🔒 ✅ Windows 7 64-bit SS2 not running after first run

1 Guest is here.
Page: 1/3▶▶
66495e33ccd4c
JTD121Quote
Hey all,

Newbie to the whole System Shock universe. Bought the GOG version, installed it, and played for a bit. I saved, exited out, and now cannot get it to run again.

Specs of possible relevance; I am running Windows 7 64-bit, on a Core 2 Duo @2GHz, with 4GB RAM. Video is provided by an ATi Radeon X2300 128MB (really an X1300 in a mobile package), running the latest Mobility Modded drivers (I believe they are 10.2).

I've uninstalled, reinstalled, tried with and without SS2Tool 5.0, tried running Shock2.exe, and GOGs' start.exe with and without admin rights, with and without Compatability modes for Win98, XP SP3. Attempted to get both Rundll32.exe and Shock2.exe to use just Core 0 via Task Manager. I've even waited about a minute before killing said processes.

Ah, and this is without mods. I did try to add the SHTUP mod, after saving and exiting out that first time. No dice.

Any questions or ideas, please feel free!
66495e33cd0e5
OlfredQuote
When you tried to run the game again, did you always loaded your last savegame, or did you also try a new game?

Maybe you had bad luck and your savegame is corrupted.
66495e33cd241
JTD121Quote
Well, when it didn't load up that second time, I moved the save_0 folder onto my desktop for safe-keeping; I didn't get ridiculously far, if that makes a difference. I reinstalled without moving the folder back, and still nothing. Tried putting it in, nothing.

I read somewhere that having spaces in the folder name screws something up, so I looked and saw it was installing to D:\GAMES\System Shock 2, I changed this to System_Shock_2 just to check, and still nothing.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled at least 7 times, restarted my machine a couple times...I'm thinking of just giving up for a while and maybe revisit again later. I mean, I've only been not playing and enjoying the game since 1999, so......*shrugs* Being a pro at troubleshooting, and SS2 stumps me for some reason :(
66495e33cd39e
KolyaQuote
What exactly happens when you try to start the game?
Did you reboot at some point?
66495e33cd4f2
JTD121Quote
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?wap2;topic=4617.msg53023#msg53023

So far, all that happens is I Have a mouse cursor with the little Win7 spinner for about 6 seconds, and nothing visually happens. Task Manager, though, has the rundll32.exe running at 50-75% CPU usage, and Shock2.exe is in there, doing nothing as well.

My fan begins to spin up to ear-piercing levels (always bad in a laptop), I flip on my cooler, and then end the rundll32.exe process.
Page: 1/3▶▶

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact