1 Guest is here.

Topic: [Obsolete] SS2 Community Patch (SCP) Beta 2
Page: « 1 2 [3] 4 ... 9 »
Read 180639 times  

6647430a66671Deu sex

Re: SS2 Community Patch (SCP) Beta 2
6647430a666d6
Dangerous territory, my friend.

Why ? It's a key feature, and not everyone is adept to modding, that could help a lot of people.
But I don't want to upset anybody, I'm not aware of possible tensions that could exists.
6647430a668db
I think the 'dangerous territory' is because we got burned pretty badly by nightdive taking fan work and claiming credit. I could see it as a feature to put in SS2tool as part of getting ready for patching though. 'do you want subtitles in the original game y/n?'

6647430a66b33Deu sex

6647430a66b88
I think the 'dangerous territory' is because we got burned pretty badly by nightdive taking fan work and claiming credit. I could see it as a feature to put in SS2tool as part of getting ready for patching though. 'do you want subtitles in the original game y/n?'

Yea something like this would be great.
6647430a66d5c
If the people who do the work on the subtitles agree to it, then of course this could become part of SS2Tool.
Making it a part of the GOG/Steam download – while convenient no doubt – would be a different thing, because there's money being made with those distributions.

Of all the options I prefer the most when gamers have to visit the place where the original author posted their work. While a little more inconvenient this is the only option where they can give feedback, thanks and props to the authors, which is the least they deserve. And that way often spurns conversation, improvements and new mods. Which is what keeps a community alive.
6647430a6721e
Yeah I figured it out, the jump on quality is pretty impressive though.
And for the subtitles mod, I tried it and it's great, I'm going to follow the progress, you have no idea how many people wants to play this game but can't because they don't understand english ! So if it is possible to merge the subtitles mod and the other languages, that would mean something pretty big ! Actually that could event be integrated to the steam/gog version as an official patch.
You can get a German text translation here and other subtitles will be worked on as soon as ZB releases the English ones.

6647430a6733cvoodoo47

6647430a6738d
6647430a675b5
Cool, haven't been here the last few days.

6647430a678dfDeu sex

6647430a67931
If the people who do the work on the subtitles agree to it, then of course this could become part of SS2Tool.
Making it a part of the GOG/Steam download – while convenient no doubt – would be a different thing, because there's money being made with those distributions.

Of all the options I prefer the most when gamers have to visit the place where the original author posted their work. While a little more inconvenient this is the only option where they can give feedback, thanks and props to the authors, which is the least they deserve. And that way often spurns conversation, improvements and new mods. Which is what keeps a community alive.

Thanks a lot for this very intelligent and well constructed answer, (believe it or not but) a lot of people thinks modders keep their work safe and apart of the main game because they are selfish and unfriendly to newcomers/low experienced PC users, while this shows a very different approach to the subject. I didn't know how to reply to people arguing what I said earlier, now I can quote you ! (I'll give credit too :p)

Getting back on track, still on my big mod merge beta test, I change priorities here and there as I go, I think a screenshot to the final mod order would be welcomed, I'll share that ! (because it's pretty big actually)

And I encountered... I don't know if it's a bug, but the elevator music is missing, in adaob, it had that ss1 elevator music and it was cool ! Any idea if SCP is responible for this ? because when I disable it, the elevator music is back (but a different one from adaob, a simple loop)

6647430a67a2avoodoo47

6647430a67a85
yes, SCP disables the music, as it cannot be considered a fix. the capability to play it has been preserved, so it can be re-enabled (or replaced by some other clip) if required.

as for mod priorities, either go with the recommended setup on the guide, or just remember that SCP needs to have the lowest priority, fixed objects need to be lower than SHTUP-ND, and the rest of the eyecandy can go on top of that with pretty much no chance of major screwups (you will have to use common sense with odd combinations like Tacticool + Doom shotgun, giving the latter higher priority so it would show properly).

