664af7ff8f6fd

664af7ff8fd1a
1 Guest is here.

664af7ff914f3ZylonBane

664af7ff91558

Tags: °texture °object °fixup

Click here for the latest version.
Also, do not use both SHTUP_beta6 an SHTUP-ND_beta1 at the same time.

What is this?
SHTUP is a mod for System Shock 2 which aims to increase the resolution of all the common (and quite a few of the not-so-common) object textures. A secondary objective of the mod is to correct all other graphical glitches, such as typos, continuity errors, texture alignment errors, and so on. All of this is to be done while sticking as closely as possible to the original art style. Simply put, our goal is to make SS2 look like a higher-res version of itself.
SHTUP has been named one of "50 essential mods" in PC Gamer UK (Nov 2009). (SHTUP Beta6 discussion on TTLG.)

Why you probably don't want to use this version anymore
You should only use this version of SHTUP (beta 6), if you're using the original retail version of the SS2 . If you've patched your install with a recent version of SS2Tool, or are using the GOG or Steam releases, you should use SHTUP-ND, currently posted here.

Compatibility with Olfred's models pack
A few of Olfred's fixed models have been added as a separate download, these make sure SHTUP (beta6) is fully compatible with the fixed model pack. See the very bottom of this post. To install, just extract the models from the attached archive into SHTUP's OBJ folder, and overwrite the original ones. Patched SHTUP should have higher priority than fixed model pack in the Modmanager.

SHTUP is completely compatible with the SS2 Rebirth mod. SHTUP upgrades objects, Rebirth upgrades the AI models.

Screenshots

What's new in Beta 6?
  • Several dozen most excellently updated/retextured pipe models (IceNine)
  • Updated "annelid goo" models (IceNine again)
  • Updated plant models (Black Boe)
  • Updated Earth skybox (Black Boe again)
  • Redrawn Xerxes face (Eldron)
  • Updated world model wrench textures (Ichu)
  • Several fixed object models (the inimitable Esh)
  • Updated  "annelid goo" textures to complement IceNine's updated models.
  • Updated basketball hoop, basketball court (same res, but should look a little more natural now), and basketball inventory icon
  • Re-Updated the MedSci "VB" door texture. This was one of the first textures I updated back in 2003, so it was looking a little rough. Thanks to Esh tweaking the door model, it's now a full 256x512 texture. Also, finally updated the damaged version of this door.
  • Made some tweaks to the HUD graphics so the edges don't change when switching between Use/Shoot mode anymore.
  • Cleaned up all the square warning signs with the horizontal color stripes. They should all look much more consistent now, with the stripes always on the same side and no weird Z-fighting issues. Also, the signs that used to have a flashing white stripe will now have a flashing red stripe. Turns out it was always supposed to be red, but a palette mismatch caused it to appear white instead.
  • Updated all the "big red letter" signs so that each letter is its own 256x256 texture. Super sharp!
  • Updated most non-square signage to use TGA textures. This means that all edges will now have a smooth, anti-aliased appearance. This is especially noticeably on signs with text.
  • Updated all blood splats and blood scrawls to use TGA textures as well. In addition to the edge-smoothing effect, variable transparency was used to give the blood a nice gory smeared appearance.
  • Cleaned up the Rickenbacker logos on the Rickenbacker map screens.
  • Trash cans now have actual trash in them.
  • The snow-covered floors now actually look like snow.
  • Wedge lights now have a texture that actually looks like something, instead of the old blank white texture.
  • Rickenbacker deck A/B/C signs inverted to match the Rickenbacker's deck layout (A at the bottom, C at the top).
  • Three out of four stim unit faces upgraded (still can't figure out who that second guy is).
  • Recreation deck room signs height slightly increased so VB logo is round now.
  • Piano console screen upgraded. Name that tune!

Contributors
  • ZylonBane - project lead, texturing, model tweaking, site design
  • IceNine - modeling/texturing (updated pipes and Many goo)
  • Black Boe - modeling/texturing (updated plants)
  • Eldron - texturing (updated Xerxes)
  • Eshaktaar - lots of modeling
  • Hires - texturing, modeling
  • Rattkin - texturing
  • Darksharp - texturing
  • Freylia.Net, Shock Unlimited, Wuggles Unlimited - forum hosts over the years
  • Ryan Lesser - original high-resolution SHODAN render
  • SNAFU - hi-res SS1 V-Mail
  • Garcie - texturing
  • Ichu - texturing
  • Nameless Voice - texturing
  • Pride Assassin - texturing
  • Thunderpeel - texturing
  • Shadowspawn - mesh conversion tools and high-poly basketball mesh
  • Telliamed - font conversion tools

How can I help?
If you're a talented artist or modeler, please visit Recreation Deck and introduce yourself!
If you can identify #1 or #3 in this art collage, we'd be most appreciative (No, #1 isn't Nude Descending a Staircase).

