SS1 SHLink - System Shock Windows wrapper (no music)

2 Guests are here.
6647bf9980817
syntheticQuote
I have a question for people who happen to be more knowledgeable than me on the subject of GPL and GPL violations. Looking over the source code of SHLINK, I've noticed that some of the files contain a copy of GNU GPL license which states, among other things, that SHLINK is released under the terms of the license in question. Considering that EE's loader is a derivative work based on SHLINK's source code, am I right in assuming that the license extends to it and dictates that its source code must be made available as well?
6647bf9980a11
KolyaQuote
Your assumption is incorrect. Since the creator behind SHLINK and the Enhanced Edition is the same person, he can release his own works with as many different licenses as pleases him.
Acknowledged by: K-Bone
6647bf9980ba9
syntheticQuote
Thank you for your reply.

I've read GPL 2 FAQ and there are two points which look contradictory to me. On one hand, it says that the author themself is not bound by GPL and, as you say, can do with his program whatever pleases him. On the other hand, it says that the developer who had released a program under GPL can't later license it to another party for exclusive use.

I should say that I have a great respect for Malba Tahan, he's obviously a very talented programmer and a really nice person. I have nothing against Night Dive as well and most certainly don't want to cause them any headache. I'm not interested in stirring any trouble for the sake of it, I'm only interested in the source code. There's a lot to learn from it and I'd hate to see it lost the way the original System Shock's code was lost.
6647bf9980e75
unn_atroposQuote
If I remember correctly they said in the stream a few days back that they wanted to release the source code of the stuff they use to get the game working. (not the Sys1 code, because they don't have it.)
6647bf9980f2d
TarvisQuote
Neat. I'd like to try making the widescreen Hor+ instead of Vert-, and also add a way to turn off the awful sprite filtering when you get close to in-game sprites

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact