🔒 How To Guide: Install/Setup with NewDark and Mods

1 Guest is here.
Page: 1/3▶▶
664a0233ca8af
RocketManQuote
I wrote a Hubpages hub to explain how to install and setup System Shock 2, considering all the mods we have and all the fixes that now exist.

The article is split up in such a way that depending on what sort of a play experience you're looking for, you can have a more conservative play experience or a more pimped out one.  Just follow the instructions.

Note: Because mods are often highly subjective, I had to make a judgement call on how to split the mods up so you may disagree with my choices and that's okay.  The idea is that if you need advice and have no frame of reference, I provide you with one.  If you feel capable enough, feel free to make some substitutions.

Let me know what you think.

http://chriscamaro.hubpages.com/_1ygfluvwha7hg/hub/How-to-get-the-most-out-of-System-Shock-2-Installation-Mods-and-Setup

Depending on feedback and any future changes, I'm willing to revise as necessary.
664a0233caaba
KolyaQuote
That's rather long and complicated, with occasional hardcore ideology (like suggesting you needed to play SS1 first and the "Setup #1" option) and it's severely lacking any links on the listed mods.
You're advising users to place SS2Tool inside the shock folder, which is a common misconception. SS2Tool can be located anywhere. But it needs to be pointed at the shock folder during installation.
664a0233cad58
RocketManQuote
Regarding the links, I'd have loved to link every mod but Hubpages is kinda anal about that and I've had a page removed on the basis that it was "substandard" because of the number of OBLs I had.

It's true the article does have kind of an edge to it but then I'm not pretending that this is supposed to be the bible of how to guides or anything.  It's supposed to be more inline with the writing style I used for the rest of my hubs which is a bit tongue and cheek.  It's all in good fun though as I fully understand users each have their own preference and I have no authority to tell them how to play.

Re: SSTool, thanks for pointing out the flaw.  I'll fix it right away.  I should have known that... in fact I did know that but it didn't occur to me when composing the article.

Not sure what to do about the length and complexity.  I always fall into that trap because I tend to want to describe the crap out of something so there's no confusion but in the process I make it more confusing... and I leave out other stuff.  I'll go over it in the coming days and see what I can do to improve readability.  It may have been premature to post here but I've always gotten good advice from this forum in the past so I thought it would be for the best and of course this only augments, not replaces any content on SMA, which is likely more targeted anyway.
664a0233caeb4
KolyaQuote
You know, that makes me think: Since so many people place SS2Tool in the shock folder, it might make sense in SS2Tool to suggest the program's current location as the default installation folder. Sort of making a virtue out of it and saving the time for browsing to the shock folder. :)
Well, I'll have to think about it and test some. Either way, it will always work from any location.
664a0233cafbf
RocketManQuote
Cool.  It's fixed now so I'll just keep my ear to the ground and make changes as necessary.  I may have an idea that will let me get around the link problem.  I found a site that can consolidate multiple URLs into 1.  That could work.
Page: 1/3▶▶

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact