🔒 System Shock remake and System Shock 3

1 Guest is here.
663d3ff051f71
foxQuote
I can see where you are coming from and I agree that other aspects of SS's design are more important. Still, I totally share that specific fascination with Spector and think that SS is a good place to continue work on that element. I always thought that Levine and Spector would make a potentially great team because Levine does seem to excell more at story writing while Spector seems better in the gameplay department.

663d3ff0521a4
QuindorrianQuote
Apparently, Specter is playing through SS1 and SS2 before he starts on SS3.  I think that is a great thing, but I hope he is able to appreciate the right things about these beloved games.  Depth of game-play is just as important as atmosphere.  The ability to modify weapons, change their firing behavior, and improve your skills with them, is something that should not be perceived as "a hassle".  The same goes for many elements of System Shock. 

For some reason, this whole thing kinda reminds me of Star Wars where Episode VII is the movie fans have wanted.  System Shock 3 needs to be the game we fans have wanted.  If Specter bases SS3 on his opinions only, then we may have some problems.  He (or an important part of his team) needs to be fan(s) of the series with the intent of really making it shine even brighter.  That was the problem Lucas had with Stars Wars in E1-E3.  He created the movies based on his own opinions and then got pissed when the fans were pissed.  Something like System Shock, with its own sub-culture, needs to be treated like a fan would treat it.  That is why the mods on this site are so great; because they were created by fans and it shows. 

I couldn't be more excited about SS3, especially after listening to the teaser (I got chills, as well).  There's something about the teaser...  It feels right...  This gives me a lot of hope.  I really hope Specter understands the fan-base though (at least enough to pull this off).  This is my most anticipated game of all time.  Crossing my fingers.
663d3ff05236f
foxQuote
I'm leaving this here because it's Spector talking but it's not really about System Shock.

"You Don’t Have as Much Control in Videogames as You Think"
http://www.wired.com/2016/03/geeks-guide-warren-spector/

In case you don't like Wired's anti-adblock-wall, here's the cached version:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:_en95HdUxBgJ:http://www.wired.com/2016/03/geeks-guide-warren-spector/%2Bhttp://www.wired.com/2016/03/geeks-guide-warren-spector/&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&hl=de&&ct=clnk
663d3ff052890
Producer_chrisQuote

Quote by Quindorrian:
Apparently, Specter is playing through SS1 and SS2 before he starts on SS3.  I think that is a great thing, but I hope he is able to appreciate the right things about these beloved games.  Depth of game-play is just as important as atmosphere.  The ability to modify weapons, change their firing behavior, and improve your skills with them, is something that should not be perceived as "a hassle".  The same goes for many elements of System Shock. 

For some reason, this whole thing kinda reminds me of Star Wars where Episode VII is the movie fans have wanted.  System Shock 3 needs to be the game we fans have wanted.  If Specter bases SS3 on his opinions only, then we may have some problems.  He (or an important part of his team) needs to be fan(s) of the series with the intent of really making it shine even brighter.  That was the problem Lucas had with Stars Wars in E1-E3.  He created the movies based on his own opinions and then got pissed when the fans were pissed.  Something like System Shock, with its own sub-culture, needs to be treated like a fan would treat it.  That is why the mods on this site are so great; because they were created by fans and it shows. 

I couldn't be more excited about SS3, especially after listening to the teaser (I got chills, as well).  There's something about the teaser...  It feels right...  This gives me a lot of hope.  I really hope Specter understands the fan-base though (at least enough to pull this off).  This is my most anticipated game of all time.  Crossing my fingers.
We at Otherside completely agree. But we can't be slaves to the past either. I think one of the first questions we need to ask is are we 'old time' cyberpunk, or do we push forward to 'modern' cyberpunk? So much has changed since the early days of this genre do we explore where that takes us? Episode VII is the great example of reintroduction, but to just do a beat for beat SS remake I don't think would make fans, or frankly us, happy.
663d3ff052c69
RocketManQuote
It depends on what you believe has become antiquated about the 94/99 way of making System Shock.  What elements of those games do you believe would tie you down in a modern sequel?  Why is it that we did not get pissed off when SS2 was released?  It was certainly a different sort of game than SS1 was.  Use that as your template.  Some things changed but much of what mattered stayed the same.  And just as a thought experiment, pretend that time flowed in reverse and SS1 came after SS2.  Would we have been upset with that?  What was it about SS1 that would have kept us happy in spite of its older design?

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact