6637d61b98b54
1 Guest is here.

Topic: [Obsolete] SS2 Community Patch (SCP) Beta 4
Page: « 1 ... 11 [12]
Read 23666 times  

6637d61b991davoodoo47

Re: SS2 Community Patch (SCP) Beta 5
6637d61b9925d
ZB probably could script it that way, but I'm thinking he has bigger fish to fry.

6637d61b9936dZylonBane

6637d61b993d9
That's not an email. We know it's not an email because it's not in your emails. Q.E.D.

6637d61b9949bbombum on his phone

6637d61b994e9
Non-email messages are either telepathic transmissions or physically heard. Shodan has access to neither option at the start of the game.

6637d61b999dbsarge945

6637d61b99a45
That's not an email. We know it's not an email because it's not in your emails. Q.E.D.

It's not in your emails for technical reasons, ie it being from a cutscene. But claiming it's not an email in the lore sense because it doesn't appear in your log as one is just being intentionally dense. There's no valid reason to assume the developers did this intentionally.

Polito sends you a transmission in the cutscene. In all other cases she sends you transmissions, she does so via email. Q.E.D it's very likely an email. The Many speaks to you telepathically and they don't show up as emails, but they are the only ones who do this. It's very obvious that the developers intended there to be a distinction here.

The only other times you don't get emails from her are the "good work, I'm sending you some cyber modules" emails. It makes sense that these don't get logged because they would clutter up the list of emails and provide no useful information for anyone. This seems very likely a case where realism takes a backseat for playability. But I can see a tangible reason why someone might want to review the starting email, especially on their first playthrough. Not having it there seems far more like an oversight than an intentional decision.

Whether it's possible (or worth doing) on a technical level is a different question, but "it's not an email" is flat out wrong. If it's not an email then what is it?
« Last Edit: 02. July 2023, 01:10:30 by sarge945 »

6637d61b99e07ZylonBane

6637d61b99e76
Whether it's possible (or worth doing) on a technical level is a different question, but "it's not an email" is flat out wrong.
Can you prove that?

If it's not an email then what is it?
Polito talking over the same PA system Xerxes uses.

6637d61b9a085tiphares4

6637d61b9a0ef
i have one suggestion for SS2 Community Patch / SCP:

How about changing the player's starting point in med/sci a few meters closer towards the cryo-chambers? So especially new players won't miss those lovely camera feedback screens above their heads (as shown in that cutscene beforehand..) ?

In my very first playthroughs i always missed that detail. i think most players will look around before moving, right?

first screenshot is vanilla starting point:
[dump487.png expired]
[dump139.png expired]
[dump447.png expired]
[dump449.png expired]
« Last Edit: 02. January 2024, 16:14:11 by Moderator »
Acknowledged by: bombum

6637d61b9a5d7sarge945

6637d61b9a634
Can you prove that?
Polito talking over the same PA system Xerxes uses.

The PA system she never uses again, including when you're still in the same room just moments later?

"Hmm, the area is about to depressurize, I was just using the pa system, which would be a good way to warn him, but I'll send him an email about it instead"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uesx85EHRTo

I find it far harder to accept that Sholito has access to a PA system she uses once, that's never mentioned again, and that's very likely controlled by Xerxes, rather than the far more reasonable idea that Irrational didn't implement a system for pre-read emails and didn't care enough to include the one in the cutscene. They cut quite a lot of other corners with the game and that whole intro segment has multiple emails that never play, so it's obvious that section was reworked a lot before what we got in the final version.

Obviously I don't have definitive proof that it's an email. At the same time, I don't have to prove it. All the other explanations make far less sense and offer far less evidence (can you prove it's a PA message?). I claimed it's most likely an email and I gave good reasons why they might not have added it. You can argue that they didn't add it deliberately because they intended it to be a PA message, but that isn't a very strong argument considering the lack of intent elsewhere.

But this isn't going to go anywhere. SCP is your (and voodoos) mod. Add it if you want to add it. Don't if you don't. If someone wants the email to appear correctly, there's always DML

6637d61b9a715ZylonBane

6637d61b9a768
We're obviously not going to add this, because aside from who cares, the audio is low-quality and layered with sound effects from the Soldier's side.

6637d61b9a837sarge945

6637d61b9a892
Of course. I don't really care either way and was very skeptical that it would even be possible to add because of how wacky the sounds around it are.

I just hate when people are wrong on the internet.

6637d61b9a988ZylonBane

6637d61b9a9e8
You want to talk about being wrong, it's probably best not to think too hard about how the first real email you receive has Polito's voice reacting to the radar dish becoming unstable as it's happening. Neat trick for a pre-recorded message.

6637d61b9adadsarge945

6637d61b9ae0b
You want to talk about being wrong, it's probably best not to think too hard about how the first real email you receive has Polito's voice reacting to the radar dish becoming unstable as it's happening. Neat trick for a pre-recorded message.

Umm... Yes

Many of the emails in the game seem to be very wacky in terms of time dilation.

The "readings indicate the elevator shaft is clear" email seems to be in real time too, seeing as how you hear it within a second of the annelids screaming.

Same with the "damn, Xerxes has control of the elevator as well" as soon as you push the button.

I don't see how that makes me (or anyone else) wrong on the internet, though.

Most likely, since Sholito doesn't actually have to speak, she can likely generate a spoken email much quicker than it would take to actually speak the contents of it.

For all we know, the first email we receive was generated 10msec before we receive it, immediately after she detects the radar dish anomaly. That wouldn't explain the sudden tone shift from "I'm getting strange readings" to "move!" though, unless that was a ploy to stop us being suspicious.

Most likely, the developers didn't really think about the realism of email timings, they just linked them to tripwires and called it a day.

As much as people can talk about the realism of emails vs pa, at the end of the day this is a videogame and the realism of the world is going to take a back seat to the technical details of what's possible in the engine. I think it makes sense as an email, and I gave what I believe are good reasons why. You don't. That's fine.

6637d61b9af69qweqweqwe

6637d61b9afbc
Installed this mod.
Died from Protocol Droid while using Localized Pyrokinesis.
Uninstalled this mod.
Acknowledged by: ThiefsieFool

6637d61b9b05fvoodoo47

6637d61b9b0af
cheaters and exploiters will be shown no mercy.

6637d61b9b13eZylonBane

6637d61b9b19e
He should have tried wearing a thicker tracksuit.

6637d61b9b29bsarge945

6637d61b9b2ea
Imagine using one of the most overpowered skills in the game and then getting upset because it doesn't ALSO give you a completely free (and undocumented) psi-shield on top of it.

If you're really mad, you can install the Balance Revert mod.

6637d61b9b385voodoo47

6637d61b9b3dd
next time he'll be complaining about the pyro field not making the toilets scream anymore.

6637d61b9b68eDeu sex

SS2 Community Patch (SCP) Beta 5
6637d61b9b6e5
next time he'll be complaining about the pyro field not making the toilets scream anymore.

I need footage of this!

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

Trioptimum executive Edward ____ (Fill in the last name):
1 Guest is here.
Berrick McCrae loads fabric into a dying contraption at the Carolina Cotton Works facility.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6637d61b9b83c