SS2 Kolya Crosshair

1 Guest is here.
66491f5aad61d
KolyaQuote
It's possible and not very hard. Start with a 16x16 pixel image. Paint your cross-hair in it with a hard edged stencil tool using the colours you like. Save it as GIF and make sure that the background colour of your image ends up as the first colour in the palette. That way the game will know this is supposed to be transparent.
If you make a new cross-hair we can post it here or in a thread of its own.
66491f5aad797
FironkkuifyQuote
Well I can try and see what I can do.

Though I'm a little confused as to what you mean by "hard-edged stencil tool" and "making the background color the first one to appear so that it's transparent".

Isn't it possible to do this sort of thing in Paint? 

And aside from the icon picture, there were two other files that be either placed in the iface folder of the ss2 folder (or one could use mod manager to skip that any altering, but those two files still exist). 
66491f5aad99f
Nameless VoiceQuote
Paint isn't exactly a proper image editing tool.  You'd be much better off using Photoshop or The Gimp.
66491f5aadb16
KolyaQuote
The icon is only displayed in the mod manager. It has nothing to do with the actual mod. The real mod files are the textures in the iface folder.

You will need something better than Paint. I suggest the Gimp because it's free.

I mean that the drawing tool should not produce a blurry edge but a hard edge as can be seen in the image above. Looks kinda like 8bit or lack of anti-aliasing, doesn't it? That's because we only have 255 colours available after compression.

Open one of the mod files (eg CROSSHAI.PCX) in the Gimp. Search the Gimp's help for "color palette" and find out how to view and edit the colour palette of CROSSHAI.PCX. You'll see that of the 255 available colour slots in the palette only very few are actually being used. One is the first, which holds the background colour of the image.
66491f5aadbf7
FironkkuifyQuote
Looks like I'll have to get Gimp again.  I'll try and figure it out at some point and make a cool crosshair design.  Thanks for the help -w-

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact