🔒 System Shock 1 custom High Quality Soundfont

1 Guest is here.
Page: 1/12▶▶
663383c528068
Deu sexQuote
Hi everyone, it's been quite a while now that I'm using System Shock Portable, and I must say I love it !

But they are two things that really annoys me about it :

- the fact that I can't play it in 1280x1080 / the fact that 1024x768 lags hard
- the quality of the sound, which is very poor

if I unfortunately can't do anything about the first thing, I can for the second !
I've been using WeedsGM3 and its cool but I don't feel that satisfied with it, It is great for DOOM for example, but for system shock some sounds still feels very weak.

So I decided to create a custom soundfont dedicated to System Shock !

I'm not a sound engineer so I don't have the necessary skills to actually create sounds, but with the help of some softwares, it is possible to create a custom soundfont based on multiple ones, to just pick the sounds you like from a specific soundfont or an other, and create a single big soundfont that way.

I didn't started seriously yet, but I just merged the hard way WeedsGM3 and GiantSoundfont and it has a quite good quality ! So I'm convinced that doing a proper work on selecting precisely sounds from different common soundfonts can give us a good sound quality for all instruments used in System Shock :)

And what about you ? Did someone tried something yet ? What do you think of this idea ?
663383c52830d
KolyaQuote
This thread might interest you: System Shock 1, using BASSMIDI for higher quality music with soundfonts (.sf2)
663383c5283ea
Deu sexQuote
Yes I love this thread ty :) that's what got me into thoose soundfonts stuff ! I think I'm going to download all of them and see what I can do with them already.
663383c528592
Deu sexQuote
It's been quite a while (more than a year) and I was too busy with other things, but I have finally started the selected merging I was talking about in the original post.

I am using "Polyphone" to do the job, I have absolutely 0 skills in MIDI editing or else, so I'm learning everything from scratch ! So it takes time... but after dozens of hours of work I have a pretty descent and concrete result.

I am working with GiantSoundfont v6 beta as the "base", and I edit sounds in it, replace some sounds with others, and import and replace sounds when I found other soundfonts doing a better job for a specific sound.

My internet is unfortunately very slow, but I should be able to upload the 'wip' soundfont in the upcoming days (in worst case scenario) so people will be able to listen the sounds and judge is they are descent enouth or not :)
663383c528728
Deu sexQuote
Some news ! It's been a while, I now have optical fiber, and I'm getting way deeper into MIDI music, for games, but also for music in general !

So I've been able to upload the custom soundfont for SS, It's still very beta and I need to set volumes properly, and some instruments are still out of place,
but you can get the general idea, in some places, it sounds very good !

For a reminder I didn't make the sounds from scratch, I modified them, so this is a modification of the Giant Soundfont specially made for System Shock, it can work for other games but might sound a little dizzy, also since it's not cleaned yet it's very heavy (500+ Mb)

Enjoy ! https://mega.nz/#!rsZmCRLZ!7CE4VwcHUVxp3o_K6lgJjXZ_m-WxjWG9HSNhSVwkhNo
Acknowledged by: Hikari
Page: 1/12▶▶

Legal stuff

Privacy Policy & Terms of Service Contact