66354cf820c62

66354cf82120d
2 Guests are here.

Topic: SS2 Community Patch (SCP) Beta 5
Page: « 1 [2]
Read 330110 times  

66354cf8218ed
Wow! This is fantastic news, thanks so much to everyone involved (both with SCP and the compatible mods). I'm looking forwards to personally finding the differences/improvements over SCP beta 4 (which was already brilliant, of course).
66354cf8220e0
So there's a line in the Beta 5 readme:This could probably do with some explanation.[...]
Doesn't that mean that all QA and balancing was done with this bug in mind?
If I understand correctly, the ecology always spawns a timer in its constructor regardless of the population limit, and the constructor is always called on loading a level. While this hurts save scummers most, it also guarantees starting a spawn timer when traversing levels. So the population would always quickly increase when traversing levels, which is most important during backtracking.

I think that's a rather natural way of doing respawning without going overboard. Fixing the bug might automatically neuter the respawning to such a degree that it becomes meaningless, which is definitely not wanted, at least not on higher difficulties. Have you thought of a way to fix the bug while keeping the difficulty intact - in a way that makes sense?

66354cf822202ZylonBane

66354cf822254
You might want to re-read the italicized part of my explanation.

66354cf8224ceNeilHoward17

66354cf822538
Just finished a SCP 5 playthrough, was brilliant, a standard mods should be measured against, you deserve all the praise. :)

66354cf8228d0ZylonBane

66354cf822927
Fun fact: The Hydro deck air recirculators were supposed to have their own unique ambient sound. There's a schema for it and everything:
Quote by amb_hyd.sch:
schema air_recirc_lp
archetype AMB_HYDRO
volume -500
mono_loop 0 0
recirclp
But the audio file for it, recirclp.wav, is missing from the CRFs.

66354cf822c0fsarge945

66354cf822c62
When inserting the toxin a, we can hear a sound of it sucking air in before screams are heard,

I'm assuming here (and it's a big assumption) that there was originally that sound without the screams on repeat. So it would suck in air constantly and when you add the toxin A it does it's usual routine and the many don't like it.

Based on that wild speculation, it would also make sense for them to remove it at the last second because it was probably quite annoying.

I have absolutely nothing to base any of this on, though.

66354cf822d81ZylonBane

66354cf822dd3
Unlikely that they would have outright deleted the sound, since SND.CRF is full of unused sounds. Also unlikely that the sound was annoying, because SS2's sound design is awesome.

66354cf82317atiphares4

66354cf8231cf
I dont want to spam or get on the nerves, but i want to throw 2 cents in   :)

I'm assuming here (and it's a big assumption) that there was originally that sound without the screams on repeat. So it would suck in air constantly

I think this is right assumption

So it would be possible to reconstruct that missing soundfile by extracting that hissing air sound minus the screams   :)

It would make so much sense, since those enviromental-air-regulator-units seem to be operational before inserting vials - also gameplay-wise it would be easier for players to spot them when getting in vicinity + more atmosphere in true sense of word   :3

It would be gameplay enrichment by making use of ss2's wonderful audio aspects for not only spotting enemies.

i've noticed you can blow up the toilets now..   oO'                             💕
« Last Edit: 11. January 2024, 07:06:21 by tiphares4 »
66354cf823345
SCP is definitely one of the best fan-made mods ever made, and really does turn this already classic and unique but sometimes rough game into a much more polished and enjoyable experience. Thanks, ZB, and everyone else involved.

Have any of SS2's developers ever commented on SCP? Have they ever discussed the things that they intended to include in the game but where instead forced to abandon due to lack of time or system resources? Did they ever say what they wish they had done differently? For such a complicated game, I would expect that there were some interesting ideas for the game that had to be abandoned or significantly changed to get the game finished and out the door.
Acknowledged by: tiphares4
66354cf823492
Looks like the unpowered armor defense has been reduced to +10 instead of +20, and localized pyrokinesis negates protocol explosion damage again? Didn't see either of these listed in the patch notes but I appreciate the changes.

66354cf823695ZylonBane

66354cf8236e6
localized pyrokinesis negates protocol explosion damage again?
Of course not. That would be silly.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

System Shock takes place on a space station named ...:
2 Guests are here.
This is when tubgirl showed up.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66354cf8237f3