6633a4ccc6d73
2 Guests are here.

Topic: System Shock Infinite 2.0 looking for playtesters
Page: « 1 [2] 3 ... 5 »
Read 12234 times  

6633a4ccc7475voodoo47

Re: System Shock Infinite 2.0 needs playtesters
6633a4ccc74e1
ah, if all your maps have different names, then it's all right. no need to add the var.

6633a4ccc78e7Vegoraptor

6633a4ccc7963
enjoy your peanut butter and brick sandwich.
Why thank you. Seriously though, I don't really understand the hatered towards SHMUP. True, health bar and ammometer would be cybernetic projections and the style doesn't really fit those. The inventory itself is a different story imo, since I'm pretty sure the whatever-container-it-is would be covered in hybrid viscera and corrosive worm fluids in a matter of minutes. Thus, I only use the new inventory textures, with the other parts of the HUD staying the way they are.

Now, for why I'm actually here: Good work on the cyberspace, flying works well once you figure out that you can actually fly. But is the skybox really supposed to be space? Maybe something like a neon grid or simple black would work better.
The first tear is nice too but the effect of your choice is rather confusing, I guess that is intended though. Nice work up to this point!
6633a4ccc7d4a
But is the skybox really supposed to be space? Maybe something like a neon grid or simple black would work better.

It's still cyberspace, I just liked the effect that the level was disintegrating. Sometimes the void is white or red, too. I tried with a grid skybox in the beginning, but it didn't work very well.

The first tear awards a crystal shard with Korenchkin, and 15 modules with Shephard: they all work the same, so the mystery doesn't last for long. Were you able to explore the first Cyberspace fully? Originally, the time limit was half the duration of the current one! You'll see the second one lasts longer too.

6633a4ccc7e6dVegoraptor

6633a4ccc7eca
Yup, there was plenty of time to collect everything.
The "confusing effect" of the tear was due to Shephard and the others being aggressive. Do I look like a Cyborg or what?! Well, technically I am one, so it does make sense when you think about it.
6633a4ccc7ff4
Yes, Lt. Shephard's path is all about that. You can also unlock the first special ending in MedSci1, after using any tear: there's a door that can be destroyed with explosives, in front of the room with 2 security boxes.
6633a4ccc815d
I updated the beta patch, with a fix for Rebirth and a tutorial message in Cyberspace should Shodan ever give you the boot.

I also had this video laying around from a playtest, it shows the effects of a tear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjeH8K7XWuI
6633a4ccc82f3
Please, I need someone to perform a specific test. I updated the patch to contain 2 optional fixes, that turn the dialogue HUD into 4:3 and into 16:10.  However I can't test the 16:10 one myself, and someone else should give it a try. :(

Without those fixes, the character portraits only work in 16:9. Link to the updated patch: https://db.tt/kaCd3s5q

6633a4ccc8421Vegoraptor

6633a4ccc8472
It works for 16:10. For the most part, that is, since the custom overlays (i.e. Codec and also the Timemeter for cyberspace) now glitch out slightly, zipping upwards on random occasions. While the Codec moves back where it belongs after a few miliseconds, the meter sometimes seems to get stuck.

On a different note, I guess the random hissing problem Chandlermaki mentioned and I also experienced is caused by Shmup. It also seems that if you restart the game and load into cyberspace/tears, the game crashes after ~3 min of dubstep hissing. Again, only with Shmup active.

6633a4ccc8783voodoo47

6633a4ccc87eb
I can't test the 16:10 one myself, and someone else should give it a try. :(
yes you can. just run the game in windowed mode (force_windowed) and select a resolution smaller than the desktop. sure, it ain't fullscreen, but you can test any aspect ratio to make sure stuff works. in case you don't find a resolution smaller than the desktop that has the desired aspect ratio, one can be added* with the user_mode stuff.

*being windowed mode, you can make up any imaginary pseudo-resolution. need 16:10? sure, add 1024x640 res for example. want to try cinematic 2.35 on your 1920 display, no problem, add 1920x820.
6633a4ccc8da3
Thanks voodoo, another problem solved!

It works for 16:10. For the most part, that is, since the custom overlays (i.e. Codec and also the Timemeter for cyberspace) now glitch out slightly, zipping upwards on random occasions. While the Codec moves back where it belongs after a few miliseconds, the meter sometimes seems to get stuck.

Yeah, Codec and Cyberlink can be jumpy. :( Especially at the beginning of Engineering, that's a known bug. What do you think, is the effect bearable elsewhere? Do they add character to the npcs, when they speak?

On a different note, I guess the random hissing problem Chandlermaki mentioned and I also experienced is caused by Shmup. It also seems that if you restart the game and load into cyberspace/tears, the game crashes after ~3 min of dubstep hissing. Again, only with Shmup active.

I'l take a look at the Shmup then. There might be a conflict with different song files.

6633a4ccc8e8dVegoraptor

6633a4ccc8edc
The Codec is definitely bearable and a good idea, since the actual faces on the models themselves are... monotonous. The Cyberlink can be an issue however, since it jumped halfway out of the screen, so only the blue and green segments were visible.
6633a4ccc9282
Cyberlink HUD bug

Very good catch! This was a side effect of today's work on the aspect ratio. I updated the patch with a fix, and a refined 16:10 option.

SHMUP

It may be that the music is warped, because it's being played at the wrong rate: I have no clue about the possible reasons, though.
« Last Edit: 06. January 2015, 09:23:36 by xdiesp »
6633a4ccc93a6
I updated the patch to minimize the chances of clicking too fast on the cubes in tearspace, producing no sound. Also, I cleared out the Moddb page from the old stuff.

