SS2 Vurt's Water

1 Guest is here.
6646d662357bb
ZylonBaneQuote
Don't reinstall just yet. Setting the animation rate for water does work. Post the MTL file you're using here, and/or try putting some other commands in it to verify that it's actually controlling the texture.

Don't forget that the material system allows multiple texture passes. So you can increase randomness by layering two texture sequences with a different frame count. But with that sort of thing comes the need to be aware of how much VRAM your animation is chewing up.
6646d66235ac3
vurtQuote
Do you have an example of how a layered .mtl file would look? That would be very interesting to try for sure, can i use 2 different textures also you mean?

I've tried every possible combination for water.. right now i have this in blin.mtl:

force_ani_settings 1
terrain_scale 256
ani_rate 255

255 was just to test and it's as smooth as ever. scale works without problems, also ani_rate works for the goo but for the water i've never gotten it to work, not on this new install and not on the previous.. maybe i'm missing something, i didnt install that ss2tool v4.4 or whatever its called again.
6646d66235dd7
blaydes99Quote
You aren't still using DDfix by any chance are you? At any rate, I hope you can figure it out. I'd like to see this water as you intended it.

Note from /doc/material-format.txt (not really for you vurt but some important info for all modders):
ani_rate <int>
--------------

Animation rate, specified as milliseconds per frame, for animated textures. Default is 250.
    The "Texture Anim Data" property in DromEd overrides any material setting, unless "force_ani_settings" is
    set. If the texture isn't animated the parameter is ignored. This parameter only has an effect on objects
    where "Texture Anim Data" would also have an effect.

Ex:
        ani_rate 33

There's then a whole bunch of sweet goodness in the render_pass { ... } section (covers all render passes, etc.)
6646d66235eef
vurtQuote
You were absolutely right, it does work.. i reinstalled and did everything by the book including drag/drop the sshock folder and then SS2tool v.4.4, now it works. Yes 60 actually does improve it even slightly from how it looked before :) Nice. I'll update the mod with the new settings.

Just checked Thief 2, it's the same thing there, at ani_rate 255 it's still very smooth.. doh.. guess i'll have to reinstall it too. Very odd, it's also a fresh install.

6646d66235f8f
blaydes99Quote
Awesome! ...and even better, you LIKE my animation setting?!? Tee hee hee...

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact