6648eeb2257ea
1 Guest is here.

Topic: [Obsolete] SS2 Community Patch (SCP) Beta 4
Page: « 1 ... 9 [10] 11 12 »
Read 24129 times  

6648eeb2264afZylonBane

Re: SS2 Community Patch (SCP) Beta 5
6648eeb226530
LOL "Ah, there it is." I expressed a personal view that was different from yours, therefore it's a problem huh?
Not a problem, just yet another person who dislikes some aspect of a mod not because there's anything objectively wrong with it, but because we didn't do what you would have done. There's a big difference between "I would have done that differently", and "I would have done that differently, therefore what you did is bad." The latter attitude is so very painfully common in modding communities. So yeah, ah, there it is.

Also...
I also asked you if you knew why they walled it off. You declined to answer. I even asked what makes you think it belongs there (also no answer)
It was walled off because the area was unfinished. This was so obvious it didn't even need stating. And I already stated, I think it belongs there because that's where Irrational put it. I posted a screenshot and everything. Maybe you should pay a little more attention when reading.

6648eeb226792Eugene White

6648eeb2267e9
ZylonBane
:thinking:
I hope it's time to reveal when the b5 is going to be released :))

6648eeb226acbDeu sex

6648eeb226b37
voodoo47
"the layout doesn't make sense pretty much anywhere, the levels were not designed as parts of a ship, but as levels of a game."

And this is why System Shock 1 is a better game  ;) Among other things :p
But you are absolutely right, SS2 wasn't designed the same way as SS1 at all, trying to find logic in the environments is a waste of time, trying to find fun seems more valuable!

6648eeb226be6ZylonBane

6648eeb226c36
If you think SS1's layouts aren't even more mazey than SS2's, you're quite insane.
Acknowledged by 2 members: Chandlermaki, Join2

6648eeb226d6dvoodoo47

6648eeb226dbd
if you mean SS1 levels resemble a sane space station more than SS2 levels resemble a sane spaceship, then that'd be a no.

but lets face it, we are not here for the sanity. sanity isn't interesting. sanity isn't fun.
Acknowledged by: Join2

6648eeb2271dbRocketMan

6648eeb227230
SS1 was very mazy and the floor plan sought to fill the geometry and size of that particular floor first and foremost.  However they managed to logically divide the spaces up quite nicely most of the time with a few exceptions.  More to the point, it did feel more like a space station because LGS wanted to give you a greater sense of where you were through the use of VMails, constant backtracking to complete quests, floor themes and color schemes, using windows, stars and room geometry often to remind you exactly where you were, etc.  Evidence of this locational awareness even extended as far as cyberspace, where you could see inaccessible areas through the walls to give you a sense of relative location and continuity in the cyberspace domain. 

SS2 opted for more of a realistic floorplan that made more sense from a functional/architectural point of view but the levels were meant to stand on their own and contribute to a more linear, stage by stage plotline.  Therefore they didn't seem as concerned with harmonizing the levels with each other or even letting you see outside as much, which is why SS2 feels like more of a dungeon game.  SS2 gains its glory from its survival horror elements, more evolved player controls, better voice acting and story telling, richer musical scores, etc. but to be fair, it's like comparing tangerines and oranges, as SS1 and 2 are considerably different types of games that aren't really trying to compete with each other.

SS1 was the better game for so many other reasons as well but the level design contributes to it IMO.
« Last Edit: 13. May 2022, 16:18:34 by RocketMan »
Acknowledged by 2 members: RoSoDude, Deu sex

6648eeb227668Chandlermaki

6648eeb2276c0
voodoo47
"the layout doesn't make sense pretty much anywhere, the levels were not designed as parts of a ship, but as levels of a game."

And this is why System Shock 1 is a better game  ;)
You have this so backwards that it’s comical.
Acknowledged by 2 members: Join2, Maggot

6648eeb2277e6GuyFawkesGaming

6648eeb227843
I read the thing about the Shodan Email not playing in Ops and found it's fix script inside \misdml\. Can that particular section of script be copied into it's own ops2.mis.dml and placed in the SCP Beta 4 folder for compatibility?

6648eeb2278ebvoodoo47

6648eeb227938
yes. just don't forget the DML1 header. and the level has to be entered for the first time for the code to get applied.

6648eeb227b43GuyFawkesGaming

6648eeb227b96
voodoo47Cool! Thanks VooDoo. Do you have any other suggestions for script pieces from \misdml\, or even from the gamesys.dml in \patch_ext\, that may be useful in the main time while we're all waiting for Beta 5? Trying to get as many stop gap fixes as possible without having to go to the extreme of stealing ZB's harddrive. ;)

6648eeb227c55voodoo47

6648eeb227ca4
technically, you could rummage through the tool dml set and look for the latest fixes (end of each file), read the descriptions and yank the code if the fix is not in beta4 yet.

a tedious task, with very little gain.

