663491cc6bfff

663491cc6c66d
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS2 Alternative Mod Loading Read 10084 times  

663491cc6ce18
A previously unknown way to make a SS2 installation mod-ready has been discussed in this thread on ttlg. It's here mainly for reference.

Place all the mis-files from your ss2-root dir in a folder called "MIS" in ss2-root dir.
Now you can install mods by placing their content in the "patch"-folder and FM's mis-files in ss2-root. They'll override the original mis-files in the newly created folder "MIS". If you don't have a "patch"-folder simply create one in ss2-root dir.

I don't recommend using this method. It doesn't work with the SS2 Modmanager which relies on the well known older method. The Modmanager will apply this old method unaware of your changes.
And while it would work fine if you don't plan to use the Modmanager there's still the disadvantage that Mods/FMs aren't prepared to be used that way. You'd have to distribute the files yourself manually every time you install a mod.

In short: Only use this method if you're completely sure what you're doing.

« Last Edit: 08. September 2007, 14:47:16 by Kolya »
663491cc6d014
Here's another one by Nameless Voice:

You can load mod data straight from a zip archive without unzipping it.  Put examplemod.zip into the SS2 folder, then in install.cfg change the resname_base line, to something like:
resname_base .\examplemod+.\Res

You can also load several mod archives.
Unfortunately you can't load fan missions this way, because SS2 refuses to read the .mis files from inside a zip archive.
« Last Edit: 30. June 2007, 19:59:21 by Kolya »

663491cc6d33cAssidragon

SS2 Cleaner Mod Ready
663491cc6d394
Note: This method is being employed by the SS2Tool since version 2.9. --Kolya

Okay, so, here is the next-gen mod readier for SS2. The method was figured out by NamelessVoice, I only made the repetitive task easier. ;)

Inside the zip is a single bat file. This batch file makes your non-mod-ready SS2 mod ready. BE SURE TO MOD READY SS2 BEFORE INSTALLING MODMANAGER. YOU NEED TO HAVE SS2 OFFICIAL PATCH APPLIED.

Just place this file next to shock2.exe and run it. It will move all your original files into Data, and create a directory called DataPermanentMods. This will ease your life in many, MANY ways:
  • All your original files are kept in a nice and secure Data folder. You can no longer break your install with botching a mod install. You can simply wipe the main folders clean and not worry about it.
  • In case you want to install mods that act as "permanent" mod (ie not through modmanager), you can simply unzip them into DataPermanentMods. Things like SHTUP are easier to keep this way, since they'll just sit there and do their job - you will never have to fiddle with them again. Again, this directory is secure from botched mod-install breakdowns.
  • Lastly, mods are installed in the conventional way, through modmanager.

The batch file does all the file copying and directory creation automatically, as well as updating the install.cfg file. After you mod-readied your install, just install ModMan and play away.

Have fun.  :bluegrin:
« Last Edit: 21. March 2010, 13:38:27 by Kolya »

663491cc6d6a0Ironword

Did you really mean "unzip"?
663491cc6d703
Hi. Quick question. I've done what I described in my post https://www.systemshock.org/index.php/topic,672.msg1956.html#msg1956 , new full install, then running SS2tool and then makess2ready, so now I have the Datapermanentmods folder. I want shtup, shmup, Straylight adoab, and rebirth complemented to go into DataPermanentMods. But there's a problem.

Here, you say "you can simply unzip them into DataPermanentMods." However, when I unzip the files and then try to copy them into DataPermanentMods, I'm getting conflicts because three of these mods have mod.ini files at the top hierarchical level, so the mod.ini of the previous mod will be overwritten by the mod.ini of the next mod being unzipped into the folder.

So either A) only one of these three mods can be in the DataPermanentMods folder at any one time, or B) the DataPermanentMods folder will work with zipped archives. I'm assuming the latter, since Kolya says that SS2 can read all mod data inside zip files (except *.mis).

If this is the case, however, Assidragon's instructions are incorrect: users in fact cannot "unzip [mods] into DataPermanentMods"--unless there's only one mod in the folder, the mods must remain zipped in order to avoid overwriting each other's mod.ini. But they'll all work, even though they're zipped.

Correct?

663491cc6d872Nameless Voice

663491cc6d8c8
The Mod.ini files are information files for the SS2 Mod Manager, to give the mod a proper title and description.
You don't need them, and can safely overwrite them, or even delete them.

663491cc6d97aIronword

663491cc6d9ce
Aha! Thanks for the clarification.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

How can you challenge a ____, immortal machine? (Fill in the missing word):
1 Guest is here.
stay away from normal people. they are stupid
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
663491cc6db53