6647430a67d4dDeu sex

6647430a67d9d
yes, SCP disables the music, as it cannot be considered a fix. the capability to play it has been preserved, so it can be re-enabled (or replaced by some other clip) if required.

as for mod priorities, either go with the recommended setup on the guide, or just remember that SCP needs to have the lowest priority, fixed objects need to be lower than SHTUP-ND, and the rest of the eyecandy can go on top of that with pretty much no chance of major screwups (you will have to use common sense with odd combinations like Tacticool + Doom shotgun, giving the latter higher priority so it would show properly).

That's more or less what I ended up with indeed

By the way, I just found by accident screwing around the Duke Nukem 3D easter egg !! awesome ! :D

6647430a67e85
So, to clarify, that video in the OP is with just SCP? No additional graphics prettifying mods?
6647430a680f9
So, to clarify, that video in the OP is with just SCP? No additional graphics prettifying mods?

Watch again and pay attention at the end.

6647430a68215Shinobi2

6647430a68260
Hi guys. Two quick questions:

#1: Is this compatible with multiplayer? A friend and I are modding our games exactly the same for this purpose, and I just wanted to check SCP is compatible.

#2: I'm going to be playing this on a very old/slow laptop. I don't want graphical updates (not too many anyway) or high-res textures. What exactly does this mod include? Call me blind/stupid but I can't find a comprehensive written list.

Looks like great work so far from what I've seen, I shall be playing through this singleplayer regardless of the answer to #1. Thanks! :)
6647430a6852a
#1 Probably yes. But keep in mind that multiplayer is bugged in the original game and there is no improvement to it (as far as I know).

#2 In the first post there is a download to the readme pdf
graphical updates are mainly to improve bugged or glitchy components.
There are some updated/added particles and effects, but nothing that would make it unplayable on older hardware.

6647430a685c6Shinobi2

6647430a68610
Ignore my stupid question above. Just noticed the pdf. Still would like to know if this affects multiplayer, however.

6647430a686b4Shinobi2

6647430a686fc
Thanks for your reply. I've actually had some fairly good experiences with vanilla SS2 multiplayer. Yeah it's buggy but it's also great fun when you've done the game to death on your own :-)

6647430a68c57ZylonBane

6647430a68cae
And I encountered... I don't know if it's a bug, but the elevator music is missing
It's not "missing", because it was never in the original game. However, the music file to add it is included, if you'd bother reading the modding section of the documentation.

#1: Is this compatible with multiplayer? A friend and I are modding our games exactly the same for this purpose, and I just wanted to check SCP is compatible.
The only change SCP makes to multiplayer is that it cleans up the positions of some of the spawn points.

6647430a68d77voodoo47

6647430a68dc4
actually there are at least two multiplayer specific fixes in beta2 - medbed toxin heal now works properly (was not in beta1), and muzzle flashes are no longer bugging out when viewing another player (orig bug).

6647430a6901cDeu sex

6647430a6906f
It's not "missing", because it was never in the original game. However, the music file to add it is included, if you'd bother reading the modding section of the documentation.

Yea I found it, always though it was part of the original game, it fits so well ^^

6647430a691a4Shinobi

6647430a691f1
Wow! I'm having some great fun playing this on my old laptop which, last time I tried, would not run SS2 using D3D 9. I'm currently running with all the Newbie Mods and a few others, at 1366x768 on an ancient, terrible laptop with an old mobile 4 series express chipset... I swear SCP has somehow INCREASED my framerate (seriously, I know it makes no sense). Or perhaps it was something the latest SS2Tool did... whatever but I'm having a lot of nostalgic fun at the moment, with less irritating bugs.

Congrats all!! And thank you, of course.

PS: Multiplayer works fine and dandy.
PPS: Loving the minor changes so far. Not read the spoilerific list as I want to see how good my memory is lol.

6647430a69284ZylonBane

6647430a692cd
I'm slightly surprised nobody has commented on the upgraded plumbing yet.

6647430a6936eYankee Clipper

6647430a693b7
I was initially intrigued, but I lost interest when I didn't get the Duke Nukem style bump to my health. It just took all the thrill out of urinating.

6647430a69440voodoo47

6647430a694ba
one Duke reference is plenty, I think.

6647430a69547ZylonBane

6647430a69590
Or Fallout 3 reference.
1 Guest is here.
Summers used to last longer
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP