664af82fe644b

664af82fe697d
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS2 Purchasable Cyber Modules
Page: « 1 [2]
Read 8518 times  

664af82fe6f7aZylonBane

664af82fe6fe1
I think the idea of allowing to change difficulty mid-game (as is possible in many modern games as well) is to give people who are having a tough time a way to scale the game to their skills without having to restart.
The problem with changing the difficulty mid-game is that Dark isn't designed for that kind of nonsense. Thief doesn't let you change difficulty mid-mission, because when you start a mission there can be a lot of processing and setup based on the difficulty level. SS2 does the same thing when you enter a map for the first time.
Acknowledged by: voodoo47
664af82fe727e
What would be good is if you added a log into the game, where one of the crew is revealed to be a smuggler or thief, telling his accomplice that he's stashed the stolen Cyber Modules in that specific replicator.

The text/spoken speech would be something along the lines of:

"Jerry, I've stashed the Cyber Modules I took, they're in that replicator in the medical section, the one I was 'repairing' earlier. I've hid them there as the replication shielding will prevent anyone finding them accidentally when scanning for anything, as I *really* don't want to get caught with them. And if you do, then forget you know me. But don't forget I want 75% of what you get for them, it's me who's taking most of the risks. And don't hang about, to get past the anti-tampering on the replicator, I've had to fool it into thinking it's making CMs when in fact it's giving the real ones out. They're not listed yet, but if you hack the rep, then it'll hand them out like candy to you. I've set the nanite cost as low as I could, but I didn't have the authority to overwrite the ingredient table, sorry. Still, what we get for the CMs will make the nanites look like loose change."

This would explain why only one replicator can do this, and add one more (very small) aspect to the story of System Shock 2.
664af82fe75f1
The problem with changing the difficulty mid-game is that Dark isn't designed for that kind of nonsense. Thief doesn't let you change difficulty mid-mission, because when you start a mission there can be a lot of processing and setup based on the difficulty level. SS2 does the same thing when you enter a map for the first time.

When changing difficulty mid-game it apparently applies the changes on the fly that can be done that way  (eg the replicator prices). The other pre-calculated difficulty settings will follow as soon as the next level is loaded, which happens quite often in SS2. This behaviour still fits the idea of making things easier for a player who finds themselves in over their head, not? Or does it cause any problems?

664af82fe7765voodoo47

664af82fe77ba
as mentioned, some stuff is set up to only exist at certain difficulties, once you enter a level they blow up, and you won't be getting them back. so if you change the difficulty mid-game, you will and up with a weird hybrid of different difficulties. not detrimental, but definitely not proper either.

would compare it to activating/deactivating certain mods (the Repairman, RealSG, ObjShrink and similar) mid-game - while you can do that, slight issues will occur, and while they won't make the game go belly up, it's not something I would recommend.

also, no on adding more stuff like audiologs to this minimod, I have bigger fish to fry - the ghost mentioning multiple hacks of the replicator ought to be enough.
Acknowledged by: JML
664af82fe78c9
I mean, the normal use case will  be someone who runs out of ammo and wants an easier game. After a difficulty change they can buy ammo cheaper and continue on their merry way, as it has been since 1999. The alternative is to force them to restart the game.

664af82fe7969voodoo47

664af82fe79b6
yes, and that is most likely the reason it has made it into the final game, despite the flaws.
664af82fe7c52

also, no on adding more stuff like audiologs to this minimod, I have bigger fish to fry - the ghost mentioning multiple hacks of the replicator ought to be enough.

Fair enough, mate, it was just a thought.
664af82fe7e2a
Just bought the Recycler, after I've cleaned out Decks 1-5. I collected pretty much everything, and just recycled everything I don't need, like garbage, but also Psi-Hypos, Worm glasses, multiple implants, etc. Just in Decks 1-5 this is 678N, so maybe 6CM if you go crazy in these Decks (Recycler price is 150N). The nanites you pick are more than the one recycled I think. Still you need nanites for Ammo and Heals and Hacks, Repairs, etc. I don't think you can get a lot over 20 CM with this mod, so not OP at all, given that you will have less Ammo if you use 2000N on 20CMs

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

A familiar passcode with 3 digits:
1 Guest is here.
it's a nanite driven world. with monkeys, ninjas and zombies. ~v47
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
664af82fe7f31