663670925c2e2

663670925c9b7
1 Guest is here.

Topic: System Shock 2 Multiplayer on Win 7, x64 Read 4270 times  

663670925d028SySthief

663670925d08a
I try to make connectivly "server" throught Hamachi.

But I have several problems:
- latest versions of Hamachi is commercials, and, as I can understand, dont have some functions, which need for SS2. It is right(and -> need more old free version), or possible use latest commercial versions?
-  I cant find Network Connections with advanced menu with Advanced settings with VPN connection in Windows 7. Where I should find him?
- As result, the game think what I have LAN TCP/IP adress and create a Host game with him.

I read this guide - https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=61.0 - but cant find topics on this forum with same problem, because topic names dont have key words for it and search throught messages will have more time, which I dont have.
663670925d26b
You cannot rely on the IP address given in the game. If you are connected to a VPN the address in the game will usually be wrong and may look like a LAN address.
Just make sure the game uses the VPN network connection (the guide explains how to do that) and then try to connect with a friend. Your friend should use your VPN address, not the one you see in the game.

663670925d352SySthief

663670925d3a4
If you mean it from the guide:
"2) Open Network Connections, go to the advanced menu, open Advanced settings, select the VPN connection and press the up arrow until it's the top priority."

So, I wrote what I cant find it, because Win 7 dont use Network Connection like Windows XP - Win 7 use Network Center, which dont have separate VPN connection and I cant create it. Hamachi creates as separate network without any access to the internet and without VPN.

I will glad, if I mistake and just dont understand how it should be in practice.
663670925d4bf
Go to your network and sharing center (by rightclicking the network icon in your task try). On the left see "Manage wireless networks". Select the vpn network, click "Move up".

663670925d5e2SySthief

663670925d62e
I try to make vpn use this guide - http://paulstamatiou.com/how-toreview-surf-securely-with-vyprvpn

But I got message what vpn connection is impossible.

Also, I dont have "Manage wireless networks" - I have only two options, as on this screenshot from the net - http://turbo.paulstamatiou.com/uploads/2010/01/win7_vpn_setup_1_905.jpg
663670925d91f
It's in "Change Adapter Settings". Go there, press Alt+E and move to the slider next to the "?". Choose the last option. In the menu that pop ups now you can do what Kolya told you to.

663670925d9f7SySthief

663670925da41
Alt+E doesnt work.

Is possible alternative variant call something, which will have "?"(by the way, how it must be looking)?

"Manage wireless networks" and\or VPN also dont avaliable in "Change Adapter Settings" - only 2 L2TP devices, which have connection to the internet; other devices is Hamachi, 2 VMWare Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMNet and Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller without access to the internet.
663670925db2c
Try entering "network" into the start->search and see if you can find "Manage wireless networks" there.
What is your OS version?

663670925dbcaSySthief

663670925dc14
Windows 2.6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1)

Found "Manage wireless networks". Me need create a network profile myself or network "Computer-Computer"?
663670925dd0c
You need to load Hamachi or whatever and its network connection should show up. Select it and click the "Move up" button.

663670925ddd6SySthief

663670925de19
Hamachi doesnt shows in wireless networks.

System thinks what wireless devices and connection is disabled; wireless network service doesnt run.

Hamachi working, but I have doubts about current version, which I try to use(first Install 2.1.0.374, then change to 2.1.0.215 without re-install).
663670925e0f5
I've been playing fine old days with old hamachi (around 2007), and it worked for me this year with new logmein. What you and your partner have to do (as far as i remember):

download and install "logmein hamachi", non-commercial installation;
both have account on logmein website
disable firewall for hamachi's connection
both connect to hamachi network (just press "power on" button)

Then you have to create the network in your logmein profile. Yeah, online (6 years ago everything was inside the program), after that ask your partner to connect to the network you've created - you must give him the ID of the network - 9 numbers. Make sure he appears in your network list of your hamachi client - try to ping his address let him ping yourself.

Here's how it looks in my case:
http://imageshack.us/a/img43/8273/b3l.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img835/3020/9u6u.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img834/3954/fxo9.png

Then you both start the game. Who's the host doesn't matter. If you're hosting, you might see your local or ips ip address, but not hamachi's one - that's normal and doesn't matter. Your partner should use your hamachi's ip address to connect to your game.

If something's stuck when connecting just both reconnect to hamachi network and restart (close and run again!) the game.

If everything is allright, save before going to any bulkhead/lift. Make a fresh save each time. It will save your nerves and time!
663670925e3f3
If you still have problems and need to prioritize the network connections, I looked up a guide which tells you step by step to get to the settings.
http://levynewsnetwork.wordpress.com/2011/12/01/windows-7-default-internet-connection-choice/
663670925e554
Thanks Olfred, I updated the multiplayer guide with a description for windows 7.

While we are at that, you can block a program from using a certain connection with the default windows 7 firewall:
In firewall advanced settings find inbound rule for "System Shock 2", rightclick, select Properties, Advanced, customize Interface Types.

Just noting this here to remind myself of updating the guide later. 
EDIT: Done.
« Last Edit: 18. July 2013, 22:35:09 by Kolya »

663670925e66dSySthief

663670925e6c4
OK, I understand my mistake, I think.

What I do:
- Load Hamachi, as usual.
- Go to "Change Adapter Settings", several times press Alt+E(doesnt work from the first time), select Advanced.
- In "Adapters and Bindings" select Hamachi and press up arrow that it was at the top of the list.
- Disable the internet.
- Run the game. Now I see Hamachi IP adress.
- Connect to the internet.

To be sure that all works, me need little help - 1-3 people for testing multiplayer.
663670925e7cb
You need 2 people at most. 4 player multiplayer doesn't work anymore since the newdark update.
663670925e8f3
As I mentioned, that's absolutely normal when you see not hamachi's address in system shock. I've played it many times with various people, on various os'es, and never had a problem related to the address that the game draws. So there's no need to disconnect>run>connect.

663670925ea13Denhonator

663670925ea66
So, what does it affect to use the website/profiles on LogMeIn? Why isn't just Hamachi enough?
663670925eb69
It used to be enough to log into hamachi. I guess the required website login is some kind of marketing thing.
1 Guest is here.
My memory has just been sold. Shodan is the centerfold (Shodan is the centerfold)
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
663670925ec6b