6633fa4a7b7c6

6633fa4a7be7d
1 Guest is here.

Topic: Server move on Saturday 13th July Read 3405 times  

6633fa4a7c7e3
°SMA

Heads up, we're planning to move to a new server at another provider on Saturday 13th July (2 weeks from now). I rented the new server a while ago and Al_B has already made lots of preparations, it's almost ready.

This had been a long time coming due to several factors: The old server is slow and relatively costly, but mainly its old hardware doesn't enable an upgrade that would allow us to use free letsencrypt SSL-certificates. Instead we had to use paid certs since we switched to SSL  6 years ago. Our last paid cert expires on 24th July, so it's time we move to greener pastures.
Acknowledged by 3 members: Nameless Voice, unn_atropos, hemebond
6633fa4a7c935
The move has been postponed to tomorrow, Sunday 12:00 CEST  (11:00 BST, 10:00 UTC).
6633fa4a7cdbe
The domain transfer is still in progress, so in the meantime you're being redirected to the new system at shodan.systemshock.org.
6633fa4a7ceb4
I have temporarily disabled guest posting, because we had a lot of spam coming in. Well, about 20 threads.
Once the domain transfer is through, I'll see about re-enabling it.
6633fa4a7cfa6
The external link feed on the main page ("From around the web") and Skypager messages are working again now.

6633fa4a7d094testomat

6633fa4a7d0e0
Testomat here testing email notifications! Beep beep!

6633fa4a7d603The Brain

6633fa4a7d665
Reply, Quote, Ack, Report and other buttons are missing their icons.
EDIT : False alarm. It was web browser cache issue.
6633fa4a7d811
AFAIK everything works by now, except for two things:
1. The domain transfer itself hasn't happened yet. I just contacted the old and the new provider about it.  EDIT: The transfer is pending and just a matter of time.
2. Mails are not yet being sent out. Al_B is looking into this. I have temporarily disabled registrations, since registrants won't receive a validation mail and therefore cannot finish the registration process. To the ones already caught in this limbo I will resend validations email once this is fixed.
« Last Edit: 18. July 2019, 19:08:01 by Kolya »

6633fa4a7d961ZylonBane

6633fa4a7d9b6
3. The UI font isn't downloading.
6633fa4a7db51
@ZylonBane That sounds like what The Brain mentioned just before. It was just a caching issue for him and from what I see the font downloads fine. Please empty your cache and try again.
6633fa4a7dce2
Since you made it here, congrats your DNS information is up to date. What happened is this: Al_B set a DNS entry at the old provider that points at the new server. Like a redirect.
Then the old server went down due to an unrelated technical problem at the old provider.
This doesn't have to bother us too much since we're already on the new server. But it sucks for those who have stale DNS data because they will still get pointed at the old server which is down. 

The good news is that this will all fix itself. People will get new DNS data, the domain is being transferred and probably even the old server will come up again to point those with old DNS data also here.

EDIT: And I think I figured out the icon font problem.
« Last Edit: 19. July 2019, 00:13:31 by Kolya »

6633fa4a7dd7cicemann

6633fa4a7ddd4
And some people may not have been to login for a few hours yesterday. Happened to me.
6633fa4a7df2d
Hm, apparently I'm back. During/after the server move, I didn't see the "community" area of the board. I logged out. Because I forgot my password, I requested a new one but never got the email (I since read that this is due to a general problem with notification mails). In the logged out state, the community area was visible again though.

Today I was able to use my old password (saved via Firefox). Strange thing is that I did try this before but because it didn't work, I tried to request the new one. Anyway, the "community"-area had seemngly disappeared again. I since realized that there are buttons to minimize/maximize areas of the board  ("Collapse category") that I never noticed before.
« Last Edit: 20. July 2019, 23:39:37 by fox »
6633fa4a7e02f
I was about to ask if the category had been collapsed... These buttons have always been there, although they don't serve much of a purpose IMO. I guess I'll remove them when I get around to it.
6633fa4a7e112
I feel a bit dumb about not having noticed those before. Just thought the disappearance had something to do with the server move.
6633fa4a7e216
Well the category also collapses when you click the category name on the main page. So that might have happened. Either way it is unexpected behaviour and hardly useful on a forum with as few categories as we have.

EDIT: fixed
« Last Edit: 21. July 2019, 16:54:45 by Kolya »
Acknowledged by: fox
6633fa4a7e400
I can't access https://systemshock.org due to certificate/privacy error.
Acknowledged by 2 members: Kolya, hemebond
6633fa4a7e577
Still redirects to shodan.systemshock.org.
1 Guest is here.
Mabel learns Grunkle Stan has never seen a rainbow and declares a color emergency.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6633fa4a7e68c