6648eeb227f79GuyFawkesGaming

6648eeb227fca
voodoo47I hope you don't mind me asking but there are a few fixes that don't have any equivalency in SCP's documents and don't appear to do anything. I don't want to derail the this thread specifically for SCP fixes with my shenanigans, though I suppose you could just tear it off into it's own thread if need be.
Anyways, so far I've only done the earth map. The fixes in question are:
Code: [Select]
//doors need to be fixed so they will not z-fight with their niche when opened
//the opened doors need the visionblocker removed
//lightposts incorrect phystype
//flooring plants
// script duplication going on, never a good thing
// and give a tag to the barkeep
The second to last might be the "Lights 173 and 210 have duplicated BaseLight script" from the PDF manual but I just wanna make sure. There are also a few fixes for making each of the three bays have a "Bay 1", "Bay 2" etc. sign and making sure the humans don't use corpse models that SCP appears to include, cause it's not affected by these issues, but doesn't mention in it's documents.
Lastly, do the other resources inside \patch_ext\ load automatically since they're not fingerprinted like the dmls, or do I need to transfer them to the SCP folder to make them load?

6648eeb22809fvoodoo47

6648eeb2280ed
the short story - you don't want to be doing this.

the long story - you really, really, really don't want to be doing this. sometimes the tool fixes are SCP compatible, but more often than not, they aren't. consider that ops email an exception.

6648eeb228727sarge945

6648eeb22878c
yes, an extra Shodan mail exists that was supposed to play once the player completes all Ops quests and heads to the main elevator, but it never played because of an improperly set flag on the tripwire object. the tool fixes it on vanilla maps, but not on the SCP b4 maps.

I was digging through the game files yesterday (and listening to logs) as part of making my no keypad cheese mod, and I noticed there's an extra Polito email (EM202) where she outright explains how to find the 45100 log when escaping the hull breach at the start of the game. I don't think it's worth adding (even for new players who might be using SCP on their first playthrough) because most of what to do is already explained, and that part of the game is already constantly spamming logs and emails, but I thought it was very interesting, and it canonically confirms that he was a maintenance man. I wonder how many other logs there are that went unused. There's also EM0211 and a few others too.

I read the thing about the Shodan Email not playing in Ops and found it's fix script inside \misdml\. Can that particular section of script be copied into it's own ops2.mis.dml and placed in the SCP Beta 4 folder for compatibility?

I would love a link to this since b5 won't be out for at least another 6 years :P
« Last Edit: 12. July 2022, 12:24:39 by sarge945 »

6648eeb228876voodoo47

6648eeb2288cd
Code: [Select]
DML1

// the tripwires that are supposed to trigger the final ops Shodan mail don't have their flags set up correctly
+ObjProp 1094 "TripFlags" = "Enter, Player"
+ObjProp 1095 "TripFlags" = "Enter, Player"
+ObjProp 1096 "TripFlags" = "Enter, Player"
pop this into an ops2.mis.dml with no fingerprints, make sure it's in a modfolder (SCP root should work just fine), and enter ops2 for the first time to apply.

6648eeb228a26hemebond

6648eeb228a80
I'm wondering if the SCP team has seen and fixed this bug.

Swapping gun via the HUD, then changing ammo type without dropping the gun from the cursor, results in the gun being lost:

https://clips.twitch.tv/WimpyLongWatercressShadyLulu-5FlGgbPcuK8jP_td

6648eeb228b14ZylonBane

6648eeb228b61
Well that's new.

6648eeb228c34voodoo47

6648eeb228c82
so he took the gren launcher, popped it into the hand slot, and changed ammo while holding the AR, which killed it. lets see whether this can be replicated.

yes, yes it can. this is an engine bug, nothing we can do about it. lets hope our feathery friend still flies over these parts of the internet every once in a while.
Acknowledged by 3 members: JML, hemebond, Deu sex
6648eeb228dcd
Hello, any news about Beta 5 or this mod is considered complete now?

6648eeb228e90voodoo47

6648eeb228ede
hah. ask us that question in 10 years.

we are getting there - remember, this needs to be ready to go before SS2EE hits (as SS2EE will ship with beta5 bundled).
Acknowledged by: Deu sex
6648eeb228ff6
Apologize for the bumps out of nowhere, I just finished System Shock 1 Remake and wanted to "try out" the second game, when I came across this forum with unlimited methods to modify the game and as always, I try to get the most recent version of everything.

6648eeb22922fDeu sex

6648eeb229298
Pocok
are you trying to go for the authentic, closest to vanilla feel, or something a little bit more crazy?
6648eeb2293de
A more modern take of the game.

I've already downloaded quite a few mods, but haven't started the game yet.

« Last Edit: 07. June 2023, 18:23:52 by Pocok »

6648eeb22965dDeu sex

6648eeb229776
Pocok
Then I very highly recommend the Rebalanced Skills and Disciplines mod made by RoSoDude alongside plenty others (of course including SCP).
I can share you my modded build files? but I'm unsure if that would be considered as a "modpack" as some authors may disagree with sharing that sort of stuff due to version tracking and compatibility problems.
I guess I can share the link for you and then delete it or something? So it wouldn't count as a permanent modpack source of some sorts.
I'm still waiting for some updates here and there, and also I'd like to be sure it wouldn't count as a modpack first (people stop me :) you have let's say 3 days or something hehe).

EDIT: oh so you're a legit guy wanting to get the things by yourself, I commend that! lemme prepare a screenshot of the things :)

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic ____ of meat and bone!  (Fill in the missing word):
1 Guest is here.
"Did you think I'd forgotten you, insect?"
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6648eeb2298e1