663a387742da5

663a3877433f7
1 Guest is here.

Topic: Fitting all the best mods together Read 1603 times  

663a38774397aUltimate SS2?

663a3877439e9
Ok, I've been busy downloading a lot of mods and I have looked at the list that tells you the order to install most of them. The thing is, though, that while I have modded SS2 before and gotten a very fun game I have always had to disable some mods that I really wanted to have and have, since then, lost track of several awesome ones. What I really want to do is put together all the best graphics mods for my game and add in all the best functionality mods - including permanent ejected bullet casings and this mod I found a long time ago that allows you to repair turrets you have destroyed by resembling them - and plenty of other cool things.

The snag is that I have lost that really cool mod and I remember it conflicted with another mod and prevented the security panels working.  Has anyone any suggestions on where this experience-upgrade mod might be found and what order I might install it to get the best effect?

663a387743bccvoodoo47

663a387743c1b
graphics upgrade mods mentioned here are all compatible with each other, and if you want repairable turrets that would mean Secmod (not compatible with ADaoB or other gamesys mods)

663a387743cffBlacksky

663a387743d65
Aww, coool. That's just what I wanted! :) Is there anything else I might consider having? I've already pillaged pretty much all the graphics upgrades, I think, but are there any expansion mods that make the maps bigger or do more stuff like secmod does?

Man, this mod order stuff is pretty complex, I think someone ought to just get all the best gameplay mods and merge them together so that there is one big conflict-free package newbies can download. Would make modding a lot easier too, I think.
663a38774414d
Please consider this old Chinese Koan:

A young man who had just left home to travel the world came into a big city. He entered a tavern but - having never had alcohol before - he didn't quite know what to order. He had heard of course that drinking was a lot of fun. So he called for the barkeeper and asked him:
"Barkeeper, what is the best drink you have?"
The barkeeper smiled and said: "Well Sir, we have a lot of drinks that are all very good."
The young man said: "Then I'll have ALL of your good drinks."
The barkeeper smiled again and served the young man his first drink. When he had finished it, the barkeeper came back and asked: "So how did you like it, Sir?"
The young man said: "It was good and I feel great. Now bring me the other good drinks you have."
The barkeeper soon came back with another drink. But the young man shook his head. "No no, this way I will be here all day. Bring me ALL of your good drinks AT ONCE."
But the barkeeper answered: "With all due respect Sir, we don't do it this way here."
The young man grew annoyed, but he had an idea: "Why don't you just fill all the best liquors you have into one big bottle and be done with it? Are you just trying to make my life hard for me?"
"That's really not the reason, Sir." said the barkeeper.
"I don't believe you." said the young man, who had become furious. "I think you're just making yourself more important than you really are, by serving all these various drinks. They mix in my tummy anyway! So if you actually cared about your customers you would just make that one big bottle and make it well. But then you'd be out of your job. Ain't that so?!"

At this point the barkeeper took the drunk young man by his coattail and threw him out of the tavern. Outside he pointed down the road.
"There's another tavern in this direction." the barkeeper said. "Every other night or so they come around our tavern and take our drinks. Then they fill it all into one big bottle. They serve what you want. Of course it's not very fresh and therefore I do not recommend you drink there. But if you do and grow ill, then don't come back to us to complain."
And with that the barkeeper slammed the tavern door shut behind him.

When he came back into the tavern the regular guests were still sitting around a table in the back, inventing a new drink. One of them raised his head and asked the barkeeper what the ruckus had been about.
"Just a young man with a grand idea." the barkeeper said grimly.
"Did he propose we mix all the good drinks together?" the regulars asked and started laughing. The barkeeper nodded and went back to business.

663a387744265Blacksky

663a3877442b5
So, are you saying I should only play with one mod enabled at a time, or that I should be forced to juggle standard mods that may or may not add conflicts that I may or may not force me to re-mod and restart the game after a significant amount of time playing? If there is a recommended mod list, why not just combine the major graphics updates into one version and have a second version that modifies much more stuff? I'm not talking about major gameplay changes or moving items, just a combined fixpack. Since graphics mods don't tend to conflict unless both change the same thing you can just swap stuff about if you prefer a different version.

663a3877443aaakumaKAERU

663a3877443fe
I think you've answered your own question here Blacksky.

Kolya put it best and voodoo47's post is very useful.

Yes, having one mod to rule them all would be great and easy, but there are so many variations between them. Let's also not forget that each mod is moderated by different people.

To use Koyla's analogy: Sip each drink and see how you like them, then mix your own cocktail to suit your tastes.

663a387744539bluemess

663a387744594
For someone who is about to play SS2 for the first time, installing mods might be confusing itself, not to mention how difficult it is to choose right mods set. As it was explained repeatedly why it's not possible to give ultimate mods list, it's also impossible for newbie to choose right mods by himself, if he just wants all the best stuff that was made over the years and go into playing the game, without digging into modding too much. Kolya's Newbie Modding Guide helped to start, and when I was greedy to have it all, RocketMan's Guide turned out to be very useful, as he dared to recommend wider range of mods. I trusted his judgment and installed most of the mods he mentions and I was happy with that choice.

663a38774462fakumaKAERU

663a387744678
Perhaps we just need more stickies? I can see the stickies that newbies need in the Helpdesk forum.
663a387744820
Your blessed with good eyesight then. Many newbies don't seem to be able to see them.

As for the megamod discussion:
From a technical point it's not necessary, as most mods can be combined, save for gamesys mods.
From a judging point it would always be unfair to the mod authors whose mods were left out.
From a practical viewpoint no one wants to maintain a megamod.
From a subjective point everyone's selection of what should go into a megamod is different.
From a personal relation point this would further remove the mod users from the mod authors and establish a service mentality, lessening the chances for valuable feedback on specific mods.
From a progressive viewpoint a megamod aims at conclusion instead of development.

We could have created a megamod years ago and called it a day. We wouldn't have needed this website, just a torrent. But then we wouldn't be where we are today. Therefore the rule on megamods is this: Unless two or more mod authors decide to merge their mods, we won't serve or promote megamods here.
I'm aware that this means newbies will have to do some reading if they want their games modded past the newbie guide. This is intentional. We want you to get involved, to give feedback, to discuss and share your ideas and possibly make your own mod, because we want to continue as a community. Megamods are adverse to that goal. While they are very convenient, they support a passive consumerist attitude.

663a387744923akumaKAERU

663a387744979
Thanks Koyla!

I understand that newbies get all excited and then start going about looking for and installing a mod, then get a bit bored (or frustrated) when they realise they have to do some digging.

This is intentional. We want you to get involved, to give feedback, to discuss and share your ideas and possibly make your own mod, because we want to continue as a community.

Can you put this comment as a sticky on ALL threads? I think this mindset needs to be established and reiterated at every turn so nobody misses the point to this forum.
1 Guest is here.
Like a game of pick-up sticks played by fucking lunatics
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
663a387744a67