6647dc104dafb

6647dc104e606
1 Guest is here.

6647dc104edce
Tags: °roguelike
I noticed that the Free Games section was looking a little tired, and simply could not abide that; here are some good, free games to keep you occupied in between work, hobbies, and Shock. ;)

Dwarf Fortress is a freeware game where you, uh, manage a fortress of Dwarves. It's been described as an ASCII Dungeon Keeper, but it might be better to think of it as a mix of that and Sim City. A lot of the fun of the game comes from the fact you cannot control your Dwarves directly; you might build a still and set a queue of brewing, but if your dwarves feel there are more important tasks, that they don't have enough skill, or are feeling emotionally conflicted, they might do something else entirely. The unofficial motto is losing is fun - supposedly to represent the harsh difficulty, curve - but is one of the reasons I've never been able to get into the online forums there. My fortresses tend to be walled up citadels with multiple gates that only open to allow trade and visitors in, with each individual Dwarf's needs satisfied painstakingly. I find combat boring compared to the incredibly cool cultural and technological goals you can set yourself. Someone even made a Turing complete! (Technically, it's actually a little more complex then a base TC needs to be!)  :) Also, the huge amount of (mostly) accurate rocks and minerals is a real treat for amateur geologists. If you're interested, pick it up! I'll be glad to help out, although I will admit due to machine specs, I'm still using the pre-most recent version.  :p

Next, we have Eversion. This is a fun, cutesy little game! It's about a flower on a quest to rescue a princess! <- and -> are walk, Z is jump, and X uses a special eversion power in certain areas! See if you can collect all the gems! There are some disturbing themes in this game.

If anyone wants me to bust into my collection o'stuff, I'll see if I have anything else interesting. I love seeing Gearhead, Sputnik, and the like here - although just cursorarily I don't see A.D.O.M or AuSable, so those are two to showcase later, I guess. Well, have fun!
« Last Edit: 26. February 2011, 23:49:20 by Kolya »

6647dc104ef44lostone1993

6647dc104efaa
If make a suggestion for dwaf fortress is this repack it can make the game more user friendly
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.msg1319616

6647dc104f315GiggyTheEvil

6647dc104f374
Jesus Christ that second game got grimdark as fuck remained cheery and friendly.

Dwarf fortress has been added to the New York Museum Of Modern Art. It is still being updated by it's two person team: the Tarn brothers, and had been in production since 2002.In addition to fortress mode (running a fortress  :D)  it also has adventurer mode (deep roguelike, the main focus of the upcoming update, where you can take on quests and roam the world before being brutally murdered at night by boogeymen) and legend mode (where you can peruse the entire history of any world you generated).While at the moment, all fortresses must end, soon you will be able to retire forts to trust their running to the Dwarf civilisation and you can do other things, such as visiting your fortress in adventurer mode.

The forums for dwarf fortress are good. You should look up mermaid farming: chaining up sentient creatures and suffocating their young just so that they can carve the bones. It was a glory of both cruelty and of engineering. If you haven't read it, read about the boatmurdered community fortress as well on lparchive.org. From an older version of dwarf fortress, back when it was 2D.
Acknowledged by: Briareos H

6647dc104f449callum13117

6647dc104f4a0
Much praise for posting Eversion here. One of the only platformers that's made me scared shitless.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

Who's your favourite artificial intelligence:
1 Guest is here.
This is a private conversation. None of your beeswax.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6647dc104f5b1