🔒 System Shock remake and System Shock 3

1 Guest is here.
Page: 1/68▶▶
664b63d471db7
rcccQuote
Dunno if it's already linked here, but this might be of interest: http://m.fastcompany.com/3053050/app-economy/how-one-company-is-bringing-old-video-games-back-from-the-dead
664b63d47237e
unn_atroposQuote
One example: Night Dive is developing a full remake of the original System Shock, going well beyond the basic rerelease that launched a couple months ago. Night Dive has acquired the full rights to the franchise, and Kick says he’s been working with Robert Waters, the game's original concept artist, to reimagine his designs from the early 1990s.

"Seeing the difference between his artistic abilities back then compared to now, and his ablity to reinterpret those ideas, it's just been really exciting for us," Kick says.

Part of the plan for this remake also includes a console version, which would be a first for Night Dive. Kuperman believes much of the company's future growth will come from creating console adaptations for more PC games, along with some ports for mobile devices.

We may even see a System Shock 3 someday, though Night Dive would need a larger publisher to take on the task. Kuperman says the company is "having some conversations" on this front. "To really do another game in that series is going to take resources and time and commitment that we don't have, and it's really not our core business," Kuperman says. (Until now, 2K Games’ Bioshock series has stood in as a spiritual successor.)

Well, I really don't know what to think about that. Why are they doing that? Can they do it?
664b63d472859
Join2Quote

Quote by unn_atropos:
Well, I really don't know what to think about that.

Why? Seems clear-cut to me:

"To really do another game in that series is going to take resources and time and commitment that we don't have, and it's really not our core business," Kuperman says

Kuperman believes much of the company's future growth will come from creating console adaptations for more PC games, along with some ports for mobile devices

Their core business, is business. Money. It is obvious they don't care about what SS stood for.
Sadly, if they did want to take this series to the next level the PC gaming audience and industry standards would probably just run them into the ground anyway, much like what happened to LGS as a result of System Shock 1 & 2.
664b63d4729f2
SynaesthesiaQuote
That sounds absolutely fantastic. If it keeps with the original look and feel of the game (SS1 remake) but updates it for today's gaming standards, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
664b63d472b0b
CFW MagicQuote
I'm EXTREMELY skeptical about this. The reason for that is the word "console". Part of what made systemshock so intensely amazing was it's complexity, especially for the early 90's. That game still has more gameplay elements than most games today. I wouldn't mind seeing a fully functional railgun, but if it means we're going to lose things like mantling, a varied ammo/damage/defense system or an inventory, then I want no piece of this, and I don't want these guys anywhere near the rights to SS.

Time will tell I guess, but, call me nihilist, I'm very disillusioned with today's gaming standards to rest assured that SS is in good hands.
Page: 1/68▶▶

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact