6647ee3fa4844
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS2 constantly crashing Read 3939 times  

6647ee3fa4e38
My specs as I can think of them currently:

Windows 7 32-bit

processor: AMD athlon II X2 250 Processor 3.00 GHz

4.00 GB RAM

(sorry I'm really new at asking about these kinds of things, or even computers in general)

I've used the great guides here to get System Shock 2 up and running. Only mods are Rebirth and SHTUP. I have also used Note++ to fix the use/shoot bind issue with the inventory.

I have the Modmanager and SSTools. I DO NOT run SS2 through the modmanager, my cutscenes would never work. I went through the guide on getting cutscenes to work (using the DOS box) and when I start my game I run it as administrator and from my windows start bar.

For the most part everything ran awesome and looked great! But as I'm now about nine hours into it I'm getting crashes almost constantly. (I have just started the Recreations Deck). I have to save  every minute or so.

The error I get after game crash is: "System Shock 2 has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Things that cause me to crash:

VERY COMMON  -Pressing "U" to listen to new disks (almost always makes my game crash. I save before listening to any of them) [strangely enough, after the crash and I go back in the game and try again to listen to the audio disk again, I can listen without issue]

Somewhat Common  -saving the game (this has been happening more often)

Uncommon  -using items in inventory (am I clicking too fast and crashing it out? I don't know)

Uncommon -crashes for reasons unknown

Now the game hasn't been this bad until around the Hydroponics area of the game (around my 7 hour mark of playing), then it was only the audio disks that would crash me out. But now it's just crash fest!

I'm going to keep playing, regardless of crashes every three to ten minutes. I really hope someone has had this experience or something similar, I am really loving this game and want to keep playing it without raging. *.*

6647ee3fa516b
- Did you check all options when installing the SS2Tool?
- Check if you have a file C:/Windows/lg.ini
- Where is your game folder located?
- Do you have any other applications running?
- Start the game, Alt+Tab out of it, start the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc), find shock2.exe, right-click it, select "Set Affinity..." and make sure only one CPU is checked. Alt+Tab back into the game and see if it still crashes in that session.
6647ee3fa5604
- Did you check all options when installing the SS2Tool?
- Check if you have a file C:/Windows/lg.ini
- Where is your game folder located?
- Do you have any other applications running?
- Start the game, Alt+Tab out of it, start the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc), find shock2.exe, right-click it, select "Set Affinity..." and make sure only one CPU is checked. Alt+Tab back into the game and see if it still crashes in that session.

-All options were checked.

-I do have the lg.ini

-Game folder is located at Computer/Local Disk(C:)/SShock2

-I'll usually only have Steam running the background for chat purposes, but it's not used heavily.

-I'm assuming by "only one CPU" you mean the option for "CPU 1". Prior it was set to "CPU 0". I'll check if this works.

Thanks for taking the time to try and help me out. :)
6647ee3fa572b
Awww YEAH!

Changing the Affinity to "CPU CORE 1" and making sure everything else was unchecked seemed to have totally fixed it!

Thanks so much! :D
6647ee3fa58b7
Interesting. I actually only meant to make sure that there are not several CPUs assigned, eg CPU0+CPU1.
If setting it to CPU1 really fixes your problem you can credit yourself for the solution.  ;)

However currently you'll have to assign the process affinity to CPU1 every time you play. It can be assigned permanently but first make sure that there are no more crashes. Then you can...
- download the attached archive
- extract it into your game folder
- run the file "processor.bat"

You can then delete imagecfg.exe and processor.bat. The game will now automatically be assigned to CPU1 whenever you start it.
1 Guest is here.
Golden, too, are the posts of its doors.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6647ee3fa5a13