663cbcfa4515a

663cbcfa45782
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS2 GamePig Unleashed Read 13732 times  

663cbcfa4603fYankee Clipper

663cbcfa460bb
Tags: °DML

By default, hacking the GamePig unlocks 6 games: Swinekeeper, Overworld, Hogger, TicTacToe, Swine Hunter, and Golf. This mod expands the number of games unlocked to 11. The additional games are: Ping, KaBacon, Abyss, Pig Stacker, and Burro Hog.

Disclaimer: These additional games are original game content created by the SS2 developers. They had disabled them; this mod merely unlocks the extra games to make them available to the player. 
« Last Edit: 14. June 2015, 17:59:30 by Yankee Clipper »
Acknowledged by: Pedruh47

663cbcfa467d5Godslayer

Re: GamePig Unleashed
663cbcfa46829
Never understood the point of the Gamepig. Would've been cool if we could use it to hack stuff and gain certain kind of bonuses that we wouldn't get otherwise from normal hacking.

663cbcfa46992voodoo47

663cbcfa469ed
the most obvious use would be to pass time while waiting for a research to complete.

663cbcfa46a8dGodslayer

663cbcfa46adc
Playing a game, within a game? Sounds legit.

663cbcfa46b99voodoo47

663cbcfa46bec
this is nothing. there are games out there that allow you to play a minigame inside a minigame inside a
minigame - it's been mentioned around here, though I don't remember the name (wing commander?) at the moment. I think the most layers ever was seven, though I may be misremembering this.

663cbcfa46fe8ZylonBane

663cbcfa4703e
Never understood the point of the Gamepig. Would've been cool if we could use it to hack stuff and gain certain kind of bonuses that we wouldn't get otherwise from normal hacking.
Just like with a real GameBoy!
Acknowledged by: RocketMan

663cbcfa472dcGodslayer

663cbcfa47330
As most usual ZB's posts doesn't make any sense.
663cbcfa47469
It makes perfect sense. The Gamepig is an obvious homage to the Gameboy and SS2 is an immersive simulation. So you can't use the Gamepig to hack stuff just like you can't use your Gameboy to hack things in real life. The point of a Gamepig/Gameboy is to play games.
Acknowledged by 5 members: ZylonBane, Olfred, unn_atropos, vurt, tiphares4
663cbcfa475c1
If only: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening and 007: James Bond ported into the GamePig. Those games had great depth considering they were for the Gameboy and were fantastic.

663cbcfa476b4Roarkes

663cbcfa47709
Can someone please make this for android ?

663cbcfa47addRocketMan

663cbcfa47b3a
I seem to have forgotten to mention how much I've wanted to be able to play the rest of these games since I knew they existed.  This is really cool :)

663cbcfa47cdbRocketMan

663cbcfa47d65
Oh i know but it feels better when i don't have to cheat.
663cbcfa4806c
What would be fantastic would be if someone could design an in-game arcade cabinet, place it at various positions in System Shock 2, and put MAME in it. Nothing too fancy, just the big name games from the early/late 1980s (otherwise the mod would be huge, and you'd spend more time choosing what game to play than playing one*), such as

Space Invaders,
Pacman,
Mr Do!,
Asteroids,
Defender,
Robotron,
Donkey Kong,
Bubble Bobble,
Outrun,
Ikari-Warriors,

and (in-game) when you approach one of the cabinets, you can hear the music (say from Bubble Bobble, as that has great music and it really sounds like an arcade tune), and it would be great if the game kept track of your high-scores, and the high-scores were constant across all of the cabinets.

