664b63cbc0dad

664b63cbc14b7
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS2 Coloured Laser Rapiers All-in-One
Page: « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Read 12511 times  

664b63cbc1feaGuyFawkesGaming

664b63cbc206d
Deu sex  XD I was just about to edit my post that I got it working by dropping the following in a gamesys.dml and dropping that in the SCP beta 4 folder.
Code: [Select]
DML1

//drop SelfLit onto rapiers already placed in levels
ObjProp -24 "Scripts"
{
"Script 0" NVRemovePropertyTrap
}
+ObjProp -24 "ObjList"
{
"" NVRemovePropertyTrapOn="BeginScript"; NVRemovePropertyTrapProp="SelfLit"; NVRemovePropertyTrapReAdd=1; NVRemovePropertyTrapCount=1;
}

+ObjProp -24 "SelfLitRad" //Electro Shock
{
    "" 30
}

+ObjProp -24 "AnimLight" //Electro Shock
{
    "Mode" "slide smoothly"
    "min brightness" 160
    "max brightness" 280
    "millisecs to brighten" 1400
    "millisecs to dim" 1000
    "Dynamic Light" true
}
Note that I've only tested console command spawned rapiers.

664b63cbc221cDeu sex

664b63cbc2278
yep, sadly I didn't see any pre-spawned rapiers having the parameters, however rapiers that spawn in enemies like in the rapier assasin mod do have the correct parameters

160 280 is a pretty big difference! that must do a pretty big wave of energy!

664b63cbc23a6ZylonBane

664b63cbc23fc
A properly-functioning laser rapier wouldn't have any "waves" of energy at all. It would maintain a constant, steady energy output.

664b63cbc24c2GuyFawkesGaming

664b63cbc2518
You know, something I just thought of; how difficult would it be to transplant the arm model from the Tacticool wrench onto the vanilla laser rapier (and perhaps even Rocketman's shard)?

664b63cbc2663voodoo47

664b63cbc26b9
not amazingly difficult, probably, @Olfred did manage to edit a melee weapon mesh for the xmas mod.
664b63cbc2a4b
I did something similiar almost a decade ago.
The real problem isn't transplanting the arm to the model, but to get the model to properly work again.
If there is any interest I could dig up my old files again, it should be easy enough to throw the original rapier in again.

664b63cbc2ca9GuyFawkesGaming

664b63cbc2cff
OlfredI'd be interested, though I don't speak for everybody.

664b63cbc311asarge945

664b63cbc3176
A properly-functioning laser rapier wouldn't have any "waves" of energy at all. It would maintain a constant, steady energy output.

Objection your honor, rule of cool
Acknowledged by: RoSoDude

664b63cbc349eDeu sex

664b63cbc34f4
I wonder if it's possible to use the refraction heat particles around the rapier, that would look crazy good, at least in theory.
Any genius can create a minimod that adds them?

664b63cbc3714sarge945

664b63cbc376c
I wonder if it's possible to use the refraction heat particles around the rapier, that would look crazy good, at least in theory.
Any genius can create a minimod that adds them?

Does the engine even support refractions?
« Last Edit: 12. May 2022, 05:33:37 by sarge945 »

664b63cbc3da3RoSoDude

664b63cbc3e0b
SCP makes good use of NewDark's heat disk refraction feature in the Command deck (more info here):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIgAbPoECl0
664b63cbc4084
GuyFawkesGamingSorry for being late, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Here is the blender file for the rapier model.
[rapier_33_looking good.blend expired]

664b63cbc4244GuyFawkesGaming

664b63cbc4298
OlfredCool! Sorry for only noticing this now. Unfortunately I can't view it myself since I don't have blender installed, but I presume it looks just like the pic from the thread you linked.

664b63cbc4347sarge945

664b63cbc43c7
So I should be free to get back to this on the weekend. What should I add? I'm not sure everyone will like the refraction effect. Maybe I will make it optional.

664b63cbc44a3Deu sex

664b63cbc44f8
Oh yes if you can make it optional that would be perfect, I'm still conflicted on how the refraction should be handled, would it be better if heat particles only stayed attached to the rapier, or if some stays attached and others not so that it would do some kind of heat trail effect when you move or swing the sword.

