6634f7ab54dc4

6634f7ab554fb
2 Guests are here.

Topic: The lost history of System Shock
Page: « 1 [2]
Read 18826 times  

6634f7ab55ccavoodoo47

6634f7ab55d44
interesting - that should, in theory, allow modders to recreate the game (using some new engine, just like the rebooted team attempted to), as long as there is no mention of "system shock" (that would be no problem, the mod can be named "salt the fries" for all I care). until now, I was under the impression that they have every single object/item/logo protected, from Silky the worm to Bananas the monkey.

btw, the search links are already expired.

6634f7ab55e4cOmegaDeath

6634f7ab55ea1
You could call it shock 3 and get away with it.
(Metropolis 1927) "origin of shodan character"
A friend recently heard me say shodan and popped a dvd in his pc.
There we sat watching this old movie when i replied why are we watching this?
How naive i was...

6634f7ab55f52OmegaDeath

6634f7ab55fa8
Actually if you think about it.
The origin of many movies and games "bio shock, equilibrium"

6634f7ab5606askullkan6

6634f7ab560b6
The truth of System Shock 2's legal situation, and the fact that no one has been able to unravel this legal ball of twine to get the diamond hiding inside is enough to make me cry myself to sleep. :(
6634f7ab561cf
I'd like irrational to initiate a big deal of buying all the rights of System Shock trademarks, IPs, titles, t-shirts, caps etc. Official sponsor of this deal will be kickstarter (see Grim Dawn history for details). What do you think?

6634f7ab56541Rainalkar

6634f7ab565a5
I sent an email to Irrational proposing this 2 days ago.  :) 

6634f7ab567a0Nonny Mouse

6634f7ab5684e
Maybe a community-based letter would get a response?

6634f7ab5690fShocker

6634f7ab5697a
I second! 1000 name petition! woot!
6634f7ab56e9b
KICKSTARTER!!!! Create a kickstarter and raise the funds, I have faith that people would help the cause! System Shock and System Shock 2 are the greatest games ever produced, great story, dialogue, action, etc. WE WANT SS3!!!

6634f7ab57b41unn_atropos

6634f7ab57ba6
°history

A scan from the german game magazine GameStar again. Issue 8/2000, page 50, 52, 54.
"Scherbenhaufen" Shattered Glas. The Decline of Looking Glass.

The Decline of Looking Glass
Shattered Glas
Just as Dark Project 2 [Thief] climbed up in the charts the vultures are hovering over Looking Glass
GameStar analyzes why one of the best developement studios had to close down.

If the world was a place of justice, all games of Looking Glass would get sales up in the millions and their programers would drive Ferraris. But in the real world, the noble designers have to write applications: When a planned takeover by Eidos failed, management finally pulled the plug on march 23th 2000. There was just no more money for office costs and the salaries of roundabout 70 employess, Looking glass was bust.
But wait a minute, that can't be right. System Shock 2 was one of the most loudest cheered games of 1999.
Dark Project 2 [Thief 2] has just sneaked up into the GameStar charts with a rating of 86. So why go the lights out at Looking Glass of all places, while schlunz-producers can survive?

Terra tragedy
The beginning of the end were two major flops in the season 1996/97, from which Looking Glass never recovered.
Programmer Marc LeBlanc said it in a open letter to the fans: "Remember Terra Nova and British Open Gold? They almost killed us". The tactical 3-D action game Terra Nova and the golf simulation British Open caused high developement costs, but sold miserable. Looking Glass self-published the million eaters and therefore had to bear the full financial risk all alone.
In order to survive after this double-flop, the branch in Austin was closed. A large part of the affected employees (among them Warren Spector) found shelter at Ion Storm to start work on Deus Ex there.
This staff reducement put the next game called Dark Project [Thief] in danger, that was released at the end of 1998 after some shifts in the release date- and saved Looking Glass from bankruptcy for now. But that was just a drop in the bucket.
System Shock 2, though euphorically praised by trade press, couln't get in its developement costs, Flight Unlimited proved as a flop, too.

Bursted projects
As a carrier of hope, the 1999 spy game Deep Cover was concepted, almost like some kind of Dark Project [Thief] in a modern scenario. The program was supposed to be made in cooperation with Irrational Games (System Shock 2).
But Looking Glass struggled to find a publisher for this game. When after almost a year a potenial publisher was found (rumour has it that it was Microsoft) who was willing to finance developement, Irrational Games had committed to do a Playstation-2 game called The Lost. Head of design for Dark Project [Thief] Tim Stellmach remembers the precarious situation: "When Irrational Games pulled out of the Deep Cover project, the publisher pulled out as well, together with a lot of calculated advances. This put Looking Glass into a very bad position concerning liquidity."
The tailspined Attack Squad by Jane's proved to be another nail in the coffin. More then two years a team at Looking Glass worked on the military flight simulation originally named Fligh Combat as a working title. Electronic Arts got in as a publisher, but after some delays, changes in design and the overall decline of the simluation market, the game crashed.