* I first discovered MAME in 1996 or 1997, when a friend of mine passed me a floppy disc with MAME and a few game roms on it. I think I had to write a batch file to make starting MAME easier, and the only games on there were Pacman, Mr Do!, and a few others. But I played them for ages! Nowadays, I have MAME for the PC, and for my original XBox, and it's immeasurably better, as I have literally thousand of games for it (including a lot of later arcade games that my 1996 PC would never have had the speed or memory to run), I can use a joypad instead of the keyboard to play the games, there's a full GUI to load the games, including videos and screen shots of the games, and yet I barely touch MAME nowadays, as there's just too much choice. I spend longer wondering which game to load, and when I play a game, I keep thinking that I'd have more fun playing a different game. If MAME had 20 games instead of 2000 (more like 4000) then I do think that I'd play it more.

663cbcfa484aaZylonBane

663cbcfa484ff
What would be fantastic would be if someone could design an in-game arcade cabinet, place it at various positions in System Shock 2, and put MAME in it.
That would be ridiculous. The Von Braun is not a video arcade, and System Shock 2 is not Duke Nukem 3D.
663cbcfa4866e
It would require to run MAME inside the game engine. Highly unlikely. From the top of my head I know no game at all that allows you to channel the output of some other program into an object in the game world. Though it would certainly be interesting in some cases, eg to visit a website.

If the gamepig is ever to be expanded, games will have to be specifically written for it. Might be possible via the scripting API, but probably not. In that case there is no way to get new minigames into SS2 at this point.
663cbcfa48762
I just though... If ss1 devs would share the sources of ss1 minigames, it would be possible (probably) to adapt them to the second game!
663cbcfa48b57
That would be ridiculous. The Von Braun is not a video arcade, and System Shock 2 is not Duke Nukem 3D.

It wouldn't be ridiculous, either from the point of view of story and atmosphere (since presumably even centuries in the future, then cafe/rest areas and bars might have some sort of game machines that the public can use (for a small cost), though it will presumably involve much more immersion than simplistic 2D games like Pacman and Donkey Kong*), or from the point of view of gameplay, as the player wouldn't have to play them if (s)he didn't want to. I'm not suggesting that you have to play them, and must attain a high score so that (for example) a door on the Von Braun will then open, a door that cannot be opened any other way. That would be ridiculous, as it would introduce a new gameplay style (Pacman, or whatever) to SS2, which wouldn't suit many players.

I'm not even saying anyone should make such a mod, as I really doubt that many people would play it, so it wouldn't be worth anyone taking the trouble to make it (games like Timesplitters 2 and Second Site have simplistic arcade style games built in, and I never bother them), I just think it would be really good to have the arcade machines available for play in SS2, and for the arcade machines to resemble 1980s stand-up arcade cabinets, as it would be a comforting point of familiarity, and would make the relaxation areas more convincing. Though after quickly playing on a couple of the games, then I doubt I'd ever use them again, but the cabinets would still, I think, be good for atmosphere, especially if they played the arcade music and had the rolling demos/attract modes.

* Unless in the future we all have either built in screens (built into our glasses, or our eyeballs, or spliced into our optic nerves) or some other sort of display that can be carried about easily but looks like a decent size (i.e. no mobile phones, but easier to carry than tablets), so that we just carry the games with us.

663cbcfa48c75miracle.flame

663cbcfa48cd3
Having just a few of them on Recreation deck would not be that ridiculous as on other decks or BotM but the worthwhileness of the effort would require such a notorious fan as yourself to make it.

663cbcfa48e9btiphares4

663cbcfa48eee
Sorry for hauling this thread out of the depths or so...

but wouldn't it be a nice feature for SCP No. 5 etc. to have the missing 5 Gamepig games (Ping, KaBacon, Abyss, Pig Stacker, and Burro Hog) put on cartridges as well & distributed throughout the Von Braun?👾

663cbcfa48fa5ZylonBane

663cbcfa48ffa
The "missing" games are unused for a reason: Because they're terrible.

But if you really want to play them in SCP, you can already do that. Just get your hacking up to 6 and hack the GamePig.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

The deck number where you shall meet Dr. Janice Polito:
1 Guest is here.
Philosophy is the talk on a cereal box.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
663cbcfa49164