🔒 The long Dark

1 Guest is here.
Page: 1/6▶▶
6648bce4d71bf
KolyaQuote
The long Dark is a survival simulation in the Northern wilderness (America or Kanada presumably). It does not have zombies or aliens, instead it is very much occupied with providing a realistic and detailed simulation. After a magnetoelectric event you are dropped (plane crash or sth.) in a forest and have to find shelter, food, warmth and everything else needed to survive.
The game is still in production, ie unfinished, but you can already play the sandbox mode as I did for the last two days. And I guess what I really want to say is: Don't watch the trailer, because you want to find these places it shows for the first time in the game and get immersed in a great simulation.

http://intothelongdark.com/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/305620/
[TheLongDark_LakeSunset.jpg expired]
[TheLongDark_Deer.jpg expired]
[TheLongDark_Lookout.jpg expired]
[TheLongDark_Safehaven.jpg expired]
6648bce4d73a2
JudicatorQuote
I know the game but honestly I can't stand cartoon rendering, I just hate it.
There's a reason, though, why this game being successful could be important: Raindrop.
Basically the devs from Raindrop (a bunch of inexperienced guys) after their kickstarter failed joined The Long Dark's ones.
I don't want to derail the topic but if this game makes it then there is hope for Raindrop to still be developed.
6648bce4d74b9
KolyaQuote
I wouldn't call it cartoon rendering, more graphic novel style. But then I like this style. Since photorealistic rendering never actually achieves full photorealism, some abstraction is preferable for me. It smoothes out the little problems that give away that it's a game usually. This principle isn't limited to this specific style. Mirror's Edge did the same for me.
6648bce4d7945
ZylonBaneQuote

Quote by Judicator:
I know the game but honestly I can't stand cartoon rendering, I just hate it.
So you hate all Tim Schafer games, which means you have no soul.

Begone, soulless demon! I cast you out!
6648bce4d7ae8
NdrakeQuote
@ZB I know you are joking but I feel like I have to point out that you just connected appreciating certain games with being a soulful person. Just an observation, found that an interesting connection to make, even if it was just for the purpose of a joke.  ;)

I can see that this style, whatever you call it can be a barrier. Kolya is right photo realistic rendering always fails to meet the goal it sets for itself. But isn't the same also true for cartoon or graphic novel rendering? (not a rhetorical question I'm interested in your opinions on this). Doesn't this type of rendering fail to look like a cartoon or a graphic novel much like Bethesda-style rendering fails to look photo-realistic? I recently played Psychonauts - to me it's style somehow didn't look right in real time 3D rendering. Maybe it's because cartoons and graph. novels are usually very "flat" - they often consciously avoid creating the illusion of space, unlike classical painting for example.
Page: 1/6▶▶

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact