664afc5dc0a25

664afc5dc0fb0
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS2 JMP Jack's Pulse Rifle Read 3587 times  

664afc5dc13ccJMP-Jack

664afc5dc1439
I've seen many videos about system shock 2 on youtube with Alien Pulse Rifle. I wanted to try do it myself too, just for practice (with original sound!). Load with Mod Manager with higher priority than any other weapon pack.

ps. this weapon replaces the assault rifle... of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUto_GIOwtQ
« Last Edit: 26. September 2017, 13:10:12 by Moderator »

664afc5dc174dZylonBane

Re: JMP Jack's Pulse Rifle
664afc5dc17c7
Seven megabytes for a simple weapon replacement mod? What's going on here?

Hmm, the sound files are all 44khz stereo PCM. At the very least they should be reduced to mono. They have an excessively long fade-off at the end too. Their length could probably be reduced by a third with no audible difference.

Ahhh, there it is. The main texture is a six-megabyte 2048x2048 PNG. I tried scaling it down to a 1024x1024 24-bit PNG, which reduced the file size to 1.5MB, and it looked virtually the same in-game. The 2K version does look a little better if you squint and stare at the scratch marks, but overall, I wouldn't say that minor difference is worth quadruple the VRAM.

The texture itself looks like there's a lot of redundancy in it. Almost every major detail is repeated. It also looks a bit low-contrast. I tried giving it slightly darker darks and much brighter brights, and IMHO it looks significantly better.

As for the model, there's a lot of detail on the held model that will never be visible in-game, mostly the entire trigger section. The texture HRPistArm.gif can even be deleted with no visible effect in-game.

On the bright side, it didn't crash SS2, so there's that.
[assultcompare.jpg expired]
« Last Edit: 27. May 2017, 18:55:55 by ZylonBane »

664afc5dc190evoodoo47

664afc5dc196a
he's aware, and he is going to scale the texture as mentioned in the Engineering topic (where I'll probably move these two last posts).

664afc5dc1dc7JMP Jack

664afc5dc1e24
Seven megabytes for a simple weapon replacement mod? What's going on here?

Hmm, the sound files are all 44khz stereo PCM. At the very least they should be reduced to mono. They have an excessively long fade-off at the end too. Their length could probably be reduced by a third with no audible difference.

Ahhh, there it is. The main texture is a six-megabyte 2048x2048 PNG. I tried scaling it down to a 1024x1024 24-bit PNG, which reduced the file size to 1.5MB, and it looked virtually the same in-game. The 2K version does look a little better if you squint and stare at the scratch marks, but overall, I wouldn't say that minor difference is worth quadruple the VRAM.

The texture itself looks like there's a lot of redundancy in it. Almost every major detail is repeated. It also looks a bit low-contrast. I tried giving it slightly darker darks and much brighter brights, and IMHO it looks significantly better.

As for the model, there's a lot of detail on the held model that will never be visible in-game, mostly the entire trigger section. The texture HRPistArm.gif can even be deleted with no visible effect in-game.

On the bright side, it didn't crash SS2, so there's that.
I've just scale the textures. Ok, for the audio lenght, I will copy those of the original files. HRPistArm.gif It's better to keep it: usually I play with higher FOV. Can you upload your fixes? I put also your name in the mod if you want.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

Replicator restrictions are in place for the good of whom?:
1 Guest is here.
PSI feels cyan to me.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
664afc5dc1f49