664b63cbc45a2sarge945

664b63cbc45f3
Okay so I really dropped the ball on this one

There's a new RSD out so I might play around with getting this patched up while testing the new version
Acknowledged by: Deu sex

664b63cbc47dbsarge945

664b63cbc4830
I had another look at this and have made a pretty significant breakthrough.

I implemented the pulsating colour effect from earlier in this thread, plus, not only do rapiers now update correctly, including ones placed in the map, I have also created an All-In-One package, which will randomize the colour of rapiers when they spawn. Why pick a colour when you can have all of them?

I have tested this, but not thoroughly. I eagerly await feedback!

Please note that the archive contains a docs folder which explains how to add new rapier colours, as well as how to disable certain colours that you don't like. Disabling a colour is an easy, straightfoward 1 line change, and is explained step-by-step in the included documents, so it should be relatively easy for even inexperienced computer users or non-programmers to change.

If anyone wants to create any more rapier colours, I would be glad to include them (and credit you as the creator of those rapiers). No modelling skill is required, only texturing, which can be done in GIMP. A text editor is also required, I recommend Notepad++.

Please note that because these use dynamic lights, trying to "catch-em-all" and creating a large collection of laser rapiers could cause graphical issues, since Dark has a limit on the number of dynamic lights that can be created.

[dump043.png expired]
[dump044.png expired]
[dump042.png expired]
« Last Edit: 21. July 2022, 01:35:35 by sarge945 »

664b63cbc4b92voodoo47

664b63cbc4bf2
Dark has a limit on the number of dynamic lights that can be created
32, so you'll be fine unless you spawn them en masse via the console.

664b63cbc4ed4sarge945

664b63cbc4f29
32, so you'll be fine unless you spawn them en masse via the console.

Yeah you're probably right. I don't know if rapier assassins drop usable rapiers (I don't use those mods), but if someone starts hoarding rapiers for whatever reason, they could run into issues.

In vanilla, there's only like 3 or 4 rapiers in the whole game I think, so it's not a big problem.
« Last Edit: 15. July 2022, 12:00:46 by sarge945 »

664b63cbc4fcaZylonBane

664b63cbc5019
(looks at code)

Haven't discovered arrays yet, have you?

664b63cbc52a6sarge945

664b63cbc52f6
(looks at code)

Haven't discovered arrays yet, have you?

A-Ray? You mean like one of these?

Actually seriously though, yeah that was a pretty major derp on my part. I basically spent so long hacking this together and getting it barely working (with lots of issues at the time), that I never even considered cleaning it up - brain was goo by that point and I was just happy to get the damn thing done and released, even with it being horrible.

I originally thought squirrel arrays were like C arrays (limited entirely to one type) and abandoned them because of the "sometimes you want values and sometimes you don't" aspect of this and put it in the too hard basket. That's obviously not an issue here since squirrel is weakly typed and allows values of multiple types within arrays.

Despite the snarky response, and it pains me to say this, you're completely correct, arrays are a good fit for this. I feel stupid for not even considering using one. I have uploaded a MUCH neater version.

664b63cbc547dsarge945

664b63cbc54ca
I fixed a bug where the Rapier was inheriting the Energy Weapons script from it's parent. I also made white and black rapiers half as likely to appear, since they look strange and are generally weirder and more niche. As a result of this, each rapier colour can now have it's individual chance to appear adjusted! Got a favourite that you like more than the rest, but want to still see the others? Bump it's chance up!

I find it odd and annoying that we are hard limited to 4 script slots and thanks to Dont Inherit being true we can't add more via metaprops.

In some ways I wish the EnergyWeapon script was detached from the Energy (-14) archetype and instead attached to each of the energy weapon archetypes through a metaprop, then we could get access to more script slots on the rapier by using metaprops. Because of this quirk, this mod currently has an incompatiblity with SS2-RSD because that mod uses all 4 script slots on the rapier.

Here's what happens when I deliberately mess with the chance values...

UPDATE: Thanks @RoSoDude for the RSD Update. This is now compatible again with Version 8 Beta 12 (hotfixed today) and should remain compatible going forward.

[dump047.png expired]
« Last Edit: 21. July 2022, 01:33:48 by sarge945 »

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

A familiar passcode with 3 digits:
1 Guest is here.
it's a nanite driven world. with monkeys, ninjas and zombies. ~v47
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
664b63cbc561c