6647cf0b98b7c

6647cf0b9990a
1 Guest is here.

6647cf0b9a540Xkilljoy98

• Company: N/A
6647cf0b9a5a7
Given the fact that the remake makes changes from the original, I am looking for those potentially interesting in helping make a mod to correct some of those changes.

I'm not a fan of these changes as they stray too far from the original and ruin part of what made it good (IMO anyway).

Things changed in the remake that I would like to redo with a mod:

• Certain Enemy Designs in the remake that stray from the original
  • Enemies there were cut from the remake compared to the original
  • Music that was altered or removed from the remake compared to the original
  • Items and Weapons removed from the remake that were in the original
  • Cyberspace level layout and general look given that it differs from the original
  • Lighting in the remake (given it's much darker than the original)
  • Etc. (any other changes (at least noticeable ones) noticed)

There may be others I'm forgetting and when it comes out there may be more we don't know of right now, but for now that is a list of what IK of.

All of that stuff differs a lot from the original in a noticeable way (and not for the better IMO) and given the devs seem to want to go in a different direction, once the Remake comes out I would like to make a mod that makes it more like the original.

This is all assuming that the game is moddable, which was listed as a possibility and a stretch goal.

Anyone interested and with modding/art/music experience let me know.

There's also a discord you can join if interested:
https://discord.gg/hdDKe3R
« Last Edit: 30. September 2021, 23:10:31 by Xkilljoy98 »
6647cf0b9a74f
Sounds great.
What benefit does this give when finished compared to Enhanced Edition? (which differs from the original game also.)

6647cf0b9a85bBriareos H

6647cf0b9a8a6
Have they communicated on the moddability of the remake? I think UE4+ games are notoriously difficult to mod in depth if they are not enabled for it (aren't .paks encrypted?).

6647cf0b9ab17Xkilljoy98

6647cf0b9ab70
Sounds great.
What benefit does this give when finished compared to Enhanced Edition? (which differs from the original game also.)

Being able to experience the original game and it's details in full 3D, also as an option for those that want it and prefer how some things were done in the original given the differences being made.
« Last Edit: 30. September 2021, 23:17:48 by Xkilljoy98 »

6647cf0b9ad35Xkilljoy98

6647cf0b9ad82
Have they communicated on the moddability of the remake? I think UE4+ games are notoriously difficult to mod in depth if they are not enabled for it (aren't .paks encrypted?).

It was listed as a possibility and a stretch goal, but no official word on it afaik.
Acknowledged by: Briareos H

6647cf0b9b0b2Xkilljoy98

6647cf0b9b100
Have you looked at Citadel?

Citadel? the fan remake?, IK there have been a few fan remakes, but some got abandoned (like one that would have been a mod for SS2), last I heard it was still being worked on, but IDK the current state of it.

6647cf0b9b1feZylonBane

6647cf0b9b248
You guys all realize that X98 is just talking about modding Night Dive's System Shock remake, yes?

6647cf0b9b2f1icemann

6647cf0b9b339
I take back my comments. My bad. Misread the first post.

A corrections mod to rectify / bring back more in line with the original - Sure hell yeah. Could see many people being a fan of that.

6647cf0b9b412Xkilljoy98

System Shock Remake Mod project and help
6647cf0b9b464
So the System Shock remake is coming out eventually and since the devs have made a number of changes I dislike I would like to make a mod that adds in the original designs and missing items/enemies/weapons/etc, but IDK enough about blender or texturing.

I have been wanting to do this for awhile but never did anything with but figured no time like the present

IDK how to use blender or texturing so I wanted to ask if anyone could point me to some good tutorials or be willing to help out?

