RocketMan

6647d222314c9
Blehh...  Colour TV RGB cannon, desaturated high-definition zombies (ah that's the reason for the RGB cannon), overused underwhelming dramatic music in background, 100 mSec clips you can barely focus on, no actual game mechanics of any kind demonstrated (except ye old crane controls), lots of screaming, questionable plot direction, no actual shock heritage attempted, welcome back shattering ice features,

...but yeah, Terri sounds good as ever.

If you remember the old SS2 commercial, it was also an adrenaline-packed insult to the actual game so let's hope they did that again.
Acknowledged by: JosiahJack

6647d2223174aRocketMan

6647d222317b5
Yeah the idea of a retcon is a major turn off for me. There isn't even a real reason to do that. I feel like the ending can be explained and the story can move on or conclude by the end of System Shock 3. If it is a retcon, then what a needless kick in the ass to Ken Levine lol.

Exactly.  Finish the fuckin story before you go back in time for no good reason.  We waited 20 years for this.
6647d22231a0c
I liked the Shodan face. The rest has this weirdly childish haunted house look that looks so false and artificial it doesn't even begin to create immersion. It's in the details (and lack thereof): An RGB gun, glossy rocks, a guy with cut off arms and lower body screaming bloody hell, but looking more like a detached Ken Doll.
And that turret which looks like a PC case mod? The turrets in SS2 are a simple affair but at least they do look like a military design.
The scene where another Ken drops down into some kind of scifi tunnel, like my first poser model, while grey semen floats up that's supposed to be bubbles from a dissolving body.
A frozen body gets shot and falls apart at his limbs instead of where it was hit.
And yeah, why does this look more like a System Shock reboot than SSR does which keeps borrowing from SS2? You guys want to switch projects maybe?
Acknowledged by 2 members: ThiefsieFool, JosiahJack
6647d22231c20
At least Ken has nice teeth.

Ice gun is stupid.

{alt}
6647d22231d75
One monitor said "ShodOS"; Sentient Hyper-Optimized Data Operating System?
What's up with the stupid scanlines in the screens?

All the mechanical parts of cortex reaver looks nice.

About gameplay and design:
The base seems to be in an asteroid. Some parts show rock and other parts show space. Could be just prototyping level.
Guns look to be very customisable. "RGB" stuff are different damage types: Fire, Ice, Electricity and Kinematic?

6647d22231e3bicemann

6647d22231e85
Why in the world would they want to retcon SS2? That's just crazy.

Whilst not perfect, SS2 is one of the greatest games of all time. That'd be like if Alien 3 had retconned Aliens.

Nice one. You just pissed off your core audience before the games even out.

6647d2223209fRoSoDude

6647d222320f5
Community Manager comments from their Discord:

WOOHOO for hype! This is just a teaser though, we still have a couple of years ahead of us before we release. Also need that publisher :D

No confirmed co-op for SS3. Other projects though...

As for SHODAN... some of you may want to replay SS2!

There will still be important information in SS2 that informs SS3

Arghh but there's.... so much I can't talk about that I think are good interactions with the environment you can do in Shock3

perhaps it's more important to distinguish that a lot of the environmental interactions for Shock3 are more obviously intentional, and the player has more control over those.

The teaser trailer here highlighted some gameplay options of violence, but players looking for a more DOOM-like experience will be disappointed! Flatfingers is on the right track about a lot of things though... I don't think Warren has ever made a game that he himself disliked

So maybe they're not prequeling/retconning SS2? Bit confusing with the stated timeline, then.

6647d22232255JosiahJack

6647d222322a6
 :stroke:  O_o
2085???  So...Hacker could still be alive...could play as Hacker?  Or some rando?

But...

NOT A SEQUEL ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!  Calling it SS1.5

....unless being in a TriOp facility (where AI like SHODAN was made?(side thought, SHODAN is unique?)) is a backflash chapter after which you go into cryo only to wake up in 2120 when SHOBecca has returned to earth and you are the only one with the knowledge of the kill code or some such....and your the same Hacker from SS1, then that'd be cool.  :thumb: :headshot:

6647d222323dbChandlermaki

6647d2223242a
My first thought regarding the time shift is SHODAN using the FTL drive to alter reality (though this is most definitely over-analyzing on my part). Very nice to hear SS2 hasn't been entirely retconned.
« Last Edit: 12. September 2019, 00:20:43 by Chandlermaki »
1 Guest is here.
Tim has discovered infinite energy!
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6647d22232533