Alone at the altar
After so much flops, pitchs and spans, a takeover by Eidos was the the last straw for Looking Glass.
But negotiations entered the critical phase in a unfavorable point in time. Various Problems, from the generally cooling down PC market to the black money hole Ion Storm had emptied Eidos petty cash. Tim Stellmach: Because of financial problems eidos considered itsekf incapable to finish the deal. The bride Looking Glass was left alone at the altar, as they say in Business Jargon."
The decline of such an renowned developement studio is a shame for the whole industry. With Ultima Underworld or the Dark Project titles Looking Glass had proven, that challenging game content and good sales figures don't have to exclude each other. But eventually the company fell victim to its own mistakes. Rob Fermier, programmer of System Shock 2, meanwhile working at Ensemble Studios (Age of Empires) expressed himself critically: "I think, that we nailed the gameplay- and production quality elements pretty well at Looking Glass. But it had to take Dark Project [Thief] to get us a grasp of accessibility. And in our most dramatic cases, Terra Nova and British Open Champion Golf, a 1000% absence of marketing hacked the games down."

Gaming legacy
The Fate of the Dark Project-series is not not sealed. Interested companies can buy the naming rights from the bankrupt's estate- a step that's worth considering for Eidos for sure. But Eidos has goten into financial stumbling and is looking for a buyer. The future of System Shock and Ultima Underworld however is in the hands of Eelectronic Arts. Considering the rampant evaporation disease that is going on there, the outlook for sequels is eminently gloomy. weak consolation for the mourning fan community: the legacy of Looking Glass is living on at other company, as Warren Spector's newest caper Deus Ex proves. Other looking Glass veterans are looking for work- Inerested employer can read the resume of programmer Marc LeBlanc on his homepage http://world.std.com/*mahk/resume.html. And on ttlg.com you can find daily updated news about the company and its former employees.
« Last Edit: 12. October 2014, 13:27:19 by unn_atropos »

6634f7ab5800cinfrabaron

6634f7ab58053
KICKSTARTER!!!! Create a kickstarter and raise the funds, I have faith that people would help the cause! System Shock and System Shock 2 are the greatest games ever produced, great story, dialogue, action, etc. WE WANT SS3!!!

why aim low.  why not ask for ss5 first.  this way we will at least get an expansion pack to ss4.  what a great kickstarte.r
i built myself three new center of gravity with my kickstarter now everything is heavir and sliperry
my kickstarer helped me lose two limbs in just ten ponds
try kiskariter today...and save big....on your next....on your next....sigh
kikcstarer revelad the mysterie of the cosmos to me an i was disgusted hooray!!!
kickstarer....i keep it in my pocket always as a souvenir of when times were better when no one is looking then i have a nibble but that is life in depression era holywood for you...laughs unihibitedly trickel of blood from corner of left ear
6634f7ab582b4
Well, I suppose I've finally understood the idea. It's just business.
In early 2000's, when Irrational had to decide what to do, they analyzed the situation and decided not to create another SS game but to create a new title with similar ideas. Why did they do that? Ok, suppose we are irrational and we want to create new SS game. But EA owns the title and it doesn't want to sell it to anyone. The only way to use the title is to share future profits with EA. But is it a good idea? All people want to be paid of their work and their ideas, and if they save the title they will lose half of their salary and what is more important - depend from EA authority in some key questions. So what would you choose in this situation? Begin this hard annoying cooperation with EA and lose half of profits or just create a similar title and be totally independent? I would choose the first, I think, as Irrational did.
So until EA owns the title and doesn't sell it, noone from irrational won't even think about Shock. It's just too unprofitable.

6634f7ab58410ludogator

6634f7ab58477
I believe, that if we consider gaining the rights, and making a game, we should start from another side. First someone needs to contact EA and somehow the other company, to make sure, both would sell the rights if we came to them with enough amount of cash.

Then the kickstarter project could be started with a goal of the money needed for the laws.

Until the rights aren't in our hands, no one, even Irrational won't bother speaking about the game. They have other things to do, and we don't have anything to prove we are serious...
6634f7ab58791
Now when shock lives again:

George Borkowski, a lawyer for Star and Meadowbrook, and a partner at Freeman, Freeman & Smiley LLP, made it seem simpler. In an e-mail, he claimed that Star owns all the rights to System Shock 2, including the trademark, and that EA’s rights reverted back to Looking Glass years ago.

“Star Insurance Company is open to the idea of developing a sequel to System Shock 2,” Borkowski said in an e-mail.

Read more: http://techland.time.com/2013/02/13/13-years-later-system-shock-2-lives-again/#ixzz2KvDCmxID

So all this rumors about EA copyrights we had been talking about for years now seem to be nonsense. Right?
But I can't understand - if they knew about their IP, why couldn't they tell about it to the community? This is unfair I think.

6634f7ab589f2Briareos H

6634f7ab58a5f
Interesting. I was suspecting that Star Insurance would claim full ownership, as we didn't hear a single thing from or about EA in the recent days. I suppose this GOG release was a fantastic opportunity for them to enforce an owned but unused trademark while screaming "try us" at EA. Which would also explain the situation with System Shock 1, for which all assets belonged to Origin ie. EA. It is possible that a confrontational release of SS2 would kill the chance to ever see SS1 on GOG. Someone, in all that mess, must know.
2 Guests are here.
Er würde dann das Schicksal seines Zwillings Spirit teilen, dessen Systeme 2010 in einem kalten Marswinter schier erfroren sind.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6634f7ab58b91