6647cf0b9b517Xkilljoy98

6647cf0b9b560
Still looking for help or resources btw if anyone is interested or knows any

If I had remembered that I made this post I wouldn't have made another one just now but looks like it was deleted anyway

Edit: turns out that post was just moved here
« Last Edit: 06. September 2022, 22:51:15 by Xkilljoy98 »

6647cf0b9b61dicemann

6647cf0b9b670
Since we'll likely not be able to access the game files direct via Unreal, developing a custom level editor may be the best plan. If that's even do-able. With that many things be achievable and quite quickly, like improving the lighting, using better textures etc etc.

6647cf0b9b8c5Xkilljoy98

6647cf0b9b915
icemannI think a level editor for the remake would be super helpful, something like HackEd or InkyBlackness.

It would help out a ton of modders.

6647cf0b9b9bcicemann

6647cf0b9ba14
For sure. Just the matter of someone putting one together.

6647cf0b9bc0aXkilljoy98

6647cf0b9bc5b
icemann
Yeah, hopefully someone does.

I would have to learn a lot of stuff to make one I would imagine

6647cf0b9bd15Xkilljoy98

6647cf0b9bd60
I have thrown around the idea of making a music mod for the Remake Demo to sort of test the waters of modding the remake, but I am not sure how to go about it.

6647cf0b9be3dicemann

6647cf0b9be8d
Well, absolute bare bones would be setting up an external app (kinda like FMSel) that swaps around files for when a mod is active. Depending on how the remake does music. Assuming it's just mp3's or something similar, then just be a matter of swapping it with a file of the same name. Then hey presto, music changed.

6647cf0b9c164Xkilljoy98

6647cf0b9c1c0
icemannWouldn't know how to go about doing that, but it is a potential idea

6647cf0b9c2eaXkilljoy98

6647cf0b9c340
Speaking of the remake, I got banned from the NDS discord for expressing my issues with the remake. I did it civilly too, they just had an issue with how often I could bring it up sometimes.

Welp, so much for “feedback”

And for the record all I did was express my opinions and issues with the remake

Not a warning or anything either

Ah well, I guess I don’t need to worry about it anymore but still annoys me that it was over a reason that isn’t really a good reason at all.

6647cf0b9c429icemann

6647cf0b9c47a
Surprised I didnt get banned. As I've complained about the lack of details, and reluctance in telling exactly where things are at in their KS updates, on quite a few occasions.

I'm just used to greater transparency and less mystery in projects I backon the service.
« Last Edit: 19. September 2022, 08:32:33 by icemann »

6647cf0b9c5b9voodoo47

6647cf0b9c618
ok, that is odd, want me to poke into it?
6647cf0b9c859
It is strange how, with Nightdive's other remasters, such as Doom 64, Turok 1 and 2, Quake, and Powerslave/Exhumed, they keep the remasters very faithful to the original games, and release them promptly. And yet with the new System Shock, their flag-ship product, they seem to be moving at a snail's pace, and make many changes that we enthusiasts aren't keen on.

Alright, so the new System Shock is more of a remake than a straight remaster, but even so that doesn't begin to remotely explain the endless delays or the lack of any real information about the game's progress. I would consider it to be vapourware, but then I remember how Nightdive Studios allowed me to legally own the original game (and in an enhanced form, with WASD and mouse controls - brilliant!), and their great work on remastering Turok, Turok 2, Doom 64, Quake, and Powerslave for modern hardware (I have them on the PS4), and the very welcome news that they are bringing the timeless classic System Shock 2 to modern platforms, and it makes me willing to not write off the new System Shock just yet.

Plus, since Prey (2017), the closest game to System Shock 2 that I know of, never received a sequel, and the official System Shock 3 seems to be totally abandoned, then I'd really hate to have to believe that Nightdive were never going to deliver their SS remaster.

6647cf0b9c900voodoo47

6647cf0b9c954
nobody is perfect.

still, "I don't like this" shouldn't get you banned.

6647cf0b9cbfeXkilljoy98

6647cf0b9cc53
voodoo47
Exactly, especially with no appeal or wanting
1 Guest is here.
Tim has discovered infinite energy!
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6647cf0b9cd67