Ditto for face #1 from the stim units.

Download
Download shtup_beta6.7z from the attachments below.
Optionally also download shtup_model_fix.zip for compatibility with Olfred's model pack.
The rest of these attachments are screenshots, as seen above.
« Last Edit: 02. January 2024, 01:16:29 by ZylonBane »

664af7ff917b2Assassin

Re: [Obsolete] SS2 SHTUP (Shock Texture Update Project)
664af7ff91801
Any plans for update?
« Last Edit: 04. January 2020, 01:30:20 by Moderator »

664af7ff918bdaiat_gamer

664af7ff9190c
the main site for this mod is blocked,any chance some one can tell me another link for it?

664af7ff91ad0ZylonBane

664af7ff91b1b
I'm not sure what's going on with the SHTUP site. I've sent some inquiries to my ISP, currently waiting for an answer.

664af7ff91bbeZylonBane

664af7ff91c06
Okay, SHTUP site back up. They blocked it for excessive bandwidth usage (though I had to yell at them before they'd tell me why, yeesh).

Guess I won't be hosting SHTUP myself anymore!
664af7ff91d71
I think torrenting SHTUP is useful as it's sufficiently popular.

664af7ff91e09ZylonBane

664af7ff91e53
I've removed the download link from the main site and directed downloads to this thread. I hope that's okay.
664af7ff91f3b
Yes of course. I added another download location, from sbf.freylia.net.
664af7ff92026
Updated to Beta 6. See the first post.

664af7ff9217amiracle.flame

664af7ff92210
woow marvelous update! great work there! and thanks for the new pictures as well. are there more changes in fact or some list of changes and list of "left to do" somewhere? haven't found anything in readme there.
664af7ff9237f
On the SHTUP development forum there is a spreadsheet available that details the current status of the project.
664af7ff924a7
a question comes to mind after installing this mod and thats " How did i ever play without it" XD This is just pure class in a glass. I found myself dieing a few times on immpossable cause i've been destracted reading contrls panels XD. A mod for all lovers of the game.
664af7ff926c6
Hm, I have problems using SHTUP (tested beta 5 and 6). I use it with the mod manager and the game keeps crashing after the loading screen everytime I activate it. I get the usual "System Shock 2 has crashed"-message again. Thanks to Kolya I am now able to start it vanilla and also with the other essential mods like Rebirth etc. although I have the known problems with Forceware for 8800GTS cards.

I use the retail German CD-version with the latest versions of Kolya's SS2-Tool and the Deutsch-Patch. I am running it at 1280*1024.

Any ideas or suggestions? I just don't want to miss SHTUP since it really enhances the game very much.

EDIT: Just found the appropriate thread for this question at the TTLG-forums -> http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119661 The short answer is again "Wait for new Forceware drivers!". Kinda lame of Nvidia...  :weird:

« Last Edit: 26. February 2008, 21:25:11 by fox »
664af7ff927d4
I just finished the game with this mod installed and I can see now that I took some of the details for granted even though I recognized some that were changed. Awesome job, so close to the original art just higher res. I wish I was skillful enough to contribute but my thanks will have to do then :)
664af7ff92bfc
*some ancient necromantic rituals later*

Can we expect SHTUP 7 to show up anytime in the future? There have been several interesting admissions in the last few months and most important of all, the fam textures seem to have progresses just as well, at least if I'm not misunderstanding ZB.

664af7ff92d10Nameless Voice

664af7ff92d60
You do realise that the fam textures can never be used as drop-in replacements for the original levels because world textures don't work like that?
664af7ff930d6
You do realise that the fam textures can never be used as drop-in replacements for the original levels because world textures don't work like that?
I didn't up to this moment.

But what about this?
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119451

Aren't those world textures, too?

664af7ff931cdZylonBane

664af7ff9321c
DDFix's texture-replacement functionality only works with Thief II. The coder behind it apparently has insufficient interest in adding support for SS2.

664af7ff932b7Nameless Voice

664af7ff93308
However, the source code is available so maybe someone will pick up the torch some day.
664af7ff93593
DDFix's texture-replacement functionality only works with Thief II. The coder behind it apparently has insufficient interest in adding support for SS2.
Did anyone try to persuade timeslip yet? For someone who can pull stuff like ddfix off, it shouldn't be that hard to port its features over to Shock.
664af7ff936e8
Even if SHTUP can't benefit for the moment of DDFix's texture replacememt, I would think there's been some additions made since the last release over a year ago?  :p

664af7ff9376dZylonBane

664af7ff937bd
Yes.
664af7ff93899
When did the SHTUP relocate to Langley, Virginia?
1 Guest is here.
it's a nanite driven world. with monkeys, ninjas and zombies. ~v47
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
664af7ff939be