🔒 System Shock remake and System Shock 3

1 Guest is here.
664b531974045
foxQuote
Overall something that is known for oldschool cyberpunk should stay oldschool but I think there's still room for subtle updates. If something is so glaringly anachronistic that it becomes unintentionally funny (like DXs landline-phones) then it should be changed. While Human Revolution overdid it a bit in some areas (and with the whole stylizing) and generally lacked a bit in grit, it managed the transistion quite ok, I think. Not an easy task though.
664b531974199
Producer_chrisQuote
Sure basic gameplay IS Looking Glass. That won't change. But I see a number of people talking about another Haunted House experience, retreading that same ideal. I'm not sure that is the best call..it may be the right call. There are other fears than isolation. What happens if Shodan gets into the wild? What happens if she 'wins'? Either of these threads won't allow the game to take place in a vacuum. Anyway...

But Cyberspace and cyberpunk in general has so many new and interesting threads to pull. Cyborg-ism, bio-enginnering, hell, computing in general has completely changed since 99.

All of this said, I'm head down in Underworld right now and honestly try not to give Shock too many brain cells.
664b53197432c
Producer_chrisQuote
Retro: Best example is the latest Alien game which kept to the seventies version of the future.
But is that really what we want to do with Shock?
Like I said, I'm not completely sure that Retrofuture is the way to go. It all starts feeling like a Terry Brooks film to me thinking that way, and never feels quite right.
Now, reimagining old cyberpunk tropes with modern thoughts around it. I still think 'entering' the net can be done and still be awesome. But what that looks like needs to be completely reimagined, even if we kept the cyperpunk terminology the same -black ice..exc.
664b5319744ce
foxQuote
Please don't stray too far from SS2's look and feel (aesthetics and gameplay). Once again I want to point at "Invisible War" as a warning and bad example. And then compare that to Human Revolution (+The Missing Link). Otherwise what's the point of using the franchise?

In terms of visible cyberspace I can't really think of an appealing way to make it look less retro as it's one of the few tropes that didn't become a reality. I guess that's not just because of hardware limitations but simply because 2D-diagrams and text-based lists still offer a better overview of the desired informations then fancy 3D-tunnels you have to maneuver through with almost zero usability. 

So if you'd want to make that more realistic I guess it should be more like todays augmanted reality-applications for engineering or architects. You know, enhancing stuff visually only when it makes sense in the context and offering text or symbols where that is the easier to comprehend solution. Offering options for zooming in and out of stuff, etc.. 

There are some interesting videos about the HoloLens on YT. If you'd replace the 80ies cyberspace with something like that in SS3, I'd consider it a reasonable update but I guess others would find that too much of a change already.
664b5319746c0
Join2Quote
A modern, or just different take on the setting is fine to me. I do think it is important OtherSide get creative even with the established IPs, but so much of the original designs in Shock, Deus Ex, Underworld and the like are so logical, synergistic and well executed that very little should be discarded I feel. Each Immersive Sim shares a hell of a lot in common, yet have so many differences. There's a lot of iterative design, building upon the past.

What I desire to see is another step in evolution from the crew once more. The evolution of the early '90s LG games (Underworld, Shock) to the late 90s (Shock 2, Deus Ex and even Arx). That was both an innovative and iterative evolution, kept nearly everything good about the earlier games, and another evolution along those lines would blow my fucking mind (again). Pull it off and you truly would be the finest talent the industry has ever seen, and probably ever will. Sadly, I doubt you will pull it off on that level, mostly due to circumstance (i.e budget and some other things), but I would not be surprised if you proved me wrong.

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact