🔒 SS2Tool Applied, SS2 won't run

1 Guest is here.
6633e85f292bf
OlfredQuote
It's probably just a standard EULA they just slap on every release.
And the modding not allowed is probably just a "don't modify your game in any way" thing which is there so you aren't allowed to apply cracks or something along that.
Also they don't have any responsibilites when you mod your game and fuck it up.
6633e85f293bf
JoshsmogQuote
Yeah but still, you aren't legally allowed to mod the game? how would they even enforce that, and what happens are they gonna send lawyers after you? it just seems pointless, if it was just " we will not provide support or take responsibility for mods" that would make more sense, but they are using unofficial patches for their releases? completely backwards if you ask me.
6633e85f29728
BlazzokQuote

Quote by Kolya:
2. Experimental: If you already upgraded your GOG installer and don't have access to the older installer anymore, try installing it and then rename the file gog.ico (to whatever you like) before applying SS2Tool 5.0. The game will then be treated like a standard CD game. Might work.

Option 1 was not available to me, so tried option 2. This method did work, renamed gog.ico, ran SSTool V5.0, it installed correctly and the game runs!

Thank you so much. Will add the mods now, hopefully everything goes well.
6633e85f299be
MarvinQuote
Just curious: What does an .ico file (I assume it's an icon graphic, right?) have to do with the game starting correctly?
6633e85f29b8f
KolyaQuote
When you buy SS2 from GOG you don't buy a game. You buy a usage license for SS2. This prevents you from re-selling SS2 for example. And that is the most likely reason why they have a legal problem when you change the game. Because it is not yours.

The reason GOG told me, is that their contract with NightDiveStudios doesn't allow it. I then mailed Stephen Kick to rectify this. And he contacted GOG about it. From what I've been told, the negotiations between GOG's lawyers and Kick (NightDiveStudios) are still going on.

That being said, it is extremely unlikely that GOG pursue it, if you modify your game. In fact my contact told me they won't. However there's no reason to reserve that right then. It's just a legal farce.

SS2Tool 5.0 uses the gog.ico file to recognise a GOG game. If the icon is not present it will treat the game as a standard CD game.

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact