SS1 SHLink - System Shock Windows wrapper (no music)

2 Guests are here.
Page: 1/45▶▶
6634ad953d847
Malba TahanQuote
SYSTEM SHOCK LOADER 0.6

Hello there!

I have recently switched from WinXP to Win7 64bit, so I couldn't get SS working without Dosbox anymore.
After that, I started to code a loader to run SS natively under win32. It basically acts as some kind of layer between SS and Win32, in order to fool SS into thinking it's running under DOS. There is no emulation, game runs full speed.
Unfortunately, there is one issue to be corrected yet: no music.
The current issues are:
- No music (I have just started to disassemble the music driver in order to try to figure out a way to make it work under Windows).
- Some bugs

I'd like to point out (is this the right verb?) that there are very important reasons to get SSHOCK running under Windows. Some of them are:
- OpenGL and/or Direct3D graphics. This reason should be enough to justify all the work "porting" SSHOCK to Windows.
- Better sound. Add support for custom sounds.
- Use 3d models instead of billboards.
- Add support for high-res textures.
- Add support for dynamic shadows (shadow mapping), bump mapping, normal mapping, etc...
- Add support for scripting (using LUA or another nice scripting engine).
- Add support for multiplayer (this is probably the hardest mod to create, I guess).
- Many more things.

Here are some screenshots:

Cut-scenes seem to be working.

The usual "init game settings" screen

Enemies coming. Game doesn't crash anymore.

Automap also works

I would appreciate any help, if possible.
The link to download the loader lies below in case anyone wishes to test it.

!! Source code released !!
Source code has been uploaded
Tools that you will need in order to compile the program:
* Open Watcom C compiler (I have used version 1.9)
* Nasm
* SDL library, developer for VC6 (I'm using SDL 1.2.13, because version 1.2.14 is buggy)

Best regards,
Malba Tahan
6634ad953e000
EnchantermonQuote

Quote by Malba Tahan:
I'd like to point out (is this the right verb?)
Yes. :)

Dude, if you're able to get this working, the System Shock fanbase will revere you forever. I'm not a programmer, so I can't really help, but you have my support! :)
6634ad953e18a
ZylonBaneQuote
That's some crazy ambitious stuff right there. Good luck!
6634ad953e52d
MarvinQuote
So that's what you've been up to in the last months? Most of the people here can only give you moral support, though.
6634ad953ebe1
TwertyQuote

Quote by Enchantermon:

Quote by Malba Tahan:
I'd like to point out (is this the right verb?)
Yes. :)

Dude, if you're able to get this working, the System Shock fanbase will revere you forever. I'm not a programmer, so I can't really help, but you have my support! :)
I dunno about the fanbase, but you've already reached deity position for me with what you've done to System Shock 1 alone. :p I am not entirely sure what your goal is, though. You're trying to get it working natively under a 32-bit XP-ish environment or 32/64 bit Windows 7?
Page: 1/45▶▶

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact