🔒 System Shock remake and System Shock 3

1 Guest is here.
664bbeebca719
ZylonBaneQuote
Not wanting to go out of business is so greedy.
Acknowledged by 2 members: JosiahJack, Dazzle!!
664bbeebcac2f
RocketManQuote
A bit of an exaggeration since most video game companies are shooting way higher than just staying in business.  It's not like they aren't aware of the concessions they are making for the sake of margin.  Wanting to make a healthy profit isn't inherently a bad thing, especially if it's quite obvious that's your motivation for going into business.  It becomes a problem when you chase after profit at the expense of quality.  It also becomes a problem when you set a precedent of caring so much about the product you're making and then use that as leverage to sell the substandard product you've settled with, to the widest possible audience.  I'm speaking hypothetically at the moment but it can and does happen.  I'm no guru when it comes to the console vs PC market but you don't have to be in order to see why a company would want their game to support both, and how that might not be the smartest move, even if it's the most profitable one.
Acknowledged by 2 members: Join usss!, Learonys
664bbeebcad44
RocketManQuote
...but I'm being a bit grouchy and an unnecessary downer at the moment so I'll shut up now.
664bbeebcb1d4
icemannQuote

Quote by voodoo47:
but here's the thing, playing it safe does not bring in the amazing - to make the amazing, you need to take risks, and that's something that doesn't look good on a powerpoint presentation. so not happening, as long as the usual kind of suits has control.

Well taking risks was what LGS was all about. Shame that it didn't = the results that they deserved. Generally game companies fit into 1 of 2 categories: Those that take risks and go for new game styles / unorthodox methods (ID Software up to Quake 2, Origin, Bullfrog, LGS etc) and those that copy everyone else or stick with established genres/game types that guarantee (on paper) good $$$ returns.
664bbeebcb345

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact