*pistol fire, reloading
assassin is now muted except his footsteps
many pain is now altered to be more deep and powerful
loud annoying clanging when you open a container is removed
annoying replicator sound is muted
dry fire and gun breaks altered
wrench swinging is quiet
the robots no longer talk
camera bleeps are muted. you can only hear the camera scanning and a small click when it focuses on you

some sounds are from other people packs so credit where its due. i did not make any of these sounds i simply packed them to my own standards. please move this thread to the mod archive.

thanks guys and enjoy... its a nice mod.

http://www.filedropper.com/hexsoundmod_1
« Last Edit: 05. July 2014, 21:07:21 by Kolya »

664af3dba0900Enchantermon

664af3dba0956
Moving this topic into the System Shock 2 Mods forum.
664af3dba0ad9
Thank you Hex, I recompressed the mod with 7zip and attached it to your post. And I put you in the Uploader group so you can manage your attachments.

664af3dba0bacEnchantermon

664af3dba0c24
Hah. I knew I was forgetting something. :p Tag teaming ftw. :)

Hex, when you refer to the "loud annoying clanging when you open a container," are you talking about the opening of the container's inventory?

664af3dba0d77ZylonBane

664af3dba0dd6
Judging from the description, this seems to be the work of someone who doesn't like sound effects.
664af3dba0fdd
well i kept the droid talking because it adds atmosphere... but those big mechs voices sound ridiculous and childish. they still make all the electronic type of sounds though. there is still inventory sounds... the little "chink"  when you open your inventory is still there... but the "clank" when you open a box is NOT there anymore... the gun sounds are much more realistic and powerful. the shotgun no longer has a cock sound in the firing sound because he doesnt even hold the fore end... much less cock it. so now its like a semi auto shotgun. the assassins are actually a threat now because hey they are ninja assassins... why the hell would they be walking around spewing some ridiculous sounds? and that stupid little bzzzz! when the ninja dashes and the "wishh! wishh!" when they throw stars is also very childish. so basicly the game is more realistic and the enemies are more dangerous because you must use better tactics in clearing areas... instead of hearing every enemy in the game from 50 feet away. if you dont like my pack dont download. but dont bash my tastes on my post. i see nothing wrong with my pack in fact i love it and always play with it. oh not to mention the camera... you actually have to look for cameras now... "i see you! im about to sound my alarm if you dont hide soon! this game is apparently for babies so we warn you everytime youre potentially in danger" sorry if youre not actually being a smartass. sometimes i have trouble deciphering. and you would only get a swinging sound like that wrench has with a longer and thin sword. a heavy wrench swung with one hand would never produce a sound like that.

664af3dba1113Ampersand

664af3dba1165
What you mean by "childish" is very mysterious, and I really don't get your objection to the opening of containers having noise, or security/maintenance droids communicating out loud.  The other things are pretty good points, although it does raise questions as you're complaining about how unrealistic the game is without mentioning the monkeys that can shoot balls of extreme cold or fire at you with their brains.  And, in my experience...  The assassins in the core game are challenging enemies, because they're pretty likely to cut you to ribbons with their shuriken before you can run up to them and beat them down with a rapier/shard.
664af3dba1297
Hex, you need to learn not to flip like that when your work is mildly criticised.
System Shock 2's fame rests in large parts on its sounds. So even if you don't like some of them, calling them childish, ridiculous and for babies is not going to convince anyone. Neither is the fact that you like your own work better.

664af3dba16bdRocketMan

664af3dba1717
Hex, the old "suspension of disbelief" thing applies perfectly to the kind of details you're describing.  While much of what you say is technically true, these stupid things serve a higher purpose nonetheless.  For example, have you ever walked into a department store and became instantly aware of all the security cameras around you?  If each one of them could dispatch security to kill you, you'd be fighting and running around 99% of the time.  It's nice to have cameras as an added hazard but you need to keep the game somewhat balanced by giving the player a slight advantage.  With the assassins it's a bit different but equally important.  The sounds they make and the fact that they dart back and forth in the corridors makes an accoustic experience that frightens players because before they can see the assassin they hear him in every direction and anticipate an ambush that may in fact not come.  This adds to the immersion factor and keeps the player paranoid and afraid.  That's what the game does well and that's why we hear them.  SS2 is a sensory experience so while removing some of the sounds may make the game more believable it also makes it a bit flatter.  Bottom line is that it's fine to make this sort of mod but be aware that it will only target a percentage of shock fans who valued the game for different reasons than most of us did.

664af3dba1805psikoticsilver

664af3dba1855
I know this is rather old but I just read this post.

I don't quite understand why everyone even bothered with their responses.  You don't like his work?  I wonder what you're supposed to do when you don't like someones work... hmm... might take a while to think about it.  I'm pretty sure I learned what to do when I don't like someones work back in elementary school along with other basic manners.

Ps, it's probably his first mod ever, way to drive off new people.
664af3dba1964
I think the feedback was rather fair and constructive, especially given his own dismissive attitude towards the original soundwork. It's not like he showed any restraint in that regard. So your critique would apply to Hex as well.

Whatever, it's water under the bridge.

664af3dba1a10psikoticsilver

664af3dba1a5d
It would, however let's face it--Zylonbane is known across 2-3 SS2/Thief communities as an inciter and a flamer.
My biggest issue is that people were defending him.

664af3dba1d53Fironkkuify

664af3dba1da9
It would, however let's face it--Zylonbane is known across 2-3 SS2/Thief communities as an inciter and a flamer.

That may be true, and the latter may have to do with the fact that he has a certain talent with mods and his involvement with big projects like the Christine fan series.

But there's probably more to this so there's not much I can say on the subject, only that I'm aware.  For more or for less, his criticism here, at least, wasn't over-the-top.  Probably not the best example to use.

664af3dba1fb9ZylonBane

664af3dba2009
1. Nobody was defending me.

2. Dredging up a two-year old argument was not a smart idea.
664af3dba2102
ZB's reputation is irrelevant to this. Currently it's you who's inciting a fight over a long gone discussion, psikoticsilver. Please don't do this. Otherwise I'll have to close the thread.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

____ at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone!  (Fill in the missing word):
1 Guest is here.
All the dreams we held so close Seemed to all go up in smoke
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
664af3dba21fa