The patch link in here is always more updated than the Moddb one, as it takes several hours for that one to become available after I've uploaded it.

6633a4ccc9706unn_atropos

6633a4ccc9764
Some stuff I found. Description in the file names. The dumpXX have annotations drawn in.
log_switch_mess: Delacroix's text isn't triggered automatically like everywhere else. You have to pull the shard out...or press the button floating in the air
no-crushing_whaaaaattttt_come_on!: give me back my beloved crushing ability, you cruel man!
[bot-sunken-in-floor.jpg expired]
[cant-walk-behind.jpg expired]
[cup-sunken-in-table.jpg expired]
[doorbutton-is-cut.jpg expired]
[doorspace-visible-looks-strange.jpg expired]
[dump177.jpg expired]
[dump178.jpg expired]
[dump179.jpg expired]
[dump201.jpg expired]
[dump202.jpg expired]
[keypad-shadow.jpg expired]
[log_switch_mess.jpg expired]
[no-crushing_whaaaaattttt_come_on!.jpg expired]
[pipes-have-unbreakable-window_sound.jpg expired]
[removed-barrier-still-on-map.jpg expired]
[some-call-it-DEAD^^.jpg expired]
[this-gap-were-not-here-before.jpg expired]
[wrong-sound-played.jpg expired]
6633a4ccc9878
Great work! I should be able to fix most of these. Details:

- The floating button is a leftover from some test, but the event indeed starts when you pull the shard;
- I can fix the wrong colour and unalignment in the tear faultline, but probably can't fix it doesn't get perfectly to the door.
« Last Edit: 08. January 2015, 17:09:01 by xdiesp »
6633a4ccc9a2a
UNN Atropos: I managed to fix the faultlines, the green tear looks better than ever! :D Extraordinary playtesting begets extraordinary bugfixing! Also: here at Jurassic Park, we spare no expense. The one thing I can't change, is the red mark on the map... if anything, it marks the safehouse where you will still find the allied\enemy marines.

I've updated the patch in the first post. Lots of fixes in this one:
- Fixed many details in the 8 Tear maps;
- Cyberspace 3 is more visually unique;
- Combat in Cyberspace maps 4+ is a little more difficult;
- One of the stinger videos uses a different soundtrack;
- Fixed a bad bug with recharging stations. (the fix will only apply fully to maps you haven't visited yet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri973syy5kw
[Green Tear.jpg expired]
6633a4ccc9d2d
Last month I was requested an addon for movie subtitles, so here it is: https://db.tt/avfDNLKY
It was to rest quietly on Moddb, but I think someone else could easily convert it into a SS2 Movie Subtitles mod. :thumb:
So here's some documentation.

• Subtitles are a feature of New Dark 2.43, so I've included a copy for utility.
  • You need to enable subtitles in a CFG file (user.cfg, shock.cfg etc) with the setting: enable_subtitles
  • Subtitles need a "resource file" in \Subtitles\, which is a .SUB file with a unique internal structure. It can deal with subtitles in 2 ways.
  • The first way, is the one I've used in the addon: the SUB file contains the text of all the movies in the game.
  • The second way, is the one featured in the attached "SRT alternative" file. There the SUB file does not contain the text, but a link to another adjacent subtitle file. Which is in SRT format, and can easily be edited by software like Subtitle Workshop.
« Last Edit: 10. January 2015, 09:17:51 by xdiesp »
6633a4ccc9e78
Will download all and test when I get a good net connection, ATM using a cellphone

I'm afraid no eta about when im gonna be able to
6633a4ccca2a0
  • Subtitles are a feature of New Dark 2.43, so I've included a copy for utility.

We have a tried and proven workflow for updates here, namely: Use SS2Tool. So if there isn't a real need for it, please don't make up new ways that will confuse users.
6633a4ccca566
We have a tried and proven workflow for updates here, namely: Use SS2Tool. So if there isn't a real need for it, please don't make up new ways that will confuse users.

It's to update the Steam version, that's why I was asking in PM. My SS2 in steam is inside ProgramFiles, I can't get it updated through SS2Tool.  :( Wasn't there a new incoming version of SS2Tool, can it update Steam?
« Last Edit: 10. January 2015, 16:03:21 by xdiesp »

6633a4ccca5ffvoodoo47

6633a4ccca6b0
the proper way is to get the game out of program files.
6633a4ccca825
These ones here were instructions for the devs of the SS2 Subtitles Mod: the actual Readme for the Movie Subtitles Addon mention SS2Tool first and the archive later. If there's no fixing that SS2Tool doesn't get into the Steam version, I'll have to keep it like this. I can't ask people to take out a game from Steam's folders.

2. Troubleshooting | NewDark v2.43
Subtitles are a new feature introduced in the NewDark v2.43 engine update.
If none are showing, check if your SS2.exe executable has been updated to v2.43.
Otherwise update it with SS2Tool, or extract the included "NewDarkv243.zip" archive manually.

6633a4ccca8c6voodoo47

6633a4ccca922
yes you can. getting out of program files is a pretty standard procedure for old games.
6633a4cccaa43
> Move your SS2 folder outside of Steam's, because SS2Tool can't see it there.

Then take a look into it, the eventual SS2 Subtitles Mod is going to have the same issue. :)
Infinite works without taking the folder out: it's not cool to force people to reinstall the whole game, just for subtitles. I'll state in the Readme that this is the official procedure, with the shorter one as backup.
2 Guests are here.
Find their research softs - understand them, then kill them.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6633a4cccab38